The League Rules - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Bonanza Keeper

The League Rules

Moderators: silentjim, RedHopeful

Postby MeShawn » Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:40 pm

Hey silentjim, sorry it's taken me so long to respond. You bring up a good point and I've thought about it the past few days. At first, I leaned towards what you are suggesting, but after further thought, I think we should keep it the way it is.

I figure that the teams that got the first draft pick were in very poor shape to start with. If you compare Turmoil (Dirk, Arenas, Odom, JRich, MoPete) and Undefeated's predraft teams (Nash, AK-47, Marion, JHoward, DWest) to what Nene (Peja, Boozer, DHoward, Diaw, Villanueva) and Jaytizy (Duncan, Melo, JSmith, AMiller, TMac) started out with, there's a significant difference.

Awarding the weakest teams higher picks may seem like enough compensation, but it's hard to tell whether having a higher pick in the 1st is better than two back to back picks. For example, this year, I much preferred my combo of Manu and Battier than anything early in the 1st and late in the 2nd.

Mainly we're trying to promote parity and give everyone a chance to be competitive every year. I think that the weaker teams deserve as small a privilege as a good waiver priority. Silentjim, we can revisit this topic next offseason if you'd like, but for now, we're going to keep the priorities as it is.
MeShawn
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby silentjim » Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:07 pm

Sounds good, I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't a mistake as opposed to a thought out process. I agree that there seems to be quite a difference between some of the teams, so if we think this is a good way to make the league more competitive I'm definitely down with that.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 564)
Home Cafe: Basketball

The League Rules - Additional Discussion

Postby The Thrill » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:14 pm

Additional League Rule Discussions - merged topic here.
The Thrill
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 252)

Re: The League Rules

Postby jaytizy » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:10 pm

Are we allowed to execute trades during the draft?
a goal without a plan is a wish
jaytizy
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby The Thrill » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:01 pm

I thought there was a rule that we're not allowed to trade during the draft, but I'm not seeing it. :-? Well, I'm open for discussion of the topic. My only concern is I don't want trading to hold up the draft too much (then again, we start the draft early enough so that shouldn't be a problem). We have some time yet for discussion, so here goes.

My suggestion
If we trade during the draft, I'd like to impose some type of restriction (specifically if the trade impacts the next draft slot). I.e. within 12 hours after the last pick was made, a trade must be announced if it impacts the immediate/current draft slot. Then, after the trade has been announced, it has 24 hours in which it can be passed or rejected (remember needs four votes one way or another). Given that we're all knowledgable and active here, I would suggest that if, after 24 hours of the trade being announced during the draft, it is not rejected with four votes (or Commish deems unfair), then the trade passes and drafting resumes. The next member to draft has 12 hours after the trade passage or rejection window to make their next pick. So, if the trade passes with four votes within four hours of being posted, then the draftee has 12 hours from that specific point in time to make their pick.

Trades that impact other picks other than the current pick will simply have 24 hours to be passed and can be announced anytime.

All trades must be equal (no 2-for-1 or 3-for-1), however, you can trade two picks for two players on an existing roster.

Thoughts on that? :-?

To make it simple, if you're ok with trading during the draft, please note so in your reply. If you're ok with the language I've laid out above, please note so. If you have comments or suggested changes to that language, speak up. ;-D
The Thrill
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 252)

Postby bokzg » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:38 pm

I'm fine with the language Thrill came up with except for the time allowed for trades impacting the current pick. Although there's probably no real good reason for it, aside from impatience, I don't like the idea of picks being held up by trading. The way I see it, all trades should have to work within the time limits of the draft picks themselves, i.e. if you only have 12 more hours until your pick is due, then you only have 12 hours to post, confirm, and get approval for the trade. This will encourage people to plan out their trades early and not make last minute offers that will slow the draft down for everyone else.

However, that's just a suggestion and I will not oppose the implementation of the language as Thrill wrote it out. I think it'd be annoying to have trades be posted potentially an hour before a pick is due, leading to an additional 11 hour wait for the pick to be made, but it wouldn't impact the draft that much in the big picture.
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 68)

Postby RobitusinZ » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:54 pm

Hey guys, good luck with the league. Sorry that it seemed I bailed, but I honestly wasn't even thinking of fantasy basketball until September. This isn't the only league where I've been replaced...guess next year I'll just have to be a lot earlier.
thanks for the sig, soty!

"It takes more than mathematical strategies to beat me." - Shaquille "The Big Aristotle" O'Neal
RobitusinZ
Head Coach
Head Coach

Previous

Return to Bonanza Keeper