Draft Commentary - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to 2012 Mock Draft

Draft Commentary

Moderator: jphanned

Draft Commentary

Postby jphanned » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:12 am

The draft will commence on Wednesday, August 15. ;-D

Just a refresher for the returners and a note to the new guys -- because this mock draft is used primarily as a learning tool (for both the guys drafting and the viewers), the mentioning of undrafted players is perfectly fine. Feel free to talk about who else you were considering at your spot, how Player A will affect Player B's value, or anything else along those lines.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Draft Commentary

Postby Fenris-77 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:20 pm

Picking second this year is pretty much the easiest pick in fantasy. ;-D This should be fun.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 278)

Postby Grounded Polo » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:50 am

I think 9th isn't a terrible back end pick, still have my top 9 guys, then 10-15 seems like it could change at any moment.
Grounded Polo
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 24)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Fenris-77 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:03 am

I'd rather pick 9th than, say, 5th or 6th. The end of the first round could be a power house this year for the prepared drafter too.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 278)

Postby jay_00 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:32 am

I really hate picking from the 5-8 spots, always. Ive always enjoyed being near the turns.
jay_00
College Captain
College Captain

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 49)

Postby RedHopeful » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:14 pm

Jay and everyone else - you should include a brief summary with at least your first few picks or so. I'm curious as to why you picked Durant over James and Paul. ;-D
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 641)

Postby jay_00 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:16 pm

So i know Lebron is ranked number 1, but id rather build a team around Durant than Lebron. Durant was number 1 last pre season, so it would not be much of a surprise if they switched places again next year. To me, i feel like Durant has more potential. Plus its harder to pass up Durants volume of 3pters made with his nice fg%. I also noticed Lebrons assists have gone down the last 3 seasons (8.6, 7, 6.2) while Durants assists went up slightly last season. I also like building around Durants high volume ft%.
jay_00
College Captain
College Captain

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 49)

Postby So-Tex » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:00 pm

I won a roto leage over at Busersports last season, drafting Durant first overall. So this move doesn't surprise me when drafting for roto. I just think Durant's overall game is more suited to roto than anything else, especially with FT% being so hard to make up ground in during the season.

And then there's that whole personal issue I have with LeBrat... ;-7 But not that that should cloud anyone's judgement. ;-)

And I agree...drafting 6th sucks... :-P
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 181)

Postby jphanned » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:43 pm

Just a heads up that this mock is ROTO-based. Main/only reason being that I want it to reflect BPA rather than team-specific strategy. Can justify players 3-4 rounds earlier than they should go if you're punting a few categories, but in a ROTO format where you have to account for their categorical weaknesses, it's more likely to reflect overall value.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Postby dcdoorknob » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:50 pm

First mild surprise for me was Love over Paul at 3. I'd be perfectly happy with Love at 4th in any draft (roto or h2h), but I just can't actually justify him above any of the top 3 personally.
dcdoorknob
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 77)

Next

Return to 2012 Mock Draft