FBC Octagon Rules - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Octagon

FBC Octagon Rules

Moderators: jphanned, samo

Postby muquas » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:00 pm

Don't some teams end up playing more weeks in the playoffs and therefore have an edge when determining the total number of categorical wins?
muquas
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AmAr3 i$ dA fU7Ur3 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:06 pm

muquas wrote:Don't some teams end up playing more weeks in the playoffs and therefore have an edge when determining the total number of categorical wins?

Uhhh....isn't that the point???
[url=http://fantasybasketballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19211/]My Sigs[/url]
AmAr3 i$ dA fU7Ur3
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby samo » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:11 pm

muquas wrote:Don't some teams end up playing more weeks in the playoffs and therefore have an edge when determining the total number of categorical wins?

This is a very good point if true but if I recall correctly, I believe all the teams in a league 1-12 end up playing all the playoff weeks with the exception of the Top 2 teams that get a bye in playoff Week 1. That's just a quirk of H2H and I don't see any particular advantage or disadvantage to it in terms of affecting our ultimate results. If I'm missing something, we need to know so we can adjust anything that needs adjusting.

Also, I believe we're not basing final standings on total number of categorical wins but rather on overall winning percentage so the bye-week shouldn't have much effect. Again, if I'm missing something please point it out.
samo
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby muquas » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:38 pm

Ok, just as long as the top 2 teams are not hurt by missing the first week. Let's make sure people are on the same wavelength.

Amare, sometimes there is more to a question than meets the eye initially.
muquas
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby AmAr3 i$ dA fU7Ur3 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:58 pm

muquas wrote:Ok, just as long as the top 2 teams are not hurt by missing the first week. Let's make sure people are on the same wavelength.

Amare, sometimes there is more to a question than meets the eye initially.

touche
[url=http://fantasybasketballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19211/]My Sigs[/url]
AmAr3 i$ dA fU7Ur3
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jphanned » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:13 pm

samo has covered it. I could see how this could be an issue if we were going by total wins or something like that, but a ranking system based upon cumulative winning % eliminates the edge or disadvantage of playing more/less weeks. You could say that it's an edge because they simply don't have to play so they keep their winning % intact, but could also argue how it's a disadvantage because they cannot improve their win % while other teams below them in the standings are. There are 2 sides of the coin. ;-D
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 371)

Postby jphanned » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:01 am

Just so you guys know, the EC has decided unanimously to disallow the trading of draft picks in both live and messageboard drafts.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ultramagnetic » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:10 am

Rounders Block wrote:Just so you guys know, the EC has decided unanimously to disallow the trading of draft picks in both live and messageboard drafts.

;-D
ultramagnetic
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby AmAr3 i$ dA fU7Ur3 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:07 am

sounds good to me. ;-D
AmAr3 i$ dA fU7Ur3
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jphanned » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:34 am

At this point where the league rules have been finalized, they are indeed what they sound like, final. I cannot emphasize this enough that buser, samo, and myself have spent many hours going through the league rules making tweaks and changes here and there to ensure this league will be the best it could be now and in the future for all of you. We feel we have addressed any future problems that may arise and that our system is a system of compromise and one that will work.

Our inclination now is to amend the rules only to fix something that doesn't work or will cause a problem down the road. If you have a small problem with the rules, such as the waiver wire period, the stat categories, roster size, or even league name, we simply can not address it because it will probably turn into a long, tiresome debate which in the end will not spell a significant change that makes the league better. It will end up being counterproductive and we'll end up with a handful of upset members who did not get their way.

The Executive Committee is always working for the league's best interest, which is in turn, representative of all its members. We are not doing this because of some drive to be in charge or in power, or for selfish reasons, I can ensure you that. Good luck to all managers, I look forward to competiting with you all and will hopefully see you at the top!

If you have any comments, questions, or suggestions, please do not start a new thread. You may send a PM, e-mail, or catch us on AIM to contact us. We want to keep this forum as clutter-free as possible. Thanks.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Octagon