Has Larry Sanders Peaked? - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper & Waiver Questions

Has Larry Sanders Peaked?

Moderator: Basketball Moderators

Has Larry Sanders Peaked?

Postby Phil O'Pastry » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:25 pm

I guess the title says it all. Sanders has just had a great season, do you guys think he will improve upon it, or, is it a one off? How do you guys project him moving forward?
Phil O'Pastry
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Response Team
(Past Year: 153)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Has Larry Sanders Peaked?

Postby silentjim » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:46 pm

Not sure if he can improve a ton on it, but I don't think it's a one off either. If you look at his per 36 minute stats from his first three seasons they aren't drastically different. So assuming he can nab 25-30 minutes a game I think you can expect similar numbers from him. He is pretty foul prone though, so assuming much more than his current minutes played if he tries to increase his role might be a bit rough. His rebounding percentages have all gone up from season to season, which I'm sure is him learning (and more defined role) though technically his blocks % have come down. Offensively, his scoring and FG% will probably be based on what happens with the guard situations, which might make some a little hesitant on where to draft him. As crazy as Jennings is sometimes, he was pseudo trying to find open looks for guys before scoring, where Ellis is truly a shoot first type of player (in the past anyway).
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 726)

Postby jphanned » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:13 pm

Has he peaked? No. Wouldn't expect a major bump in his value moving forward, but there's still some room for growth, especially on the offensive end.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 402)

Postby spud_webb_04 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:02 pm

I like him alot and he will be on my shortlist on many drafts
spud_webb_04
College Captain
College Captain

Response Team
(Past Year: 141)

Postby Fenris-77 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:01 pm

It depends on what you mean by peaked I guess. At this point I don't think he'll make great strides fantasy-wise anywhere. He's already shooting over .500, rebounding the leather off the ball and blocking out the sun. None of that is going to improve much (since it's already really good). He also cut his TOs and PFs way back from the previous season, so his ability to stay on the court is trending in the right direction. At best I think you see him play another 3-4 minutes a game, which should account for a modest bump in counting stats. Think maybe 10.5/10.5 with 3 Blk per and just over a steal. The points could be a touch better if he works on his offense over the summer and if the Bucks replace Ellis with a less ball dominant two guard.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 358)

Postby Vic Vinegar » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:28 pm

How do you think the addition of Larry Drew will help or hinder Sanders' production?

I'll defer to someone with a more intimate knowledge of Drew's offense, but he's made some comments that Sanders and Henson could see expanded offensive roles:

"This team has really good young talent. Young talent that I'm excited about developing," Drew said. "The big guys are going to be a big part of the future. Their development is going to be very important, but you can't teach height, you can't teach length."
Drew said he's not committed to a specific offensive style -- "I'm not a big fan of predictability. Offensively, I think that's very easy to defend." -- but Milwaukee's two young big men, Henson and Larry Sanders, will have big roles.

Of course, that could just be coachspeak and we won't really know much until training camp. But I'm curious if any of you view Drew's presence as a positive or negative for Sanders.
Vic Vinegar
Towel Boy

Postby jphanned » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:12 am

I see it is a slight positive (if that). Drew isn't necessarily a bad hire, but it's tough to view his work so far and be overwhelmingly optimistic. He's a pretty good X's and O's coach who preaches defense, but bottom line - he won't have much of an impact on the Bucks' W-L total. What I did like during his tenure is that he added some wrinkles to involve both big men (4-5 PNR with Smoove, Horford), which is promising.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 402)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper & Waiver Questions