Discussion - Rules & Settings - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Octagon

Discussion - Rules & Settings

Moderators: jphanned, samo

Postby samo » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:23 pm

I'm not trying to kiss up to a Mod here but I think The Thrill's suggestion is utterly brilliant for handling the Champions League. Would still only require 1 draft (complex enough that a Forum draft would make much more sense than live) and would severely test the overall skill of the competitors.

There would be a fair amount of Cred for winning either the Roto or the H2H leg but the maddest of mad props would be reserved for each year's overall champ. Genius. Let's see if others think it'd be too much effort or if people like the idea.
samo
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Knicks4ever » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:37 pm

I dont really like the idea of having 1 draft for a roto and a H2H, and starting out with the same roster in both, since you would draft differently in each format since roto and H2H require your team to be different to win
Knicks4ever
College Captain
College Captain

Home Cafe: Football

Postby samo » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:46 pm

But the challenge of it and the fact that all the managers would be presented with the exact same challenge is what would make it so interesting. Perhaps it would give Turmoil too great an advantage since he cooks up mock-lineup scenarios in the offseason like a mad scientist.

I echo much of what bokzg said in his above posts and would only add that in addition to looking for more cred from our fellow Cafe members, even more importantly what guys like us are looking for is a chance to do what we do against the best competition we can find. The bigger the challenge, the more fun it is. For me at least, and I suspect most of us.
samo
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Crimedogg32 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:50 pm

I really like the idea. You could even have 2 drafts and say like inverse order of the other league to even it up
FBC Octagon Champion - 2010-2011
Crimedogg32
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

two for the price of one

Postby ultramagnetic » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:11 pm

Dogg, are you suggesting that each of the three groups plays one Roto team and one H2H sub-league, with different lineups? I think that's a very good idea.

;-D

Crimedogg32 wrote:I really like the idea. You could even have 2 drafts and say like inverse order of the other league to even it up
ultramagnetic
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Thrill » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:31 pm

To keep this somewhat realistic, I'm only suggesting that the one major league (that determines the UC) have a two league format. The minor leagues can specialize in whatever league is voted on by each respective minor league.

I think it's a bit unrealistic to expect 36 participants to all be willing to take on two additional leagues in addition to their existing commitments. However, once we start getting into the top tier (the major league), I think there's more incentive (and likely thus more willingness) to participate in two leagues in order to determine a UC.

While I acknowledge that each style (H2H and Roto) requires different drafting styles, I'm really in favor of selecting one initial team merely from the perspective that the UC (Ultimate Champ) will likely come from an initial lineup that requires quite a bit of skill and planning. Afterall, all managers at that level would face the same challenge and thus be on the same playing field in determing a strategy that would bring them the UC title.
The Thrill
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)

Postby ultramagnetic » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:02 pm

The Thrill wrote:To keep this somewhat realistic, I'm only suggesting that the one major league (that determines the UC) have a two league format. The minor leagues can specialize in whatever league is voted on by each respective minor league.

So...how about:
Championship League: Each manager drafts one Roto team and one H2H team.
Roto League: Each manager drafts one Roto team.
H2H League: Each manager drafts one H2H team.

Looks good to me...
;-D
ultramagnetic
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby statsman88 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:17 pm

ok, looks great guys, I can't believe everyone has this thing fairly organized in less than a week!

ok, so the championship league, i think the winner of the h2h and the winner of the roto should automatically stay, then take the teams with the best averages of the two leagues until you have 6 teams that are staying in.
statsman88
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Writer
Location: Counting down the days till Barkely gets fired via Imus

Postby so0perspam » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:23 pm

Alright I'll chime in. I'll echo Thrill's idea here, I like it a lot and think it's the way we should go. But I don't like the idea of drafting one team for both leagues, because there really is no middle ground strategy that accomodates both H2H and roto. It'll end up being top 3 in one league and at the bottom in another, or if you try being competitive in both, probably ending up in the middle of the pack in both.

Proud Member and Fan #2 of the [url=http://www.fantasybasketballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9639]Brevin Knight Fan Club[/url]
so0perspam
General Manager
General Manager

Postby statsman88 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:31 pm

so0perspam wrote:Alright I'll chime in. I'll echo Thrill's idea here, I like it a lot and think it's the way we should go. But I don't like the idea of drafting one team for both leagues, because there really is no middle ground strategy that accomodates both H2H and roto. It'll end up being top 3 in one league and at the bottom in another, or if you try being competitive in both, probably ending up in the middle of the pack in both.

I agree, the major league teams should draft two teams.
statsman88
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Writer
Location: Counting down the days till Barkely gets fired via Imus

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Octagon