Coach of the Year - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leftovers

Coach of the Year

Moderator: Basketball Moderators

Coach of the Year

Postby silentjim » Wed May 08, 2013 8:51 pm

George Karl won coach of the year and I can't really complain too much.

Sad to see guys like Thibs, Mark Jackson, and even Kevin McHale not get more credit. Whoever the jerk who voted for Del Negro is, needs a wake up call.

I guess my only thought is that if Coach of the Year is always based on record, then why have it? Why does Scott Brooks get no credit when his team plays well and they lost Harden, but Spo in Miami gets all the credit in the East despite playing a much easier conference.

I would have liked to see more votes for Brooks, Thibs, Mark Jackson, McHale, Doc Rivers, Frank Vogel, and Lionel Hollins. I'm torn on Mike Woodson and it appears the voters were too. Not many first place votes, but more second place votes than anyone.

http://www.nba.com/2013/news/05/08/geor ... year-2013/
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 734)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Coach of the Year

Postby jphanned » Wed May 08, 2013 9:40 pm

That VDN got more votes than Doc is an absolute joke. Love the job that Mark Jackson did in GS, and Woody gets a lot of credit for dealing with so many injuries as well as juggling a roster full of players with AARP cards.

Pop and Spo are locks in my top-five every year. Pop is simply the best coach in the league by a wide margin, and the system he has in place allows him to sub players in and out of the starting lineup interchangeably. Spo was one of the first on board with the positionless revolution, and his willingness to play LeBron at PF (among many other things) has given the Heat a tremendous edge over other teams. Their success with it was really the impetus for other teams (namely Woody and the Knicks with Melo) to embrace it.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 403)

Postby silentjim » Thu May 09, 2013 2:15 am

Rounders Block wrote:That VDN got more votes than Doc is an absolute joke. Love the job that Mark Jackson did in GS, and Woody gets a lot of credit for dealing with so many injuries as well as juggling a roster full of players with AARP cards.

Pop and Spo are locks in my top-five every year. Pop is simply the best coach in the league by a wide margin, and the system he has in place allows him to sub players in and out of the starting lineup interchangeably. Spo was one of the first on board with the positionless revolution, and his willingness to play LeBron at PF (among many other things) has given the Heat a tremendous edge over other teams. Their success with it was really the impetus for other teams (namely Woody and the Knicks with Melo) to embrace it.

I'm down on Spo in general and am in the camp that he's basically around as a scapegoat in case of failure, but I hadn't really given him too much credit on the positionless revolution. I think technically speaking, the positionless revolution works when you have an elite superstar who can cause match-up problems and who you want to play as much as possible. I think Pat Riley even mentioned multiple times if he had a Patrick Ewing or Alonzo Mourning he'd be playing traditional basketball, he just doesn't think there as many good bigs anymore.

I think I also give Pat Riley a lot of the credit for the positionless revolution as opposed to just Spo. I'll also say that I think there are historically quite a few other teams who've implemented similar strategies. Realistically, the Nash led Suns from a few years ago featured Shawn Marion and Amare Stoudemire playing up a position. I still think basketball has three positions. PG, Wings, and PF/C no matter how you word it. I think the NBA all-star game suggesting moving to two guards and three forwards is a little weird and takes away from legit centers. Let's just move to the five players who receive the most votes.

Technically speaking I'm not sure anyone has implemented positionless as much as Miami, but I find it interesting that Chris "Birdman" Andersen seems extremely necessary and pivotal during this seasons playoffs. Miami plays positions, they just don't play legit centers ever because they don't have any. Lebron playing a point forward is clearly nothing new for the NBA as many teams have done that (Odom and Pippen come to mind).

I'm cynical for sure, I just don't think it's as revolutionary as some might think and I don't think Spo deserves credit for it. All that being said Miami did win a lot of games in a row and he deserves some credit for that. Agreed that he should get some votes, but top 5 I might disagree with. Pop is so good people always forget.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 734)

Postby bujfan2030 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:17 pm

I think the voting is generally influenced by the writers perception of who won the most games with the least amount of talent. And to be fair it's a vote that lends itself to subjectivity. We know so little about how to quantify a lot of the things a coach does:
X's and O's
in game adjustments
Minute Management
Player development
Player Motivation
We could bottom line it and go with ORating and D-rating but those are imperfect and there's a lot of beat writers out there who don't embrace any kind of analysis yet.
Super Sneaky Hops
bujfan2030
Head Coach
Head Coach

Response TeamLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 88)

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leftovers