Draft Discussion - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Reshuffle

Draft Discussion

Moderators: silentjim, RedHopeful, mbuser, jphanned

Re: Draft Discussion

Postby geodbear » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:38 pm

Lebron transcends the need to pick based on position scarcity. In looking for the first pick for a team, in simplest terms, I've been thinking (a) superstar, (b) floor leader, or (c) inside presence. This was covered with the first three picks. As for Lebron, he is (a) and (b). You don't need the top tier PG to build around him, but you would still want an inside presence.
Yes, Warriors sold at last!
geodbear

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 237)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Vanadis » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:52 pm

I wonder if my fans would try to torch my office before my team would get a chance to prove themselves with W/L.

That's 1 factor I didn't quite think of.
Vanadis
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Nene » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:15 am

I just ranked my top 127.

Different than fantasy, to be sure. And a lot of prospecting.
Nene Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Nene » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:22 am

I wish I could mention undrafted players, b/c I ran into a lot of up and comers that I think are going to eventually be great.
Nene Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Humdinger » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:48 am

love the discussion already...Paul would have been the first PG i selected too, but I'm at 23, so I figured he would be way gone before he got to me anywho...Really have to wonder what the next 20 or so picks will look like

But it sucks somethin fierce not going until pick 23....at least the second round will be a bit easier to plan for (at least i would hope).
Humdinger
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Rizzo » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:31 am

I think most of us thought Lebron would be #1 or #2 along with Dwight, so it was a no-brainer to see him go at #3 (or was it :-? ). Can't knock the choice of Lebron, nor can I knock the choices of Dwight and Paul. Personally, my list went Dwight, [undrafted player], Lebron then Paul, so this draft so far isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Listening to everyone defend their picks, you can't knock them for their logic. Superstars, floor generals, big men. Three things you look for in your first pick. Position scarcity is definitely something to draft around (just like fantasy), but I definitely like the idea of running Lebron at the PG position. Strategy is going to be huge throughout this draft.

Great stuff so far and we're only 3 picks in. Keep it up guys! ;-D
Rizzo
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby nebgib5 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:40 am

Chalk at #3. Definitely the steal of the draft thus far.
nebgib5
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby the one » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:09 am

Dwight Howard at #1 was a bold move. You can't teach size and Howard will be a dominant big man at both ends of the court for a decade. I think I would have gone with LeBron because on court I think they are equal but LeBron has that marketing edge. But on court I don't think many people can argue with the pick. Any franchise would love to build around Howard. Looks like Toronto will have that chance.

Paul was a big surprise for me. LeBron is a play maker so I think if you have LeBron, you don't need a tradtional PG just a guy to bring up the ball, play defense ,and shoot threes and open jumpers. But it is always nice to have a premier PG and play maker for the next decade to make erybody else on the team better and build a team around.

LeBron- Christmas came a bit late for you but you did get LeBron. Very nice at #3.
the one
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Coast to Coast » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:45 am

I like the Wade pick and gave him serious consideration at #3...
Coast to Coast
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby kingmob6 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:56 am

Can't go wrong with a guy like Wade. He is a superstar at 25, and already has enough championship poise and playoff experience to carry a team deep in the playoffs. He is an NBA's model citizen, a recognizable world attraction with enough game to dwarf any player in the league individually, and a highlight reel in the making on any given moment.
kingmob6
College Captain
College Captain

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Reshuffle