FBC Octagon Rules - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Octagon

FBC Octagon Rules

Moderators: jphanned, samo

Postby samo » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:37 pm

I was hoping someone else would handle muquas' question but I'll take it on. H2H scoring by "categories not weeks" essentially means a manager gets more credit for winning a weekly match-up 7-2 than he does for winning 6-3, and 6-3 is better than 5-4 and, likewise, you're better off fighting hard for a 4-5 loss than just giving up and losing 1-8. The idea is to fight to win every category you possibly can get each week over the course of the entire season and, yes, it is the default way Yahoo H2H uses to rank teams prior to the H2H playoffs, by overall win/loss %% in every category every week. This does not preclude a manager from choosing to load up on certain categories but it does reward those managers who find a way to dominate in as many categories as possible.
samo
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby muquas » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:44 pm

OK, so it's the same as most H2H leagues are. The posts made it sound a lot more complicated and with the amount of explanation there, it seemed like we were doing it differently than how Yahoo does it.

The other question is regarding how a top 6 H2H manager over the course of the regular season can not lose his top 6 status even if he loses every game in the playoffs. What are the bottom 6 playing for? If they could overtake a top 6 regular season manager through a superb playoff performance, that would make sense. I'm not sure what that paragraph was intending to say.
muquas
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby samo » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:56 pm

Sorry if it seemed complicated, we wanted to explicitly spell it out b/c several managers suggested a preference for keeping score by weekly win %% (ie. a 5-4 win would be equal to a 7-2 win) and we decided in favor of the way I described above.

Regarding your question about what we're getting at with the Top 6 of a Champion's H2H league not losing their spot in the upper 6 of the league (and hence their right to remain in the upper league the following year) by reason of the H2H fantasy playoffs, the problem of simply going by overall winning %% for the season including playoffs is that the #6 seed plays the #3 seed in Week 1 of playoffs, then most likely the #1 seed, then another top seed the final week. Now consider who the #7&8 seeds are playing: the 11&12 seeds in week 1, then the #8/9 seeds and so on, the result being that the #6 seed is VERY likely to finish the season with a lower overall winning %% than the #7 or 8 seed simply b/c they are forced to play in the upper playoff bracket by reason of finishing #6 instead of #7 or 8. Another overly complex explanation but hopefully the basic idea gets across, lol.

Feel free to AIM me or anyone else on the Exec Committee with a question, but these public expanations of the rules serve a nice purpose if anybody is out there reading!
samo
General Manager
General Manager

Postby muquas » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:01 pm

So you are saying whoever finishes top 6 in regular season standings is top 6 no matter what happens in the playoffs with respect to next year's formation of leagues?

None of the teams finishing 7-12 in regular season standings can become a top 6 team by a super playoff performance, correct?

If so, what value is there in combining the playoff record with the regular season record?
muquas
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby samo » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:09 pm

Not exactly muquas, if you have a minute to AIM me I'll explain it in greater detail. The Upper 6 rule only applies to the Champions League in Years 2 and beyond and really only then when they have an H2H league and decide not to use the dual H2H-Roto format. You get a sense of how tricky this was to make work, but I'm pretty convinced it will work fairly smoothly.

And yes, managers in Year 1 H2H and Year 2+ lower division H2H leagues who finish regular season ranked 7-12 have no chance to advance, just like in a standard H2H league they can't win the league b/c they're in the "lower" playoff bracket. Actually, on reflection I suppose they have a remote chance of advancing if they boost their overall win %% into upper 3 (or 4 in year 1) but the chances of that seem pretty darn remote.
samo
General Manager
General Manager

Postby pugsly8422 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:15 pm

muquas wrote:So you are saying whoever finishes top 6 in regular season standings is top 6 no matter what happens in the playoffs with respect to next year's formation of leagues?

None of the teams finishing 7-12 in regular season standings can become a top 6 team by a super playoff performance, correct?

If so, what value is there in combining the playoff record with the regular season record?

The value is that within your group (either the top or bottom 6) you can move up and down, but not out of your group. You could go from 2nd to 1st in the playoffs, but not 6th to 8th.
2008-2009 Rockets.....we'll see you in the finals!!! If we can stay healthy....

sig by blamer
pugsly8422
College Captain
College Captain

Fantasy Expert

Postby so0perspam » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:36 pm

The wording of the rules is a little hard to understand at first glance, so I'll break it down:

Top 6 rule only applies to the Champions league, which comes into play Year 2. This rule applies only if a single H2H Champions league is intact. We have set open the option for the Champions league to be one H2H league, one roto league, or a dual H2H and roto league. Furthermore, this rule states that the top 6 of the Champions League in the regular season retain their spot in the Champions league the following year. The bottom 6 regular season finishers are divided amongst the 6 open slots in the First Division league.

For single roto Champions leagues, standings are the standard Yahoo format.

For dual roto Champions leagues, refer to rule 3.2.

For year 1 leagues, refer to rule 3.1.

For First Division leagues, refer to rule 3.1 (B).

;-D

Proud Member and Fan #2 of the [url=http://www.fantasybasketballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9639]Brevin Knight Fan Club[/url]
so0perspam
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dynasty Deacon » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:28 pm

So is the champion's league only decided by cumulative categorical wins and losses? So if I were to end in 2nd using the combined record of regular season and playoffs, I couldn't pass the number one finisher for the title if I beat them in the playoffs and every time I played them in the regular season, and also won the playoffs? Just clarifying. ;-D
Amazing sig by blamer
Dynasty Deacon
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby so0perspam » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:01 am

Dynasty Deacon wrote:So is the champion's league only decided by cumulative categorical wins and losses? So if I were to end in 2nd using the combined record of regular season and playoffs, I couldn't pass the number one finisher for the title if I beat them in the playoffs and every time I played them in the regular season, and also won the playoffs? Just clarifying. ;-D

Well the Champions league format you are referring to is one of three formats (single H2H, single roto, dual H2H/roto). But to answer your question, it'll work like this. The top 6 regular season Champions league finishers will remain in the Champions league the following season. Champions league standings for the top 6 will be determined by cumulative winning percentage (by categories not weeks) for the entire NBA season, i.e., the regular season and fantasy playoffs combined as stated in rule 3.1. Rules 3.1B only applies to First Division H2H leagues.

Proud Member and Fan #2 of the [url=http://www.fantasybasketballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9639]Brevin Knight Fan Club[/url]
so0perspam
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dynasty Deacon » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:07 am

so0perspam wrote:
Dynasty Deacon wrote:So is the champion's league only decided by cumulative categorical wins and losses? So if I were to end in 2nd using the combined record of regular season and playoffs, I couldn't pass the number one finisher for the title if I beat them in the playoffs and every time I played them in the regular season, and also won the playoffs? Just clarifying. ;-D

Well the Champions league format you are referring to is one of three formats (single H2H, single roto, dual H2H/roto). But to answer your question, it'll work like this. The top 6 regular season Champions league finishers will remain in the Champions league the following season. Champions league standings for the top 6 will be determined by cumulative winning percentage (by categories not weeks) for the entire NBA season, i.e., the regular season and fantasy playoffs combined as stated in rule 3.1. Rules 3.1B only applies to First Division H2H leagues.

That is what I thought, I was just double checking because we had talked so much about everything except determining the overall champion. :-b
Amazing sig by blamer
Dynasty Deacon
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Octagon