Draft Discussion - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Reshuffle

Draft Discussion

Moderators: silentjim, RedHopeful, mbuser, jphanned

Re: Draft Discussion

Postby the one » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:19 am

Wade has just about everything going for him. Scorer, play maker, good character, leadership and good on defense. If he ever develops that outside shot, he will be impossible to guard. If he remains healthy, he will be a solid pick at this point. But man he just gets wacked hard a few times every game and that has to take its toll on his body. If I was the GM/coach, I would have Wade work on that outside shot so he doesn't have to drive to the basket all the time.
the one
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby jphanned » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:03 am

I'm a big Dwyane Wade fan but did not like the pick at #4. Durability is a big issue with him considering his style of play and no matter how good a team is, it will suffer big time without its star player and floor leader.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 333)

Postby blamer » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:30 am

My take on the picks up to now.

#1 Dwight Howard: Not much to say there. A young Center who dominates on both ends of the floor and still have some more room to develop. Would have been my choice at 1st too.

#2 Chris Paul: As much as I adore the way he plays the game (3.9 Ass/TO ratio 8-o ), personally, I would have gone with LeBron here. I can understand Vanadis' reasoning on a stud wing player vs a stud PG and I am on the same page with him. But LeBron is a special case. He provides everything that I would be asking from a stud SF AND a decent PG (well, everything except the shouting touch ;-7 ). And in addition to that, he is a media favorite. Can't let such publicity to slip away.

But reading Vanadis's comments about his pick, I am pretty sure he knew what he is doing. And like I said earlier, I just love the way CP3 plays. So another good pick.

#3 LeBron James: Well, steal of the draft so far in my opinion. I have already stated my stand on him.

#4 Dwayne Wade: Well, "the one" and "RB" pretty much summed up what I wanted to say about this pick. Wade is just fantastic and one of the best young stars in the league. But unless he finds himself a good Mid-Long Range game, he won't be able stay that way for long. And becasue of that, 4th pick is a bit early for my linking.
Last edited by blamer on Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blamer
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Graphics Expert

Postby Yilun » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:30 am

nebgib5 wrote:Paul is an interesting pick. The argument isn't going to be too developed until a couple other guys come off the board and we're allowed to talk about them. Certainly, the pick raises the question of what role two things will play in owners' minds as they draft: position scarcity/importance, and how much weight is put into this season versus previous ones. I think there's always the tendency to go with guys who are playing really well this year (Howard and Paul certainly are). It would be interesting to see how different this whole thing would go down had we conducted this draft right before the NBA season instead of during it. A mere ~3 months have elapsed, so it's not like any of the top players have come out of nowhere since then, but public perception of them has certainly shifted.

Either way, can't go wrong with either of those guys headlining your team.

I like how you put it neb. I think the fact that CP3 is playing at an MVP level right now really has influenced the overall public perception of him as an elite point guard. I think had he started off the season injured or in a slump, perhaps we wouldn't be having this conversation right now. In any case, I don't deny the fact that he should easily be one of the best PG's for years to come. I watched tonight's game against the Warriors and boy....did CP3 play like men amongst boys tonight. He simply could...not...be...stopped. Incredible talent.

I like the D12 pick at first. I would have probably done the same thing myself. History has shown that building around a successful big men has led to very successful teams. And at a tender age of 22, there's plenty of peaking yet to come ;-D

Lebron at #3 can probably be considered a steal in my book as well. I agree that he is one of those once in a decade type players who can really turn a franchise around. His combination of strength, speed, agility, and athleticism are unparallel.

Not too sure about the Wade pick at #4. Although it can be argued that he is young and can be just as explosive and successful as LBJ (and the fact that he already has one championship ring), I also see his durability as an issue. No doubt when healthy, he can take over and simply dominate games. However, his recent injuries to his shoulders, knees, and pretty much every other part of his body worries me a bit to take him at the 4 spot.
*rocking the new blamer sig*
Yilun
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 7)
Location: The confines of reality are too grand for my imaginative capacity

Postby deadshot11 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:43 am

I REALLY like the Wade pick, and the reason is, the goal of this whole redraft to me is Championships. If you win championships, it means you both be playing good ball and selling lots of tickets. And Wade is at/near the top of the list of players who will win you championships. He'll single-handedly give any team an extra few playoff wins each year just by his ability to get it done in a close game. Yes, he'll be hit-or-miss many years in terms of injuries and his availability, which is most important in the playoffs. But the years he's there and healthy, watch out. I honestly think he didn't really need Shaq the year they won the title. He was the SOLE reason for the Heat championship that year.

Have a player who already has the ball in his hands and can then get you points on the board down the stretch of a close game, that's worth its weight in...trophies. And Wade's one of the premier players at doing this, past, present, and hopefully a long future.
deadshot11
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 24)

Postby sabonis » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:37 am

i would've picked wade at 2 ;-D
sabonis
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby sabonis » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:40 am

blamer wrote:#4 Dwayne Wade: Well, "the one" and "RB" pretty much summed up what I wanted to say about this pick. Wade is just fantastic and one of the best young stars on the league. But unless he finds himself a good Mid-Long Range game, he won't be able stay that way for long. And becasue of that, 4th pick is a bit early for my linking.

actually he does have that mid/long range jump shot. and it's pretty darn good. only missing aspect of his game is the 3pointer. I think from now on, he should work on that. If I were him, I definitely would have starting working on my 3pointer.
sabonis
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby ggs » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:18 pm

deadshot11 wrote:I REALLY like the Wade pick, and the reason is, the goal of this whole redraft to me is Championships. If you win championships, it means you both be playing good ball and selling lots of tickets. And Wade is at/near the top of the list of players who will win you championships. He'll single-handedly give any team an extra few playoff wins each year just by his ability to get it done in a close game. Yes, he'll be hit-or-miss many years in terms of injuries and his availability, which is most important in the playoffs. But the years he's there and healthy, watch out. I honestly think he didn't really need Shaq the year they won the title. He was the SOLE reason for the Heat championship that year.

Have a player who already has the ball in his hands and can then get you points on the board down the stretch of a close game, that's worth its weight in...trophies. And Wade's one of the premier players at doing this, past, present, and hopefully a long future.

Very good point here, championships are the key for any franchise (well, that and selling tickets). But if you do the first the second will take care of itself. Wade has that experience, and i believe he does have the ability to bring a team deep into the playoffs. I disagree that he didn't need shaq though, i think he needs good role players (like almost EVERY superstar in this league) to take a bit of the load off himself, and thus stay healthy by not putting his body out there and wearing himself down night after night.

I think there's still a guys I like who I probably would have picked over wade at 4, but you cannot fault the pick one bit. When the only major knock against the guy (durability) is a result of his desire to get to the line, you can't really go wrong with this pick at 4.
ggs
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 133)

Postby Rizzo » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:31 pm

I think Wade went a little early. The durability issue always is a problem, but look at the Heat this year. Doesn't look like he gets the most of his teammates. Granted, he is averaging 7 assists a game this season, but you think with his teammates struggling he would be able to get them some easy buckets to perhaps get them going. That's not happening.

Where would I have taken Wade? Definitely top-10, but there is definitely another SG that I thought should have gone at this spot.

But like I have said for all the picks so far, as long as you can defend the pick you make, it can't be labeled as a "bad" pick. How about we rattle off the next 11 picks so the 76ers and GM Rizzo can get on the clock! ;-D
Rizzo
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby blamer » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:56 pm

sabonis wrote:actually he does have that mid/long range jump shot. and it's pretty darn good. only missing aspect of his game is the 3pointer. I think from now on, he should work on that. If I were him, I definitely would have starting working on my 3pointer.

Well, having a good mid range jumper does not neccessarly mean he has a good Mid range game. ;-) When I said a Mid-Long range game, I meant a game style that optimizes his shooting ability. As it is now, he is relying his explosiveness way to much and getting pounded hard everytime he trys one of those Wade-ish lay-ups.

Don't get me wrong. He has a very good character with some amazing hoop skills and he IS currently one of the best superstar in the game. But what really concerns me is his future value. If he keeps playing with the same style he is now, he will be a lot less effective when he gets older (even if he manages to stay away from serious injuries) and you don't want that from your number one guy for years to come.

And again, I am not saying he is bad player to build around. I am just stating that, I wouldn't have drafted him at the 4th spot.
blamer
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Graphics Expert

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Reshuffle