Starting up a Keeper League with Yahoo - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Starting up a Keeper League with Yahoo

Moderator: Basketball Moderators

Starting up a Keeper League with Yahoo

Postby ggs » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:04 am

Starting up a fantasy bball keeper league this year, using yahoo only cuz most managers are comfortable with it. any suggestions on how to run it? considerations in terms of:
1. auction, salary cap, etc - all within the context of yahoo
2. number of keepers
3. restrictions/rules in terms of how many years you can keep a player

etc, etc - basically tell me how your leagues are run so i can copy em! thanks in advance boys.
ggs
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 146)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Starting up a Keeper League with Yahoo

Postby The Thrill » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:21 pm

Assuming standard league size of 12, my recomendation is that you choose a lower number of keepers (3 to 4) to make sure the talent pool is fresh each season. Anything above that makes it all that more difficult for the lower rankings teams (who had bad initial drafts) to improve season after season. I wouldn't recommend a standard league setup with a high number of keepers. For example, the Hilarious Keeper League is a roster of 15 with 9 keepers. Those lower level teams are getting to a point where they can't improve their teams much, or if they can, it'll take at least two to three years for the rookies they draft to become fantasy worth. If you don't like the 3 to 4 keeper idea, I'd instead recommend a dynasty setup with larger rosters and teams have the ability to store/hold rookies and it becomes a revolving process year over year that hopefully doesn't stagnate some teams.
The Thrill
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)

Postby ggs » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:38 pm

The Thrill wrote:Assuming standard league size of 12, my recomendation is that you choose a lower number of keepers (3 to 4) to make sure the talent pool is fresh each season. Anything above that makes it all that more difficult for the lower rankings teams (who had bad initial drafts) to improve season after season. I wouldn't recommend a standard league setup with a high number of keepers. For example, the Hilarious Keeper League is a roster of 15 with 9 keepers. Those lower level teams are getting to a point where they can't improve their teams much, or if they can, it'll take at least two to three years for the rookies they draft to become fantasy worth. If you don't like the 3 to 4 keeper idea, I'd instead recommend a dynasty setup with larger rosters and teams have the ability to store/hold rookies and it becomes a revolving process year over year that hopefully doesn't stagnate some teams.

thanks thrill, appreciate the input. definitely agree that a lower number of keepers makes it easier for the newer (or poorer-performing) teams to make up ground year after year, will keep that in mind. I've done leagues before where the number of keepers rises every year, which isnt a bad way to do it once you have a solid core of guys. Eventually becomes very 'dynasty-like' in that you may have to spend a year or two simply on rebuilding.
ggs
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 146)

Postby silentjim » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:49 pm

Completely agree with Thrill. I'd keep the numbers of keepers low and make the league as simple as possible to start. Standard ROTO ususally makes the most sense. I'd also recommend not putting restriction on the number of years managers can keep players. Rules like that and salary leagues etc tend to be more problems than they're worth.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 727)

Return to Commissioner's Corner