Could Matt Barnes be this years WW gem? - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leftovers

Could Matt Barnes be this years WW gem?

Moderator: Basketball Moderators

Could Matt Barnes be this years WW gem?

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:26 pm

I balked at picking up Barnes due to history and variability of his Coaches rotations, but I cannot ignore what this player has done over the last month. 45/81/2.4/13/5.9/3.1/1.1/1.1/1.6 is a beautiful thing, good for 29th by average over the last month. Since he started getting play on Nov. 24, he's posted the 20th best overall numbers, including a 0.49 FG%. Add in his show capability of posting 30 and 25 pt nights and I see a high ceiling. If Nellie were a fantasy manager Barnes would be getting 40 minutes a night and we might be looking at second round numbers or better, but irl what are the possibilities of even what we've seen so far continuing?
Chrisy Moltisanti
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby The Thrill » Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:33 pm

I've reserved judgement on his consistency until I see him on the court with a healthy Warriors team (including, but not limited to J-Rich, Davis, Pietrus, Ellis, Murphy and Diogu). Oh wait, but that'll never happen! Yeah, he could be this year's WW gem... :-?
The Thrill
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 264)

Postby MissingOakley » Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:36 pm

I passed because when he started busting out his PT seemed entirely dependent on the unavailability of Murphy and Pietrus. Oh well.

I'd say he's one of a handful of excellent WW pickups so far, along with some others like Head and Jefferson.
MissingOakley
College Captain
College Captain

Postby Yilun » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:01 pm

The Thrill wrote:I've reserved judgement on his consistency until I see him on the court with a healthy Warriors team (including, but not limited to J-Rich, Davis, Pietrus, Ellis, Murphy and Diogu). Oh wait, but that'll never happen! Yeah, he could be this year's WW gem... :-?

That is a good point. It's really hard to tell because the Warriors are apparently in a perpetual state of injury. As long as one or two players are out, Barnes will consistently see minutes and should continue producing decent numbers.

However, in the case that Troy and Ellis comes back and the warriors lineup are in full swing, I see Barnes producing much more sporadic numbers and definitely won't be as consistent as he is playing now.

If you have someone good to drop for him, then I think its worth a shot, but don't hold your breath for too long.
*rocking the new blamer sig*
Yilun
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 7)
Location: The confines of reality are too grand for my imaginative capacity

Postby Irish » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:49 pm

I plugged him in for this week, but I don't have high hopes for down the line. Murphy/Ellis/J-Rich will eventually be good to go for solid minutes and Barnes will have the occasional solid game when they are in foul trouble or out with an injury. In a roto league I think he's someone you should have for the time being, but in my h2h I have no trouble dropping him for someone with more potential down the road. My eye is on the playoffs, and I can't see Barnes having solid consistent value by the time we get there.
H2H Main League
PG: Nash, Mo Williams, Alston
SG: R. Brewer, Raja Bell, R. Davis
SF: Gay, C. Brewer, C. Butler
PF: Nocioni, Maxiell,
C: Camby, B. Miller, Chandler
Irish
College Captain
College Captain

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mbuser » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:51 pm

i think it all comes down to troy murphy, as barnes has been playing SF and PF for the most part. i just mentioned him in the most recent skinny -- his combination of stats is very unique
mbuser
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:33 am

yeah i dont think so. i think hes just benefiting from an unhealthy team right now. nellie's rotations are so odd at times, that you never know who's starting, and who's getting what minutes.
Snakes Gould
College Captain
College Captain

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ed » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:53 pm

barnes is ok - I think pietrus has been a better pickup. On my good teams, I don't have anyone I would drop for barnes.
ed
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:04 pm

ed wrote:barnes is ok - I think pietrus has been a better pickup. On my good teams, I don't have anyone I would drop for barnes.

Impossible. :-D So far there is no doubt barnes has been the better play in stnd leagues. (come on, play w/ the devils advocate)
Last edited by Chrisy Moltisanti on Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chrisy Moltisanti
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby silentjim » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:04 pm

David Lee is hands down the best waiver wire pickup in my opinion. He's consistent, has excellent FG%, decent FT%, is averaging a double double, and gets a good amount of steal and blocks all while maintaining moderately low TO numbers.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 633)

Next

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leftovers