2013-2014 1st Round - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leftovers

2013-2014 1st Round

Moderator: Basketball Moderators

2013-2014 1st Round

Postby jay_00 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:18 am

Its still super early, but man i can't help but notice that next years fantasy season just might be the deepest in talent (when it comes to the 1st and 2nd rounds) that we have seen in years. It seems like there's talent all over the 1st round. Here's how i see it playing out barring any injuries of course:

1. Kevin Durant
2. LeBron James
3. Chris Paul
4. James Harden
5. Stephen Curry
6. Kyrie Irving
7. Dwayne Wade
8. Derrick Rose
9. Carmelo Anthony
10. Kobe Bryant
11. Kevin Love
12. Russell Westbrook

That's just the 1st round!! After the 4th pick, any of those guys can be pretty much switched for each other. That's just crazy to me. Of course some of these guys are nursing injuries at the moment, so hopefully everything will be ok by early next season.

That leaves plenty of talented bigs in the 2nd and 3rd rounds (Horford/Lopez/Sanders/Ibaka/Jefferson/Aldridge). There's even some talented up and comers like Lillard, Paul George, Ty Lawson, and Batum. That still leaves vets like Nowitzki and Duncan hanging around. Next year will probably be the first year in a longgggg time that Deron and Josh Smith dont get selected in the first 2 rounds. That's what you call deep.
jay_00
College Captain
College Captain

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 75)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: 2013-2014 1st Round

Postby jphanned » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:25 pm

Yeah this may be the first year in a while where you want to pick at the tail end rather than in the middle. No more being forced into taking guys like Deron/Bynum/Dwight.

Your early list isn't bad, but there's no way I'm drafting Rose, Kobe, or even Melo ahead of Russ. The debate at 5/6/7 should be between Steph, Kyrie, and Russ. Also suspect that I'll have Paul George ahead of Kobe in my early '13-'14 rankings.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby silentjim » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:11 pm

Going to be a great 1st round next season for sure.At this minute I think I'd go:

1. Kevin Durant
2. Lebron James
3. Chris Paul
4. James Harden
5. Stephen Curry
6. Kyrie Irving
7. Kevin Love
8. Russell Westbrook
9. Dwyane Wade
10. Derrick Rose
11. Carmelo Anthony
12. Paul George

I agree that the middle might be the most volatile because of injuries and youth.

Kobe, Gasol, Ibaka, LMA, Al Jefferson, Batum, Horford, Smith and etc would all be great second round picks.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 794)

Postby RedHopeful » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:39 pm

I'll tell you right now that those with higher risk for injuries (I'm looking at you Irving) are going to be lower on my sheet than practically anyone else.
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 708)

Postby jphanned » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:39 am

RedHopeful wrote:I'll tell you right now that those with higher risk for injuries (I'm looking at you Irving) are going to be lower on my sheet than practically anyone else.

Yeah a fair point on Irving. Gotta throw Love into that group too.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jphanned » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:32 am

One thing I'll struggle with: how big of an injury risk is Steph? He's made it through a full year without incident, but just 5-6 months ago I wanted very little to do with him because of his ankle. I'm still a bit uneasy going all in on him.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

Postby silentjim » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:41 am

Rounders Block wrote:One thing I'll struggle with: how big of an injury risk is Steph? He's made it through a full year without incident, but just 5-6 months ago I wanted very little to do with him because of his ankle. I'm still a bit uneasy going all in on him.

The injuries are literally why I prefaced mine with at this minute. Some more reasonable thinking might make me knock Irving and Curry down a notch. Not sure I'd put Love into that category because I consider this season to be an anomaly despite him screwing me over.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 794)

Postby Grounded Polo » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:51 am

1. Kevin Durant - Duh.
2. Lebron James - Duh. Now that I paid up for him in the cafe auction and reaped the benefits, I'm convinced that getting either guy in a snake draft means you really have to mess up to not get a top 3 finish. I'm hoping I finally get to pick this high for once.
3. Chris Paul - Giving him the edge for safety over Harden.
4. James Harden - Duh.
5. Marc Gasol - Not peacocking, I think Gasol should get serious consideration this high. Extremely high floor, no Rudy Gay around, Z-Bo is another year older. You guys are willing to roll the dice on injury prone guards over rock solid centers? A punt points build could be a reality for me.
6. Russell Westbrook - Durable, high floor, what's not to like?
7. Dwyane Wade - Can the cafe doubters apologize? Guy was fantastic this year, don't see why he can't do it again next year.
8. Paul George - Fantasy beast, don't see Granger getting in his way ever again. I see him only going upwards, contributes everywhere.
9. Stephen Curry - We all knew he would be top 5 if he stayed healthy, the same people who wouldn't take him in the first 3 rounds now want to draft him fifth because he had a healthy season this time around? Show some restraint.
10. Kyrie Irving - Basically the same as Curry but he can't go higher than Curry in any drafts since his fantasy upside isn't as high.
11. LaMarcus Aldridge - Did anyone who took him in the mid 1st this year feel cheated? He's still ranked 15th this year, no reason to let him go in the 2nd round.
12. Kevin Love - I'll bump him up to at least 8th if the right hand news is promising.

Derrick Rose will obviously go in the 1st in he looks like his old self in the playoffs. Melo is a massive gamble in the first round to me, I'd be more willing to buy if his improvements were from better efficiency rather than more 3 pointers. I'd still rather get Kobe in the second round or I'll pass.
Grounded Polo
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 28)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jphanned » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:01 pm

Marc falls into the spot Pau has occupied for the last 5+ years. Solid and reliable late-first, early-second round pick. 5 is a bit high, even for my liking.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

Postby RedHopeful » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:23 am

Rounders Block wrote:One thing I'll struggle with: how big of an injury risk is Steph? He's made it through a full year without incident, but just 5-6 months ago I wanted very little to do with him because of his ankle. I'm still a bit uneasy going all in on him.

Yep, but the way I'm feeling right now, I don't expect him on any of my teams in redraft leagues. ;-7
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 708)

Next

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leftovers