Draft Discussion - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Reshuffle

Draft Discussion

Moderators: silentjim, RedHopeful, mbuser, jphanned

Re: Draft Discussion

Postby ggs » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:33 pm

deadshot11 wrote:Another interesting factor will be age, and how different managers value it. I think most of us are thinking along building the best franchise possible, but it'll be interesting to see which team everyone thinks would win the championship THIS year (or next year, depending when the draft gets done). And it'd also be interesting to see if someone takes a "win now" approach, like maybe an older Boston team this year, versus having a strong team for the next decade.

lets just say even at pick #1 one of the guys in my top 4 is over the age of 30. i can only imagine the trouble you'll have making a decision in the mid-late first.

i do agree that paul is the number 1 pg in the draft, but let's just say he's not heads and shoulders above the rest of the competition. you could certainly make an argument for several other point guards both this year and beyond.

and i also agree that perhaps we are a bit puzzled on the paul pick because there's someone else that we would have expected at number 2.
ggs
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 143)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby jphanned » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:42 pm

ggs wrote:and i also agree that perhaps we are a bit puzzled on the paul pick because there's someone else that we would have expected at number 2.

No doubt.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Postby ed » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:57 pm

Paul at #2 certainly seems like a reach to me...
ed
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Legia13 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:11 pm

Can't argue Lebron at 3. You could even argue that it was a steal. I think he is a much bigger draw than Dwight/Paul are or over will be.
You mess with the best you die like the resT

Legia13
College Captain
College Captain

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Vanadis » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:27 pm

There were certain things that came into play for me.

1 being the age factor and the fact that Paul is young and already performing at an extremely high PG level.

When I did my analysis, I determined that Paul was the #1 PG that I would build my team around. Given that, there may not be a huge dropoff to the #2-5 PG depending whether you value size, current vs. future, etc. but I saw Paul as the overall best one and then evaluated it from that perspective of if I don't choose Paul, by the time my next pick comes around at #59, likely 2-5 are all gone and possibly even 10-15.

In my mind, there's a huge dropoff from a #1 PG and a #15 PG versus the #1 other position to #15 of the other positions.

If I had the choice between Dwight and Paul, Paul is a no brainer for me since I could plug in a number of big men to simply finish dunks. So given that people don't seem to think Dwight was a reach, I don't see a big issue with picking Paul #2. Not to say that I didn't have to think quite a bit about choosing Paul since I was heavily considering Lebron. Dwight was never in the consideration when I found out I was #2 pick.

Since he was selected, I can now talk about Lebron. He was extremely enticing and I thought he would go #1. I'm just personally not a fan of his and skeptical of his age :-D . Haha. He may be really only 23 but his body/cells seems developed beyond his years and might just decay faster also. His body might be sped up from most human aging speeds.
Vanadis
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Jimboozie » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:28 pm

Legia13 wrote:Can't argue Lebron at 3. You could even argue that it was a steal. I think he is a much bigger draw than Dwight/Paul are or over will be.

I'd take Lebron #1 overall for his marketability alone. :-D
Big ups to Lightning Block for the sweet sig!
Jimboozie
College Captain
College Captain

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Legia13 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:36 pm

Jimboozie wrote:
Legia13 wrote:Can't argue Lebron at 3. You could even argue that it was a steal. I think he is a much bigger draw than Dwight/Paul are or over will be.

I'd take Lebron #1 overall for his marketability alone. :-D

Exactly. The guy does nothing but draw fans to the arena and TV. China's favorite non-Chinese player is Lebron and they tune into Cavs games with great frequency. I remember reading that the Cavs actually capitalized and put up a Chinese advertisement in the rotating ads under the commentators' seats.

Simply put, Lebron = $ and droves of fans
You mess with the best you die like the resT

Legia13
College Captain
College Captain

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ggs » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:57 pm

Legia13 wrote:Exactly. The guy does nothing but draw fans to the arena and TV. China's favorite non-Chinese player is Lebron and they tune into Cavs games with great frequency. I remember reading that the Cavs actually capitalized and put up a Chinese advertisement in the rotating ads under the commentators' seats.

Definitely agree with that, lebron is probably the most marketable player in the nba right now. 2 main reasons why I avoided drafting him:

1. Position scarcity at C and PG, versus a glut of scorers/wingmen who can play the 2/3. My chances of finding a poor man's lebron is much easier than a poor man's dwight howard. ie a wing player who will give me 18/4/2 is a lot easier than finding a C who scores, blocks, and boards - a young one, anyways.
2. Hesitant to rebuild the current cavs franchise. I was hesitant to draft lebron as I realized I would very likely end up rebuilding the current cavs roster - ie by the time pick 60 and 61 rolls around I would likely grab a) a decent big man and b) a second tier pg. I would then surround the team with guys who shoot threes and role players. The offence would really just be lebron + shooters. Not that that's a bad route to go, just something I wanted to avoid.
ggs
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 143)

Postby Nene » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:06 pm

Interesting way of putting it , ggs. I didn't think that his position could be building a roster that is similar to the Cavs roster now. I think I have an idea of what i want at pick 19, but obviously there is a lot of sitting & watching and second guessing before the commish steps to the podium to announce my pick :-D

Let's just say I am hoping to grab a certain PG.
Nene Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Coast to Coast » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:22 pm

ggs wrote:
Legia13 wrote:Exactly. The guy does nothing but draw fans to the arena and TV. China's favorite non-Chinese player is Lebron and they tune into Cavs games with great frequency. I remember reading that the Cavs actually capitalized and put up a Chinese advertisement in the rotating ads under the commentators' seats.

Definitely agree with that, lebron is probably the most marketable player in the nba right now. 2 main reasons why I avoided drafting him:

1. Position scarcity at C and PG, versus a glut of scorers/wingmen who can play the 2/3. My chances of finding a poor man's lebron is much easier than a poor man's dwight howard. ie a wing player who will give me 18/4/2 is a lot easier than finding a C who scores, blocks, and boards - a young one, anyways.
2. Hesitant to rebuild the current cavs franchise. I was hesitant to draft lebron as I realized I would very likely end up rebuilding the current cavs roster - ie by the time pick 60 and 61 rolls around I would likely grab a) a decent big man and b) a second tier pg. I would then surround the team with guys who shoot threes and role players. The offence would really just be lebron + shooters. Not that that's a bad route to go, just something I wanted to avoid.

Understand your points, but LeBron, like Michael Jordan, is a pretty rare gem that regardless of PG and C will compete for a championship. Other than Pippen, all MJ ever had was strong role players. LeBron is similar in that regard. Plus I could always experiment and play LeBron at PG again...
Coast to Coast
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Reshuffle