2013-14 Sleepers -- Who will be the next Chandler Parsons? - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leftovers

2013-14 Sleepers -- Who will be the next Chandler Parsons?

Moderator: Basketball Moderators

2013-14 Sleepers -- Who will be the next Chandler Parsons?

Postby Snibbler » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:13 am

Hi,

Here's a couple of my sleepers for this coming year:

1. Lance Stephenson
2. Norris Cole
3. John Henson
4. Tiago Splitter
5. Eric Bledsoe
6. Ty Lawson (not really a sleeper but I see him being much better than last year)

All of these guys were in the 200+ rank last year and ended up closer to 100. Stephenson was a beast in the playoffs, Cole was inconsistent but he's a younger guard on a team that will need some youth (I see his minutes going up), Henson seems to be tearing up the summer league, Splitter signed a big contract which means that he'll spell Duncan more. Plus, he was fairly efficient last year. Bledsoe on the Suns means mid round value (or better) in my book. Ty Lawson was my number one pick last year (had the 11th pick). He was mediocre and injured throughout the year. Had a stellar playoffs however and they lost Igs who seemed to be taking away his assists. I seem him possible first round value this year.

Love to hear your comments,

Paul aka "The Snibbler"
Snibbler
Towel Boy

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: 2013 Sleepers or who will be the next Chandler Parsons?

Postby wesbaedke » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:02 pm

Hey Paul...first post in the cafe.

First of all, I don't see Lawson as a sleeper. I see him drafted in the second - third round in most drafts and that should be pretty close to his value. I don't see him producing first round numbers.

Here are some of the guys I'd keep my eye on in the draft:

1 - Jonas Valanciunas -- Huge summer league and will be getting a nice usage/minutes bump next season Bargs gone. Expecting big things.
2 - Jimmy Butler -- Great numbers as a starter last season. He should benefit with Rose's return and Rip's departure (obviously). A lot to like in his game and he's only gonna get better.
3 - Kelly Olynyk -- Should lead the rookies in minutes this season. Has a great NBA ready body and wouldn't surprise me if he avgs a double double. Very good value in the later rounds.
4 -- Eric Gordon -- Remember him? Will be interesting to see where he's going to end up in ADP-wise. Most managers will be concerned about his injury risk (and rightfully so) but he has the potential to provide extremely high value, especially if he gets picked up in the mid-late rounds.

Those are the four I'm going to go with at this point. Still early but these are guys I'll be watching closely leading up to my draft in early Oct.

I do like your Henson pick (minutes might still be a concern) and Bledsoe for sure if his ADP will be in the 6th-8th rds. Tough to call EB a sleeper...a lot of hype will be accompanying him this preseason.
wesbaedke
Playground Pundit
Playground Pundit

(Past Year: 50)

Postby geodbear » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:25 pm

Always fun to think about sleepers. On the players mentioned,

1) Stephenson: He would be an insurance/handcuff pick in case of injury to Granger. He averaged 29 mpg last season, and he would need to get into the 30's to possibly break in the top 100.

2) Cole: I don't see getting enough minutes and even then, it would have to take major injuries to Wade and Chalmers. Chalmers is still ahead of him and Lebron, Wade, and Bosh are too much talent to get Cole enough usage. He should only be considered in deep (250+ player) leagues even if that.

3) Henson: I like Henson a lot as a player but the big question is whether he gets enough minutes. New Coach Drew reportedly likes him, but Milwaukee's front court is still full with Ilyasova and Sanders starting. Henson shares backup minutes with Pachulia, Udoh, and some foreign guy maybe. If he can get 20-25 mpg on a regular basis, then he's got utility/bench value.

4) Splitter: I think he can certainly be #2 center on a fantasy team. If he can be drafted in late rounds, he's a sleeper. Depends on the league.

5) Bledsoe: I don't think he qualifies as a sleeper unless you are looking at public leagues. He's got a lot of hype and it's clear that Hornacek will give him plenty of minutes in a high-paced offence. He could get top 40 value, but he likely gets drafted by the middle rounds.

6) Lawson: Yes, not a sleeper, and should be much better than last year. He'll be drafted 2nd-3rd rounds and likely produce his draft value.

7) Valanciunas: He's getting hype, probably not a sleeper. Will be drafted in the middle rounds.

8) Butler: I think he's well regarded in fantasy circles. Good upside. I can see him cracking top 100 value, but likely to get drafted around there too.

9) Olynyk: I agree he's a good sleeper candidate on paper, in particular, because he could get a lot of playing time. Someone like Vucevic comes to mind when you have a big man get a lot of minutes, but Olynyk doesn't really have a low post build or game. The Celtics could play Humphries some minutes at center or, if you want a deep sleeper, Faverani might be a candidate.

10) Gordon: I agree with him being potentially good value if you can pick him up in the late-mid rounds, though I cap his high value in the to 50-70 range, because he'll have Holiday and Evans contending for the ball.

And to toss out a couple of other names:

11) J.J. Redick: He looks to be a regular full-time starter for the first time in his seven year career. Getting 30+ minutes/game. He should be a good pick up in the late rounds.

12) Evan Fournier: He played well when he started late last season. He's young, and could be the starter. Or he could be losing minutes to the likes of Randy Foye and Nate Robinson, and not be much.
Yes, Warriors sold at last!
geodbear

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 266)

Postby wesbaedke » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:12 pm

Good call on JJ and EF...both should be solid late flyers. Was disappointed in Fournier this summer but he's proven a lot already and I really like his fit this season with Iggy gone.

Honestly, it's tough to identify sleepers at this point and as you mention...a sleeper in one league is likely not in a more experienced league. Sleepers are more easily identified when "experts" put out their rankings and we can start identifying ADP trends, etc. Obviously FF is all about sleepers at this point with the season only 2-3 weeks away. We'll have a better idea the first couple weeks of October who the potential steals are gonna be....but it's never to early to start discussing!
wesbaedke
Playground Pundit
Playground Pundit

(Past Year: 50)

Postby Snibbler » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:31 am

Hi guys,

Thanks for the reply's -- yes this was my first post on Fantasy Cafe. My best friend is Michael Deen who was a big poster a few years back. He got me into FBB and then suggested this site, especially through the "slow" summer months of the offseason. I've only played FBB for two years but have been an NBA Junkie since I was in high school (class of '87). Thus, I really enjoyed it and I did pretty well but made some rookie mistakes like drafting Rondo early and last year falling for Ty Lawson in the first round thinking b/c he tore up the Lakers in the first round of the 2012 playoffs. When really it was the same thing for years, speedy point guard kills the Lakers.

I wanted to suggestions/logic as to draft strategy. There are a few guys that I really want to make sure I get (if possible):

Marc Gasol -- huge numbers all the way around but I love the fact he is a big who hits free throws which is also why I'd like to get Jonas Valacius (sp?)
John Wall - I know he doesn't really get threes but he killed it in the last half of the season and I think he really wants to prove his dominance. Plus, he gets a good share of steal and blocks for a PG.
Anthony Davis - I see him as also being huge with blocks, high FT%, and rebounds. Won't need to be the man in NO.
Al Horford - Got the guy in my second round last year and he was great all year, see him even being better next year with the lost of Josh Smith. He'll definitely be the man for the Hawks next year.

It seems like it's critical to get two good centers early as well as one of the best PG's for assists.

I know I can't have them all but if I get 2 I'll be happy. Depends on the draft order. I was able to draft Kawhi Leanard in the 8th round last year. His value is going to skyrocket after last year, though. Don't know if I want to spend a fourth rounder on him this year but he was awesome for me. Seems like Jeff Green in in line for a huge year with the rebuild in Boston.

Yes, forgot about Butler -- picked him off the waiver wire mid season and he was amazing. Evan Fornier -- hadn't thought about him but he might be a late look. What about Ben Mclemore? Seems like he might supplant IT as Kings PG.

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions!

Paul
"The Snibbler"
Snibbler
Towel Boy

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Phil O'Pastry » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:26 pm

Stephenson
Kanter
Derrick Williams
Harris and Harkless (although, they may be over-rated in some fantasy circles)
Robin Lopez
Brandon Knight
Jared Dudley
Phil O'Pastry
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Response Team
(Past Year: 153)

Re: 2013-14 Sleepers -- Who will be the next Chandler Parson

Postby spud_webb_04 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:10 am

One guy i like alot too for next season is markieff morris, he had a couple of great fantasy lines at the end of the season (one really crazy one too).
If he gets in the starting five, i think he will be huge.
spud_webb_04
College Captain
College Captain

Response Team
(Past Year: 141)

Postby ggs » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:51 pm

spud_webb_04 wrote:One guy i like alot too for next season is markieff morris, he had a couple of great fantasy lines at the end of the season (one really crazy one too).
If he gets in the starting five, i think he will be huge.

someone's gotta play PF there...

im buying on nate robinson late rounds if possible.
ggs
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 146)

Postby spud_webb_04 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:49 pm

What about marshon brooks, burks and possibly jenkins ?
Also moultrie might be handy next year
spud_webb_04
College Captain
College Captain

Response Team
(Past Year: 141)

Postby Phil O'Pastry » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:30 pm

spud_webb_04 wrote:What about marshon brooks, burks and possibly jenkins ?
Also moultrie might be handy next year

I like Moultrie for deep leagues.

One guy I am keeping an eye on... Reggie Jackson. Someone has to play the 6th man role vacated by Kevin Martin and I think it may be him. Lamb would be the other option.
Phil O'Pastry
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Response Team
(Past Year: 153)

Next

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leftovers