Draft Strategy - Position Depth - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leftovers

Draft Strategy - Position Depth

Moderator: Basketball Moderators

Draft Strategy - Position Depth

Postby Celts4life » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:25 pm

Im trying to come up with a bit of strategy for my draft thats coming up next week and i was curious to see what order people would rank the positions in regards to depth this year. Is SG the weakest or SF? what is the deepest? If you could rank them in order of least depth to most depth (PG, SG, SF, PF, C)
Thanks
Celts4life
Playground Pundit
Playground Pundit

(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Draft Strategy - Position Depth

Postby NikkiSixx » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:24 am

PG
C

the rest are easy to fill out for me.
NikkiSixx
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 30)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yilun » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:52 am

I'd say PG to C as well.

There are a few aging PG's who have now been relegated to bench roles (i.e. Mo Williams, Jason Terry)
There are less PG's due to log-jams (i.e. Vasquez and Thomas + Jrue and Evans)
There are PG's who are still injured (i.e. Westbrook, Rondo, Lou Williams, etc.)

I think PG's are definitely going to be a bit thin this season.
*rocking the new blamer sig*
Yilun
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 7)
Location: The confines of reality are too grand for my imaginative capacity

Postby lightbulb » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:02 am

i'd say sg has the least depth. well it actually depends on how you look at depth. there are some sg, but not really top tier players other than harden, with kobe injured and wade's questionable knees
lightbulb
Towel Boy

(Past Year: 3)

Postby justkidding » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:49 pm

i have done a few drafts and the good PG and C are getting snapped up quickly (always the case!), and quite a bit of reaching going on. means there is good value in SG/SF in mid rounds. so get a quality pg or two + two or three big men in first 5 rounds and you will be set up.

go big early and often! my 2c
justkidding
Driveway Dunker
Driveway Dunker

(Past Year: 8)

Postby skywalker14 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:04 pm

I've been trying something in a few of the mock drafts I've been doing. I've been alternating strictly between C and PG for the first 4-6 rounds (unless of course i have one of the first 2 picks.. then I'm getting a SF :) )

It's been working well, actually. I get great depth at the PG/C positions and if i can pick up guys with multi position eligibility, it's even better (guys like George Hill are PG/SG eligible. and i LOVE getting point guard production from the SG position)

So ideally after round 6 you've got 3 PG's with one SG eligibility, and 3 C's with maybe 1 or 2 having PF eligibility. If you've drafted right, your set for assists, rebounds, and blocks (maybe even steals too!). That's when I would start thinking about guys who are SG/SF eligible. Wilson Chandler, Gordon Hayward, Evan Turner, and to a lesser degree Korver or Danny Green.

Give it a try in the mock!
skywalker14
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Response Team
(Past Year: 150)

Postby Fenris-77 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:38 pm

skywalker14 wrote: That's when I would start thinking about guys who are SG/SF eligible. Wilson Chandler, Gordon Hayward, Evan Turner, and to a lesser degree Korver or Danny Green.

I've also mostly been filling out SG/SF a little later in drafts and it's worked out pretty well. That said, I'd take both Green and especially Korver way before I'd even look at Evan Turner. Hayward is in the same tier as the other two for me, at least for 9 cat. For 8 cat I'd bump Hayward up a little.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 261)

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leftovers