2013-2014 Wait-List Information - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Octagon

2013-2014 Wait-List Information

Moderators: jphanned, samo

Postby samo » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:30 pm

nebgib5 wrote:if i get on this waiting list am i committed to participating next season, or can i make a decision if/when my name comes up?

Sure thats no problem. Ideally, everyone in all 3 leagues would be as active at the Cafe as you, so you'd be a great addition, but time limits are valid, so when the commissioners of the H2H and Roto leagues get around to filling their open spots, we'll look you up and try to talk you into a league. Competing to get into the upper league for the following season is pretty intense, which seems to give the leagues an urgency one may not experience in other leagues, at least that was how it was for me.
samo
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby nebgib5 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:37 pm

samo wrote:
nebgib5 wrote:if i get on this waiting list am i committed to participating next season, or can i make a decision if/when my name comes up?

Sure thats no problem. Ideally, everyone in all 3 leagues would be as active at the Cafe as you, so you'd be a great addition, but time limits are valid, so when the commissioners of the H2H and Roto leagues get around to filling their open spots, we'll look you up and try to talk you into a league. Competing to get into the upper league for the following season is pretty intense, which seems to give the leagues an urgency one may not experience in other leagues, at least that was how it was for me.

sounds good. ;-D among the 3 leagues (3, right?), what is the split on roto/h2h and messageboard/live draft, or is it too early to tell?
nebgib5
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby samo » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:29 pm

nebgib5 wrote:sounds good. ;-D among the 3 leagues (3, right?), what is the split on roto/h2h and messageboard/live draft, or is it too early to tell?

Well, next season will be Season 2, so there will be a single "upper" league (will be either roto or H2H, or both) consisting of the Top 4 finishers from each of this seasons three leagues (2 of which were H2H, 1 of which was roto). There will be two "lower" leagues next season (1 roto; 1 H2H) consisting of (i) those managers who finished in the lower 8 of the three leagues who stayed sufficiently active and (ii) as many new managers as necessary to replace those who abandoned their teams along the way.

After Season 2, the Top 3 from each lower league will move up the following year for a crack at the overall title in the "upper" league, and the Lower 6 from the upper league will move down and have to earn their way back up.

Messageboard/live draft will be up to each league to decide, probably by majority vote. As you can see, we want the best and most active managers in all three leagues.
samo
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RobitusinZ » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:55 am

I'd like to put my name on the waiting list for either league, though I prefer H2H.

Thanks!
RobitusinZ
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bokzg » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:30 am

samo wrote:consisting of (i) those managers who finished in the lower 8 of the three leagues who stayed sufficiently active

Thank the lord. At the risk of sounding bitter, because of all of the insane injuries, this was NOT a good season in which to determine the best fantasy bball managers :)
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 114)

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:00 am

bokzg wrote:
samo wrote:consisting of (i) those managers who finished in the lower 8 of the three leagues who stayed sufficiently active

Thank the lord. At the risk of sounding bitter, because of all of the insane injuries, this was NOT a good season in which to determine the best fantasy bball managers :)

good call. this season even got off to a bad start. let's demand a recount. :-b
Chrisy Moltisanti
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby samo » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:40 am

bokzg wrote:At the risk of sounding bitter, because of all of the insane injuries, this was NOT a good season in which to determine the best fantasy bball managers :)

If we get the right new additions to the leagues (guys like nebgib, etc.) to replace the inactive teams, it could be argued that each of the two lower leagues will have as much or more managerial talent as the upper league next season, which bodes well for future years.

Lets all keep an eye out for "talent" and encourage those guys to get on the wait-list ASAP so we can fill out the leagues for next season with quality, active managers. ;-D
samo
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dutch » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:06 am

Any chance the octagon will be expanded in the future?
Third place Octagon 07-08
Third place Battle of the Sports Forums 07-08
Winner of the Battle of the Sports Forums 06-07
Runner up Fantasykings vs Rotokingdom 06-07
Runner up of Battle of the Sports Forums 05-06
Dutch
College Captain
College Captain

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby samo » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:14 pm

Dutch wrote:Any chance the octagon will be expanded in the future?

No idea. Its a pyramidal structure so in theory you could create Tier 3 leagues, Tier 4 leagues, etc. It would just be a question of holding it all together. At this point, I'm not sensing some great demand of new guys clamoring to get in, but maybe at some point in the future we'll have built up a level of outside awareness that would allow for expansion. This could especially be true if we made the upper league one of those "publicly viewable" leagues.

We'll have a public Rules discussion after the season ends at some point to see if we need to tweak or improve any of the existing Rules. Chrisy has had some suggestions regarding move-limits in H2H, and his ideas about including NBA playoff stats are innovative, if potentially difficult to implement. We want to innovate in these leagues, but all change takes discussion, which can get tiring.

Anyway, we're gonna have 6-10 openings in the lower leagues next season due to abandonment of teams (which really does have an impact on the final standings of leagues and is therefore messed up), so I'd appreciate if existing members encourage guys who they know are good to get involved.
samo
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bokzg » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:12 am

When it comes to selecting managers, I'm tempted to say that it's almost more important to find managers who are dedicated and will play their seasons out to the end than ones who appear to have a lot of FBB knowledge. I just can't stand people who just go inactive, I'd rather have less knowledgeable guys who will put forth their best efforts throughout an entire season.
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 114)

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Octagon