Discussion - Rules & Settings - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe


Return to FBC Octagon

Discussion - Rules & Settings

Moderators: jphanned, samo

Postby samo » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:26 pm

limey, that would be true but only for Year 1, in Year 2 and beyond where only the Top 3 of lower leagues move up, the playoffs would be a battle all the way to the end, at least to determine who gets the #3 and last spot in the upper league. As you can see from soop's post above, we're still deciding what to do with the playoffs.
samo
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Posts: 2476
Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby dcskater619 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:28 pm

Yeah we should stick with daily no matter what.. or else depth makes no difference
Image
CKKL Keepers: D. Wade, A. Stoudemire, L. Odom, D. Howard, B. Wallace, J. Smith
dcskater619
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Posts: 1170
Joined: 9 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Dynasty Deacon » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:16 am

so0perspam wrote:
samo wrote:My understanding (though not explicitly stated in rules) is H2H will be daily line-ups.

thelimey's suggestion that the Top 2 pre-playoffs in H2H be guaranteed a spot in upper league is a good one and I think is already built into things b/c they should get a 1st Round playoff bye-week which means they're automatic Top 4, unless I'm reading it wrong. The MOST interesting H2H playoff I see happening is in Year 2 and beyond, the final week battle for 3rd place and a spot in the upper league should be a bloodbath.


We still need to discuss this idea further samo. I thought we agreed on the fact that for our H2H league playoffs would be more of an exhibition and that we'd take the straight results from regular season play. And both leagues formats should be using daily lineups, in order to compensate for depth like bokzg said.


That is stupid. Why take away the playoffs. Every team plays the regular season so they have a good seeding in the playoffs. Think of if the NBA did this. We use the playoffs to determine who the best teams are in the NBA, so we should do that here also. Who cares what your team does in the regular season as long as you make it to the playoffs because there every team is reborn and starts on a level playing field. The regular season doesn't decide the champ in the NBA and it shouldn't in fantasy either.
Image
Amazing sig by blamer
Dynasty Deacon
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 3033
(Past Year: 5)
Joined: 22 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: Wherever I happened to wander off to.

Postby so0perspam » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:32 am

Dynasty Deacon wrote:That is stupid. Why take away the playoffs. Every team plays the regular season so they have a good seeding in the playoffs. Think of if the NBA did this. We use the playoffs to determine who the best teams are in the NBA, so we should do that here also. Who cares what your team does in the regular season as long as you make it to the playoffs because there every team is reborn and starts on a level playing field. The regular season doesn't decide the champ in the NBA and it shouldn't in fantasy either.


DD, first of all we had an open discussion about this and several other members requested that the H2H playoffs be done away with. Samo and myself did not discuss this issue at all prior to my post, so that was the temporary solution to the issue I understood at the time. In no way in my post did I deem it to be final. Secondly, if you want to present an idea to the league in a civilized manner, you will, under no circumstance do so by putting down an idea by calling it stupid. Arrogance will just not be accepted here, because it just ends up being counterproductive. You do not know how many hours the executive committee has spent so far discussing all facets of the issues, and how much work we put into it. A big part of this league's rules will have to be done through compromise if it's all going to work, and you better believe it, it's going to work.

Samo and myself have already discussed the issue of H2H standings scoring earlier today. You may refer to Rules #3.1 on the matter. That is where we are on the issue right now. Again, we welcome any input on any matter, but we ask that you all do so in a constructive manner. Thanks.
Image

Proud Member and Fan #2 of the [url=http://www.fantasybasketballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9639]Brevin Knight Fan Club[/url]
so0perspam
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2247
Joined: 18 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Bay Area

Postby Rodigee » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:06 am

I disagree with the idea to mitigate the h2h playoffs. Anyone who is serious about h2h knows that the playoffs are the only thing that matters, and will build thier team accoringly.

The best h2h teams may be the guys who draft with the playoff schedule in mind and build thier team so that they consistently win 6-3/5-4. Never blowing anyone away these guy's regular season record will not accuratly reflect how freaking awsome at h2h. Instead thier complete dismantling of the playoffs will.

Moral of the story: Like it or not the playoffs are what make H2H what it is. Don't diminish their importance.
Rodigee
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 1180
Joined: 10 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: San Diego

Postby so0perspam » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:15 am

Rodigee wrote:I disagree with the idea to mitigate the h2h playoffs. Anyone who is serious about h2h knows that the playoffs are the only thing that matters, and will build thier team accoringly.

The best h2h teams may be the guys who draft with the playoff schedule in mind and build thier team so that they consistently win 6-3/5-4. Never blowing anyone away these guy's regular season record will not accuratly reflect how freaking awsome at h2h. Instead thier complete dismantling of the playoffs will.

Moral of the story: Like it or not the playoffs are what make H2H what it is. Don't diminish their importance.


I am serious about H2H, and I know I just don't structure my whole strategy towards the last couple weeks of the season. I play to win the regular season, and by doing so, I get a bye the first round, and I get to play the weakest possible seed in the next round and so on. Building for the playoffs is really only a small strategy of H2H. You need to make the playoffs first. We are in no way "completely dismantling" the playoffs. We just believe that the first 21 weeks should be more weighted than the last 3 weeks. I don't see any flaw in that logic at all.
Image

Proud Member and Fan #2 of the [url=http://www.fantasybasketballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9639]Brevin Knight Fan Club[/url]
so0perspam
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2247
Joined: 18 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Bay Area

Postby samo » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:25 am

I should stay out of this discussion and let the H2H guys hash it out but I disagree with Rodigee on a couple levels. I spent big effort last season (my first playing H2H) making crafty trades based on fantasy playoff scheduling to position my teams for victory and it all blew up in my face anyway when 80% of the quality NBA players got rested by their teams the last week and a half anyway. It was a total freakshow. Scrubs you've never heard of suddenly more valuable than can't-cut list superstars. KG is suddenly the worst player in the NBA to own b/c you can't cut the freakin guy so he's dead weight to a team. This is how we're going to determine the best-of-the-best fantasy managers?

Perhaps I, and quite a few others, don't sufficiently appreciate the fine art of H2H playoff strategy. Believe it or not, I actually had to persuade others to keep H2H playoffs in the equation (see Rule 3.1) instead of just scrapping them entirely.

This discussion is not closed but the Exec Committee will ultimately do what we feel is best for the league. We are open to constructive suggestions and will take all factors into consideration. As you can perhaps see from the rules, this is not an easy league to construct, but it will be fun and fair when its all said and done.
samo
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Posts: 2476
Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Sports4lyf » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:34 am

samo wrote:I should stay out of this discussion and let the H2H guys hash it out but I disagree with Rodigee on a couple levels. I spent big effort last season (my first playing H2H) making crafty trades based on fantasy playoff scheduling to position my teams for victory and it all blew up in my face anyway when 80% of the quality NBA players got rested by their teams the last week and a half anyway. It was a total freakshow. Scrubs you've never heard of suddenly more valuable than can't-cut list superstars. KG is suddenly the worst player in the NBA to own b/c you can't cut the freakin guy so he's dead weight to a team. This is how we're going to determine the best-of-the-best fantasy managers?

Perhaps I, and quite a few others, don't sufficiently appreciate the fine art of H2H playoff strategy. Believe it or not, I actually had to persuade others to keep H2H playoffs in the equation (see Rule 3.1) instead of just scrapping them entirely.



I definitely agree here. Unfortunately, teams that have great regular season records and a top seed all wrapped up will sit their star players. It happens every year, and every year fantasy owners complain because of it. It's not fair for players like Duncan/ Dirk/etc to be on the sidelines while Rasho and Keith Van Horn suddenly become solid players.
I like the combined reg season / playoff idea here. It still keeps the playoffs in, but doesn't determine a champion based on who has the better scrubs.
Image
Thanks to leal72 for the sig!
Sports4lyf
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

User avatar

Posts: 753
Joined: 20 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: Virginia

Postby Dynasty Deacon » Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:47 pm

so0perspam wrote:
Dynasty Deacon wrote:That is stupid. Why take away the playoffs. Every team plays the regular season so they have a good seeding in the playoffs. Think of if the NBA did this. We use the playoffs to determine who the best teams are in the NBA, so we should do that here also. Who cares what your team does in the regular season as long as you make it to the playoffs because there every team is reborn and starts on a level playing field. The regular season doesn't decide the champ in the NBA and it shouldn't in fantasy either.


DD, first of all we had an open discussion about this and several other members requested that the H2H playoffs be done away with. Samo and myself did not discuss this issue at all prior to my post, so that was the temporary solution to the issue I understood at the time. In no way in my post did I deem it to be final. Secondly, if you want to present an idea to the league in a civilized manner, you will, under no circumstance do so by putting down an idea by calling it stupid. Arrogance will just not be accepted here, because it just ends up being counterproductive. You do not know how many hours the executive committee has spent so far discussing all facets of the issues, and how much work we put into it. A big part of this league's rules will have to be done through compromise if it's all going to work, and you better believe it, it's going to work.

Samo and myself have already discussed the issue of H2H standings scoring earlier today. You may refer to Rules #3.1 on the matter. That is where we are on the issue right now. Again, we welcome any input on any matter, but we ask that you all do so in a constructive manner. Thanks.


By several, you mean about 10% of the total number of managers. I think this should be voted upon by each H2H league, not decided by an executive commitee. I have also used the method that Rodigee has used numerous times and it works. Taking away the playoffs would completely change the game. It is a huge part of H2H and is the most important part. In my opinion, the idea is stupid to get rid of the H2H playoffs. It is what makes H2H what it is. Many people stash injured players away and trade for them so their team is better come playoff time. Sorry if you were burned by the playoffs in the past, most guys who play H2H have and they still enjoy the playoffs. I was in a league 2 years ago where I came in first in the regular season and lost in the semifinals because 5 of my top 7 guys were injured. I had only lost one week in the regular season and it was 6-7. Did it stink, yes. But I got over it and moved on because the playoffs is what H2H is all about. You get a trophy for winning the playoffs, not for the regular season.
Last edited by Dynasty Deacon on Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Amazing sig by blamer
Dynasty Deacon
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 3033
(Past Year: 5)
Joined: 22 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: Wherever I happened to wander off to.

Postby Netsfan5 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:49 pm

I say we weight it 50% season, 50% playoffs.

Everyone happy?

Good. ;-)
Image
By Netsforce at realgm
Netsfan5
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3998
Joined: 12 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Basketball

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Octagon

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues




  • Fantasy Basketball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact