Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Reshuffle

ROUND 1

Moderators: silentjim, RedHopeful, mbuser, jphanned

Re: ROUND 1

Postby mbuser » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:53 pm

round 1, pick 20, the utah jazz select:

Brandon Roy, G (6'6, 229, 23 years old)

he has the skill and size to do any number of things on both ends of the court, is high-character and likeable, and has already shown that he's a team leader. most importantly, roy possesses that special talent of being able to make others around him better -- and that's how you win games
mbuser
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby koven » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:01 pm

1.21 Steve Nash

The Rockets select Steve Nash, undeniably one of the top guards in the league. Leading the league in assists, he is able to create offense consistently and is also a great shooter.
Last edited by koven on Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
13-man 10-team H2H.. 3rd
koven
College Captain
College Captain

Postby fbc_fan » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:06 pm

With the 22 pick in the first round the Seattle Supersonics select:

1.22 Josh Smith, F

Last edited by fbc_fan on Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
^^^thanks to Idahofan1 for the slick sig!
fbc_fan
College Captain
College Captain

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Humdinger » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:36 pm

1.23 With the 23rd selection, the Milwaukee Bucks are pleased to select PG Tony Parker.

Parker has already solidified his name as one of the elite point guards in the league. At only 25 years of age, he as already shown what it takes to lead his team to victory. Having won multiple championships and already a Finals MVP, Parker is a natural born leader who has proven he is worthy of being a franchise player. Even having completed so much in the league, Parker is still years away from his prime. He has an uncanny ability to consistently take it to the hoop and shoots above 50% from the field. With a steadily improving jumpshot and him being an above average defender, Parker should be a player to build around.

Factor in his gorgeous wife, European flavor, and championship rings, and we have a player to sell to the fans and is easily marketable, in addition to being the elite point guard it takes to win a championship
Humdinger
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby silentjim » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:58 pm

The Cleveland Cavaliers Select:

1.24 Chauncey Billups

I was thinking about going young here, but I like leadership and clutch-ness that Chauncey can bring to a team. At 31, Chauncey is older, but still has a lot of good years in him (injuries have never really been a concern and his style of play and body style are conducive to health IMO).

Going big with a center or going small with a point guard seems to make the most sense early on if you can't land a Lebron or Kobe. I'm also hoping to land some younger studs in the second round so... :-D
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 601)

Postby Yilun » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:49 am

With the 25th pick, the Golden State Warriors select:

1.25 Pau Gasol, F/C

At 27 years of age, Pau is just about to enter his prime. He has shown that he can put up the numbers and I believe that with a good supporting cast (something that he's lacked thus far in his career), he can easily lead a franchise to success. It was definitely a tough choice for me nonetheless because there was a few younthful big men with good upside as well as a few veteran guards that I could have went with. However, I realized that at this stage late in the first round, instead of trying to go for the home-run pick, a GM might be wise to make more solid picks with the overall strategy to build a complete and sound team rather than a flashy one. I felt like Pau gave me the best opportunity and flexibility to build that team.
*rocking the new blamer sig*
Yilun
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 7)
Location: The confines of reality are too grand for my imaginative capacity

Postby deadshot11 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:06 am

With the 26th pick, the Los Angeles Clippers select...

1.26 Paul Pierce, G/F (6'6", 230 lb., 30 years old)

When thinking about building a winning team, I just couldn't pass up on Pierce. His stats speak for themselves. But he also brings so many intangibles. He's got a huge heart to win and uses his emotions well on the court. He only turns on his competitive edge even more when the game's on the line, as one of the league's best 4th quarter scorers. He gives the Clippers someone to put the ball in the hands of when the game's on the line. When you need a game-winning shot, or a crucial bucket, he can get it by creating his own shot, getting to the free throw line, hitting from outside, or creating for others. He's also had plenty of experience carrying a team on his back, and knows how to respond to defenses that double-team him. Plus, he's a leader who will push his teammates to give 110% every game, leading by example.

Paul Pierce just brings too much to the table to pass up, and the Clippers are thrilled to build our team around him. Even with all his experience in the league, he still has plenty of great years ahead of him. For a long time he's been a great player on poor teams, and we're confident that he'll continue to be even more effective of a player with better pieces around him (as he's started to prove this year already).
deadshot11
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 24)

Postby ed » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:24 am

With the 27th pick in the 2008 cafe reshuffle draft, the Detroit Pistons select...

1.27 Greg Oden 7', 257lbs, 19 yrs.

Greg Oden has the potential to be every bit as good as the top 5 players taken in the draft. He is the youngest player to be taken, and has plenty of time to mature. However, beginning next season he has the potential to be a force down low. He was touted as the next great big man in the NBA, but has quickly been forgotten as he spends his time getting stronger in the weight room. He was drafted ahead of Kevin Durant in real life, and may still be selected ahead of him if the draft was recast today.

To get him at #27 makes him the potential steal of the draft. His impending return from microfracture surgery also makes him the potential bust of the draft. I am willing to bet that at #27 I have selected a top flight big man, and will rule this league. Oden is my Frankenstein being built and molded by physicians and trainers into superhuman form while the rest of this draft unfolds. Watch out league, as the monster is unleashed with the strength and grit of the city of Detroit.
ed
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby nebgib5 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:37 am

The Boston Celtics select:

1.28 Josh Howard, G/F

Oft overlooked by the media, Howard has made a name for himself the past two seasons, and has begun to escape the shadow of Dirk Nowitzki. One of the top on-ball perimeter defenders in the league (ask the Pistons/Spurs if this is important in the playoffs), Howard also has a blossoming offensive game, and is well above the 20 point plateau this season, for the first time in his career. While Howard has yet to prove that he can carry a team offensively all by himself, at this point in the draft, there were no options remaining on the board that were more enticing. Howard's career scoring progression is incredibly promising: 8.6, 12.6, 15.6, 18.9, 21.1 (ppg, year by year). Despite this increased usage, his FG% his remained quite high, and his TO's are simply studly. A well-rounded all around player and survivor of great adversity (don't know if anybody else remembers the article about him in SI a few years back, but I certainly do), Josh Howard has what it takes to take the Celtics to the next level.

Marketing potential? Don't care. Fans showed up when the Celtics sucked, so I think they'll be more than happy to pay the price of admission when I put a 50 win team on the floor.
nebgib5
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby blamer » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:15 am

The Charlotte Bobcats selects:

1.29 Andre Iguodala

He is exactly what I look in the SG spot. Young, athletic and can balance being a scorer and a passer. He is already showing that he will one day become one of the best guards in the league. Eventhough being the only consistant scoring thread in his team, he is shooting a respective 44% from the field.And he no slack on the defensive end either. With his excellent athletism and huge wing span, he can become a defensive beast if he is motivated.
blamer
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Graphics Expert

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Reshuffle