Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Reshuffle

ROUND 1

Moderators: silentjim, RedHopeful, mbuser, jphanned

Re: ROUND 1

Postby Legia13 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:02 pm

With the tenth pick of the 2008 Cafe Reshuffle Draft, the Chicago Bulls select:

1.10 Amare Stoudamire, Center

As stated numerous times by the GM's here, a dominant big man is hard to come by in the NBA, yet extremely vital to build a successful franchise. With Amare my team gets that explosive inside game as he is dynamic and powerful on the offensive end. He can run the floor very effectively and finish inside with power or a fade away eight footer. Another aspect that sold me on Amare is his relatively serviceable FT% for a big man. He is a career 73% ft shooter which puts him equal with LBJ. He's an extremly exciting player which can make him a center piece in advertising the team throughout the city and selling tickets. His only downfall is his inability to defend very effectively one on one in the post. He has very good blocking abilities but has been repeatedly beaten by the other team's big men in the post. I'm going to have to address this defensive need while drafting the rest of my front court. There is a slight injury risk as he's had surgery on his knee which caused him to sit out the majority of a season, but I'm confident he can have a relatively injury free career from here on in. Aside from that, he's a quick explosive center who can take over a game in the crunch, and best of all he's barely 25 years old.
You mess with the best you die like the resT

Legia13
College Captain
College Captain

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nebgib5 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:05 pm

RobitusinZ selects:

1.11 Chris Bosh, C
nebgib5
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby statsman88 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:41 pm

1.12 Tim Duncan-PF,C

4 NBA Championships and 3 Finals MVP's. Sounds exactly like the kind of leader I want on my team. Yes, he's not an up and coming superstar, but he is a veteran that knows how to win and does it fundamentally. I believe he has at least 4 years left as a top player, and will play for at least 6 more years. He is a big man that is a complete player-a very rare talent. He can do it on both the offensive end where he has averaged over 20 pts per game for his career, and on the defensive end where he has averaged about 12 rebounds and 2.5 blocks over his fine career.

I don't need flash on my team, I want to win. Tim Duncan is a leader that knows how to win. Plus he is a great guy for the community, and is a great role model.
statsman88
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Writer
Location: Counting down the days till Barkely gets fired via Imus

Postby sabonis » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:34 pm

With the thirteenth pick of the 2008 Cafe Reshuffle Draft, the San Antonio Spurs select:

1.13 Kevin Durant, SG/SF

This guy will be our franchise player. At the age of 19 he's posting 20 ppg in the NBA. What more do I need to say? Yes he is skinny and yes his FG% is pretty low. But once he moves to his original position (SF) his FG% will increase. Also even Lebron's FG% was around 41% in his first year. Durant is gonna put some muscle on, this will both help his FG% and his rebounding skills. He already blocks shots at the rate of a power forward. So as he is 19, I really love the 15 years he can give me.
sabonis
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Kingctb27 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:37 pm

With the 14th pick in the 1st round, the Dallas Mavericks select 28 year old Elton Brand, PF.

Sure, EB is hurt, but when on the court, I don't think there are many better overall players in the league. At 6'8 Brand is undersized at the PF position to an extent but Brands' enormous wingspan makes up for his lack of size. A true baller on both ends of the court, Brand has career averages of 20.3 ppg and 10.2 rpg on the offensive side of the ball, and also averages a STELLAR 2.1 bpg and .9 spg on the defensive end of the court. Brand might be out another 4-6 weeks, but the hard working power forwared has reportedly put on 10 pounds of muscle in his upper body while rehabilitating his ruptured Achilles.

Brand will be an anchor on both ends of the court for the Dallas Mavericks with his consistent play and Elton looks to take aim at his first NBA Championship upon return.

Western conference, you have been warned. B-)
2006-2007 Overall H2H record: 561-369-15; The #'s don't lie.
Kingctb27
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby the one » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:08 am

With the 15th pick of the 1st round the Portland Trail Blazers select...

1.15 Al Jefferson PF/C

The Trail Blazers get that young stud big man that is always so coveted. Of course I was going to do a complete homer pick but decided to go with more of a proven quantity. Jefferson is one of the best low post players in the game at 22, scratch that he just turned 23 a few days ago. He is already getting 20 points a game and I think he can hit 25 when he hits his prime. He does the job on the boards as well pulling down 12 a game thus far this year. He gets decent blocks but his defense is suspect. But it is the Trailblazers belief that with emphasis and training he can become more than just a decent defender. He can become a defensive force. I like this kids attitude as well. He didn't ask for a max contract because he said he had yet to prove himself. Although he might have been able to get one if he pushed it. He doesn't have that big head that so many young stars have this day of age.
the one
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Rizzo » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:11 am

1.16 Gilbert Arenas, G

Not exactly the player the 76ers had in mind when coming into the draft, but with all the franchise big men off the board, had to go with Arenas. At 25 years old, "Agent 0" is just entering his prime and will be terrorizing defenses for years to come. Averaging 30 points, 6 assists, 4 boards and 2 steals is not out of the question for Gilbert. Philadelphia remembers a great under-sized guard that led them to the NBA championship series just a few years ago, but I know we will put better pieces around Arenas than were here when the 76ers lost to the Lakers.
Rizzo
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby geodbear » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:57 pm

With the 17th pick, the Atlanta Hawks select...

1.17 Carmelo Anthony, SF

He's young (23) and an All-Star. The fourth player from his draft class to be drafted here.He'll need the right pieces around him but will be the offensive focus of a building Hawks franchise.
Yes, Warriors sold at last!
geodbear

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 237)

Postby tianyi86 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:57 pm

With the 18th pick, the New York Knicks select...

Andrew Bynum

Remember when Kobe wanted another All-Star to compliment him in another title run? Remember who the Nets asked for in return for Jason Kidd and who the Pacers asked for JON? Yep, that man is Andrew Bynum because he has unlimited potential.

Bynum is only 20 years old but already a physical specimen standing at 7'0, 275 lb. With some additional workouts, he can easily bulk up on more muscle and hit 290 to 300, and be a defensive nightmare for almost every other center. Also, remember his height is still growing considering he was drafted at 6'10. If he grows another inch or two, he will be one of the hardest player to guard due to his size, incredible wing span, and lateral quickness.

Offensively, his game is still a little raw and scores mostly close to the basket but what we see this year is promising. He runs well without the ball and hits the open spot well. Defensively, he's already one of the better centers in the NBA as he aims to disrupt every shot and plays with the heart and passion that many Knicks player seem to lack over the year.

With his young age, the Knicks acquired a franchise center that can play for at least 12 more years and given his relatively local status (Bynum grew up in New Jersey) he will be a crowd favorite as well.
tianyi86
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Nene » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:24 pm

With the 19th Pick in the Cafe Reshuffle, The Orlando Magic select:

Carlos Boozer, F/C

The 26 year old beast of a power forward promises to be a good cornerstone on which to build the Magic. Currently averaging a loud double double of 23.5 pts and 11.3 rebs, Boozer is a great go to player and boasts a 55% FG%. While not the most marketable star, Boozer is a meat & potatoes type player who brings it hard every night. A one-time all star, he is sure to make many more appearances to the event playing for the Magic. We are pleased to welcome Carlos Boozer as our starting PF. As you can see below, Carlos is equally as pumped to join the Magic.

Nene Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Reshuffle