The Rules *Please Read* - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe


Return to FBC Reshuffle

The Rules *Please Read*

Moderators: silentjim, RedHopeful, mbuser, jphanned

The Rules *Please Read*

Postby nebgib5 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:29 pm

Welcome to the Fantasy Basketball Cafe Reshuffle. Drawing inspiration from its predecessor at the Football Cafe, the Reshuffle seeks to generate discussion about real life player value that is often conspicuously absent here at the fantasy-minded Cafe. The premise is simple: All players affiliated with an NBA team (on the roster, playing for their D-League affiliate, injured, etc.) as well as any current NBDL'ers, are thrown into a pool, and Cafe members, each representing an NBA franchise (which franchise you represent is immaterial apart from personal preferences) will hold a snake draft to redistribute their rights. Managers draft in an attempt to compile the team that would be most competitive in real life. As this is a theoretical realignment of franchises, make sure you draft not only for short term value, but to ensure long term success as well. In other words, this is similar to a "dynasty" league in fantasy basketball.

FAQ:

When does this thing start?
January 4th, Noon EST.

What is the time limit allotted for each pick?
12 hours, although all participating members should make a serious effort to pick faster than that. You don't have to check in frequently when you're not close to coming up, but when you are close, you need to either check in a couple times a day, or PM A LIST OF PICKS TO THE MODERATORS! If you have the time to make one, feel free to send me and the other mods a more comprehensive list; we promise not to steal any of your ideas. After you pick, you must send a PM to the next person in line.

What happens if I exceed my time limit?
The person drafting after you is on the clock, and you may make up your pick at any time. If you have not made it up by the end of that round, the available player with the highest current 2007-2008 PER will be selected for you. Yes, it's an inexact measure of player value, but that's all the more reason for you to pay attention and make your picks. :-)

How is draft order determined?
Fftoolbox Draft Order Generator will provide a random order for the teams to pick in for round one, probably on December 31st or January 1st. Round 2 will be the reverse of Round 1, etc. (standard snake draft).

Is trading picks allowed?
No.

Who's running this thing?
Mbuser and I are the official moderators of the forum, but we've assembled a larger team of helpers to try to ensure that we can actually finish this thing (unlike the Football Cafe). Nene, Legia13 and ggs are also part of our mod team, meaning that if you're not going to be here for a little while and your pick is coming up, you should PM all 5 of us with your selections. It's a group of 5 from diverse geographical locations, so hopefully, at least 1 of us will be on at many different times during the day.

Who's Participating?
Yilun - Warriors
Vanadis - Suns
Legia13 - Bulls
RobitusinZ - Heat
RedHopeful - Hornets
deadshot11 - Clippers
Nene - Magic
blamer - Bobcats
tianyi86 - Knicks
nebgib5 - Celtics
silentjim - Cavaliers
ggs - Raptors
the one - Trailblazers
lastemp3ror - Wizards
sabonis - Spurs
ed - Pistons
mbuser - Jazz
kingctb27 - Mavericks
kingmob6 - Lakers
Humdinger - Bucks
The Thrill - Timberwolves
statsman88 - Pacers
geodbear - Hawks
Coast to Coast - Nets
The Magic Mon - Kings
Rounders Block - Nuggets
Rizzo - 76ers
Jimboozie - Grizzlies
Aftermath - Rockets
fbc_fan - Sonics

Mods:
nebgib5
mbuser
Nene
Legia13
ggs
Rounders Block

That is all. Have fun. ;-D
nebgib5
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Posts: 5214
Joined: 16 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: hangin' with becky

Re: The Rules *Please Read*

Postby Yilun » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:32 pm

Thanks for putting all of this together neb.

Might I suggest that we shorten the time limit to 12 hours instead of 24? I'm afraid that a 24 hour time limit will cause this already-gigantic draft to go way longer than anyone initially planned.
Image
*rocking the new blamer sig*
Yilun
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3276
(Past Year: 7)
Joined: 6 Dec 2005
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: The confines of reality are too grand for my imaginative capacity

Re: The Rules *Please Read*

Postby nebgib5 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:17 pm

Yilun wrote:Thanks for putting all of this together neb.

Might I suggest that we shorten the time limit to 12 hours instead of 24? I'm afraid that a 24 hour time limit will cause this already-gigantic draft to go way longer than anyone initially planned.

I would be in favor of it. The problem I see is that way too many people might miss their picks, and then get angry about who gets selected for them. When you only get 1 pick out of every 30, having a 2nd or 3rd rounder autopicked for you who doesn't fit with your scheme or whatever could really screw you. If people are willing to be good about it, I'll certainly shorten it to 12. If people were just good about always PMing picks to the moderators this wouldn't be a problem at all, but I've been a participant in too many drafts to think that that will happen. ;-7

It's open to discussion.
nebgib5
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Posts: 5214
Joined: 16 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: hangin' with becky

Re: The Rules *Please Read*

Postby lastemp3ror » Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:45 am

nebgib5 wrote:
Yilun wrote:Thanks for putting all of this together neb.

Might I suggest that we shorten the time limit to 12 hours instead of 24? I'm afraid that a 24 hour time limit will cause this already-gigantic draft to go way longer than anyone initially planned.

I would be in favor of it. The problem I say is that way too many people might miss their picks, and then get angry about who gets selected for them. When you only get 1 pick out of every 30, having a 2nd or 3rd rounder autopicked for you who doesn't fit with your scheme or whatever could really screw you. If people are willing to be good about it, I'll certainly shorten it to 12. If people were just good about always PMing picks to the moderators this wouldn't be a problem at all, but I've been a participant in too many drafts to think that that will happen. ;-7

It's open to discussion.


It could potentially take a full year with 24 hours alloted for each pick :-/ Although, after the first 5 rounds or so, the extra time would be nice. (playing devil's advocate)
lastemp3ror
Head Coach
Head Coach


Posts: 1385
Joined: 2 Nov 2006
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: The District

Re: The Rules *Please Read*

Postby nebgib5 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:23 am

lastemp3ror wrote:
nebgib5 wrote:
Yilun wrote:Thanks for putting all of this together neb.

Might I suggest that we shorten the time limit to 12 hours instead of 24? I'm afraid that a 24 hour time limit will cause this already-gigantic draft to go way longer than anyone initially planned.

I would be in favor of it. The problem I say is that way too many people might miss their picks, and then get angry about who gets selected for them. When you only get 1 pick out of every 30, having a 2nd or 3rd rounder autopicked for you who doesn't fit with your scheme or whatever could really screw you. If people are willing to be good about it, I'll certainly shorten it to 12. If people were just good about always PMing picks to the moderators this wouldn't be a problem at all, but I've been a participant in too many drafts to think that that will happen. ;-7

It's open to discussion.


It could potentially take a full year with 24 hours alloted for each pick :-/ Although, after the first 5 rounds or so, the extra time would be nice. (playing devil's advocate)

Depends how dedicated people are. In the Cafe Collaborative, we completed a 49 round draft (588 picks) in 6 weeks. }:-) I'll change it tentatively to 12 hours, and if anyone is strongly opposed to it, we can have a little debate.
nebgib5
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Posts: 5214
Joined: 16 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: hangin' with becky

Re: The Rules *Please Read*

Postby tianyi86 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:37 am

12h might be a problem. Suppose you receive the notice right when you go to sleep at night, and did not have time to check the forums in the morning, then you will miss your pick. I think a 24h rule with everyone being as efficient as possible by aiming to draft within 12h works better.
tianyi86
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 1415
Joined: 31 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: The Rules *Please Read*

Postby nebgib5 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:49 am

tianyi86 wrote:12h might be a problem. Suppose you receive the notice right when you go to sleep at night, and did not have time to check the forums in the morning, then you will miss your pick. I think a 24h rule with everyone being as efficient as possible by aiming to draft within 12h works better.

This is also a good point, although one could avoid the problem altogether by PMing mods with picks.
nebgib5
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Posts: 5214
Joined: 16 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: hangin' with becky

Re: The Rules *Please Read*

Postby Yilun » Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:21 am

How about if through the first 5 rounds, we go with a 24 hour limit and then from rounds 6-12, we go with a 12 hour limit?
Image
*rocking the new blamer sig*
Yilun
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3276
(Past Year: 7)
Joined: 6 Dec 2005
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: The confines of reality are too grand for my imaginative capacity

Re: The Rules *Please Read*

Postby lastemp3ror » Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:43 am

Yilun wrote:How about if through the first 5 rounds, we go with a 24 hour limit and then from rounds 6-12, we go with a 12 hour limit?


I think, if anything it should be the other way around. I think there is more thinking involved as the draft gets deeper. Hence, we should start at 12 hours and then at round 5-6 go to 24 hours.
lastemp3ror
Head Coach
Head Coach


Posts: 1385
Joined: 2 Nov 2006
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: The District

Re: The Rules *Please Read*

Postby tianyi86 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:57 am

lastemp3ror wrote:
Yilun wrote:How about if through the first 5 rounds, we go with a 24 hour limit and then from rounds 6-12, we go with a 12 hour limit?


I think, if anything it should be the other way around. I think there is more thinking involved as the draft gets deeper. Hence, we should start at 12 hours and then at round 5-6 go to 24 hours.


I think this makes more sense. To be honest, people don't make picks in time not because they are thinking for 5h but miss the deadline; rather they miss because they simply weren't online or didn't have time. This is when the draft list to mod comes in. It is much easier to have a draft list of players in the early rounds when when taking a young stud is the obvious way to go than later rounds when you need to decide what bench player you really need.
tianyi86
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 1415
Joined: 31 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Basketball

Next

Return to FBC Reshuffle

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues



Get Ready...
The 2014 NBA season starts in 7:49 hours
(and 63 days)


  • Fantasy Basketball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact