2013-2014 Wait-List Information - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Octagon

2013-2014 Wait-List Information

Moderators: jphanned, samo

Re: 2010-2011 Wait-List Information

Postby jphanned » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:26 am

RedHopeful wrote:Wow Samo, don't know whether to be saddened or not by this news. :-S

For what it's worth, I've heard that once Favre retires, he was planning on taking his game to fantasy. O:-)

I hereby announce the start of "samo watch". Every offseason we'll send Ed Werder out to samo's house as he contemplates his Octagon retirement. He will then submit his list of demands to the EC and we will eventually cave in. This year it was allowing his friend into the league with him. Next year we'll allow him to skip our version of training camp (early-to-mid-August check-ins). Who knows where it will end. All I know is that it will be worth it. :-D
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 403)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby So-Tex » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:51 am

Hey guys - just wanted to come in and say thanks for the invite/honor of competing with you all in the Octagon. I'm one of those coming off the 2010-11 wait list - and even though it's still fresh, and I'm not sure which of the two First-Division leagues I'll be in just yet, I'm looking forward to the challenge! ;-D

@ samo: Sorry to hear this may be your last season here. Judging from the comments, not only are you well respected, but you'll definitely be missed. Good luck to you this year - I'm looking forward to seeing it all unfold, regardless of which league I end up in. :-)

*EDIT: Just going back through all the threads and noticed that I've been placed in First Division H2H. Thanks again - looking forward to it!
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 215)

Postby FOS » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:44 am

Rounders Block wrote:This year it was allowing his friend into the league with him.

Hi, I'm the Samo friend. Thanks for letting me join this league. I played last year and had a great time. Having grown up with Samo, make no mistake, he may be (somewhat) skilled at selecting players, but he really can't play himself. Even though he's 6 10.
FOS
Driveway Dunker
Driveway Dunker

Postby samo » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:18 am

FOS wrote:he really can't play himself.

Apparently, FOS suffers lingering after-effects of one-armed sky-hooks raining in from the deep right-corner, still convinced his team should have beat the kid with the broken arm. Also, perhaps a bit jittery and hesitant on the release with flashbacks from so many of these (along with the frustration of having no idea how to post a rebuttal picture):

But not to worry fellas, dude is relentless, far better with numbers than samo, and freakishly obsessed with the NBA, not that any of that'll necessarily help him in the Octagon...
samo
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby plonden » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:21 am

Welcome to the Cafe/Octagon, FOS. ;-D

samo wrote:But not to worry fellas, dude is relentless, far better with numbers than samo, and freakishly obsessed with the NBA, not that any of that'll necessarily help him in the Octagon...

This is frightening.
plonden
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 77)

Postby DVauthrin » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:48 am

samo wrote:Thanks guys. :-)

If any of the OG guys want a blast of big-time nostalgia or if the "newer" managers want a flavor of what we went through to get this league going, go check out the "Discussion - Rules & Settings" thread in this forum. It was EPIC and the league has lived up to its billing, attracting most of the top Cafe talent over the years. I'll admit to a bit of fantasy hoops Octagon snobbery ... whenever some new blogger (Buser excepted) or "pay me for my voluminous fantasy hoops insight" type comes along posting at the Cafe my first (and generally last) thought is pretty much: "Let's see if you can even get out of the Octagon First Division before we go annointing you all that girlfriend!" In fact, that should pretty much be the stock reply to these poseurs who think they can edumacate the Cafe!

I don't know you as well as the others that have posted recently, but I'll miss your presence regardless. I really enjoyed competing against you in the mock draft last year. The Camby/Anthony Randolph discussion was a lot of fun, even though you got the better player out of the two.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 163)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DVauthrin » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:50 am

plonden wrote:Welcome to the Cafe/Octagon, FOS. ;-D

samo wrote:But not to worry fellas, dude is relentless, far better with numbers than samo, and freakishly obsessed with the NBA, not that any of that'll necessarily help him in the Octagon...

This is frightening.

Agreed. Sounds like Samo has genetically engineered an equal or better version of himself.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 163)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thelimey » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:08 pm

Sorry to hear you're bowing out Samo; we've been in the same Octagon leagues from day 1, it'll be strange not going up against you this year. Best of luck with the Roto league!
thelimey
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 48)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby samo » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:52 am

DVauthrin wrote:Sounds like Samo has genetically engineered an equal or better version of himself.

Well, actually, yes, sort of. This happens to be that one slightly frustrating friend most of us have who's a great guy but is willing to work just a little harder than you in school, sports, etc. and the long term results show. Even his house is slightly more upscale and better decorated than mine, I've got the city/mountain view but natch he's got the ocean view, I've got two awesome kids, he's got three, I went to fairly elite university, he went to ever-so slightly eliter university, I've lived in various cool US cities, he's lived in various cooler European cities ... it gets a touch maddening at times but samo be used to it by now so no worries.

I suspect however what plonden found frightening was not the prospect of a smarter/stronger samo, but the implication that brains and NBA-smarts are not enough to handle business in the Octagon (imho creativity, deviation, and luck are the actual keys).

@ thelimey, yeah no doubt its been a good run. I' am however sufficiently intrigued by the RB declaration of an annual "samo watch" involving outrageous diva-like demands, interviews while idling my beater pick-up, and major cable sports networks filling their slow-season airtime with slightly irritated Favre-like conjecture that if I somehow manage to run the gauntlet of this ridiculously stacked First Division Roto and finish Top 3 ... well ... let's just say I'm keeping a close eye on Bret and taking notes oh yeah.
samo
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby jphanned » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:07 am

Am I the only one whose mind is blown by the fact that samo is 6'10? I envisioned you to look more like this.....

than this....

Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 403)

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Octagon