Draft Discussion - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Reshuffle

Draft Discussion

Moderators: silentjim, RedHopeful, mbuser, jphanned

Re: Draft Discussion

Postby Vanadis » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:28 pm

Probably will draw a lot of controversy, but I went with a really small guy as the #2 pick.

I wasn't quite expecting Dwight to go #1 so it made my choice somewhat harder. While Dwight is athletically extremely gifted, I am wary of players who don't shoot well from the FT line. Efficiency is key in my opinion and the ability to consistently deliver in the clutch. I remember when the Lakers couldn't even run plays for Shaq in the last minute because they were afraid he'd be fouled. A big man like that still needs someone to get the ball to them.
Vanadis
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby ggs » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:32 pm

Vanadis wrote:Probably will draw a lot of controversy, but I went with a really small guy as the #2 pick.

I wasn't quite expecting Dwight to go #1 so it made my choice somewhat harder. While Dwight is athletically extremely gifted, I am wary of players who don't shoot well from the FT line. Efficiency is key in my opinion and the ability to consistently deliver in the clutch. I remember when the Lakers couldn't even run plays for Shaq in the last minute because they were afraid he'd be fouled. A big man like that still needs someone to get the ball to them.

The Paul pick surprises me, but I can't argue against it. PG and C are the most difficult positions to fill and both of us are halfway there. Paul was in my top 5 but if I didn't draft Dwight I can't say he would have been my number 1. Still, there's no arguing his talent and vision are simply spectacular.

The free throw concern is pretty big for me, but as he's only 22 year old I feel this aspect of his game can be developed. His body can't get much bigger without losing some mobility, so hopefully he spends his offseasons working on that jumper. I definitely feel you on the need for effectiveness (especially with your first rounder), but Dwight is a talent that I simply could not pass up.
ggs
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 133)

Postby deadshot11 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:54 pm

No problem with Dwight at #1.

I'm not so sure about Chris Paul at #2 though. With this early of a pick, I'd want someone who could carry a team, because it's not going to be easy pickings by the time the end of the 2nd round comes. I understand taking a PG or C, but I'm just not sure about building a team around Paul. Howard and a bunch of scrubs I can see, but a small PG and a bunch of scrubs, I don't see winning very much, even if the PG is as quick and talented as Paul.

Additionally, I'm not fully convinced yet that Paul is the best young PG to take in this draft. Yes, he can blow by pretty much anybody, but he doesn't seem like a person who could take over at the end of the game for you if you needed him too. I can him leading his team to a lot of regular season wins, but I don't know about winning games in the playoffs, when every possession counts. He'll also be very undersized for guarding other bigger PGs. Also, I don't know how he'd hold up injury wise.

So there's your controversy for ya. I DO think that Paul is a VERY good PG, and could easily be great. And I do think that he's a great first round pick. I'm just not sure that I think he's the BEST pick at this spot.

Although as I'm righting this, I realized how varied a lot of these picks are going to be that we're going to see in this draft, because everything will be even MORE based on people's personal preferences for players, and what type of teams should be built, and how team chemistry works, because there's no sheet of numbers for us to simply plug into formulas and compare like in regular fantasy leagues. Though I guess you could do something like the video games and give ratings for things like "clutch" and "stamina", and other factors we don't usually see in the box scores.
deadshot11
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 24)

Postby sabonis » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:57 pm

silentjim wrote:I love this so far. Very intriguing. Love the comments from each drafter as well. ;-D

i totally love it too

but I'm not sure this is going to last. how many rounds are we gonna draft btw? I mean at the end of 10th round there will be 300 picks and 300th pick won't have any intriguing comments =)

also, are we allowed to draft NCAAB and NBDL players? because I don't have any idea about those guys (I live in Turkey) :-D
sabonis
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby nebgib5 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:58 pm

Paul is an interesting pick. The argument isn't going to be too developed until a couple other guys come off the board and we're allowed to talk about them. Certainly, the pick raises the question of what role two things will play in owners' minds as they draft: position scarcity/importance, and how much weight is put into this season versus previous ones. I think there's always the tendency to go with guys who are playing really well this year (Howard and Paul certainly are). It would be interesting to see how different this whole thing would go down had we conducted this draft right before the NBA season instead of during it. A mere ~3 months have elapsed, so it's not like any of the top players have come out of nowhere since then, but public perception of them has certainly shifted.

Either way, can't go wrong with either of those guys headlining your team.
nebgib5
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby nebgib5 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:00 pm

sabonis wrote:also, are we allowed to draft NCAAB and NBDL players? because I don't have any idea about those guys (I live in Turkey) :-D

NBDL yes, NCAA no. You don't need an extensive knowledge of the D-League, though you might want to look up a few recent high draft picks who are currently playing in it.
nebgib5
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby geodbear » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:05 pm

I can't find fault with either pick even though I likely would not have picked Paul #2. Paul was definitely in my top 5 for starting a franchise. I think things will get interesting when it comes to the middle and late first rounders. I really have no idea who would be available to me when it gets to #17.
Yes, Warriors sold at last!
geodbear

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 219)

Postby Rizzo » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:05 pm

Two picks and already controversy... this is going to be great! With the Paul pick, I'm not sure I would have taken him at #2 but he was in my top 4, so I can't say it was that much of a reach. I think there is someone out there that a lot of us expected to go top-2 and I think that's what some people are basing their commentary on.

About Paul not being the best PG... I haven't watched a lot of him this season, but when I have I have seen a pure floor general who does have the capability to take over games when necessary. He can blow by almost any PG in the league and has got some great range on his jump shot. I definitely think he's the #1 PG in this draft and is worthy of a top-4 pick. Let's just see who Vanadis drafts to put around Paul in the coming rounds.

Keep the picks coming guys! ;-D

sabonis wrote:also, are we allowed to draft NCAAB and NBDL players? because I don't have any idea about those guys (I live in Turkey) :-D

If I'm not mistaken, we CAN select NBDL players and CAN NOT select NCAAB players.
Rizzo
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Rizzo » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:06 pm

geodbear wrote:I really have no idea who would be available to me when it gets to #17.

Let me know who you want and I'll make sure I don't take him at #16.... ;-)
Rizzo
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby deadshot11 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:17 pm

Another interesting factor will be age, and how different managers value it. I think most of us are thinking along building the best franchise possible, but it'll be interesting to see which team everyone thinks would win the championship THIS year (or next year, depending when the draft gets done). And it'd also be interesting to see if someone takes a "win now" approach, like maybe an older Boston team this year, versus having a strong team for the next decade.
deadshot11
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 24)

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Reshuffle