Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Reshuffle

ROUND 2

Moderators: silentjim, RedHopeful, mbuser, jphanned

Re: ROUND 2

Postby koven » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:20 pm

with the 10th pick in the second round the Houston Rockets select:

2.10 David West PF

At 27, West is in his prime and undeniably evolving into an elite power forward. With the correct guidance, ie. Nash, David West is capable of not only being a defense threat, but also a key scorer on the offensive end. Under the wings of Chris Paul, West has dramatically raised the limits of his play. With a veteran by his side, ie. Nash, West will dominate and his game-play will become even more refined, allowing him to become one of the elite power forwards in the game.
13-man 10-team H2H.. 3rd
koven
College Captain
College Captain

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby mbuser » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:40 am

2.11 LaMarcus Aldridge (PF - 6'11, 240, 22 years old)

i guess i like what the blazers are doing, eh? already a very polished offensive player at age 22, his overall game will only continue to improve as he matures physically and mentally. another solid citizen and likeable player with very little downside... and we share the same birthday (july 19)
mbuser
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Nene » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:43 am

The Orlando Magic select,

2.12 Joe Johnson, GF

Joe Johnson has the handles to man the point and the scoring skill to play SG or SF. He'll fit nicely with Boozer running the pick and roll or just shaking the boots off his own man to get to the hole or fire up a 3. He's easily one of the more versatile players in the NBA and will be a valuable addition to the Orlando Magic.
Nene Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby tianyi86 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:24 am

The New York Knicks selects...

2.13 Tracy McGrady

Tmac's mental toughness is definitely questionable but he is still one of the most talented player in the nba. Standing at 6-8, he's one of the toughest to guard at the SG position. Although he doesn't have the smooth J like Michael Redd or another undrafted sharpshooter, Tmac makes it up with his penetration skills. I would have preferred someone that plays less of an iso offense but with Bynum still developing his skills, the Knicks need a 25 ppg scorer to win games and sell tickets, and Tmac fits the bill well.
tianyi86
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby geodbear » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:31 pm

(Draft is going faster than I expected (which is good)...Don't have much time to think about this one.)

Atlanta Hawks select...

2.14 Gerald Wallace PF

OK, so he's probably a 3, but he can play the 4 and gives the team a hard-working defender. I'd really like to see him as 6th man, but on basis of talent, athleticism, and age (25), he's drafted here.
Yes, Warriors sold at last!
geodbear

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 237)

Postby Rizzo » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:26 pm

With the 15th pick of the 2nd round, the Philadelphia 76ers select......

I think at this pick, Jason Kidd is extremely valuable. He's arguably the best point guard in the world right now and although a little old, still has a few good years left in the tank. Jason Kidd is not a premiere scoring threat, but that is not his job on this team. He will be looked at to get all of his teammates involved in the offense and provide some great defense from the point guard position.

The Philadelphia 76ers look at this as a great offensive acquisition. Confused? Don't be! I know that having Arenas run the point could lead to no offensive flow, but now with Jason Kidd having the rock in his hands at all time, Arenas won't be as big of a ball-stopper on the offensive end of the floor.

The 76ers thought about going with a scoring forward at this position, but with the glut of scorers sprinkled throughout the league, we feel as if passing up on a premiere talent at point guard would be a mistake. Without further adieu, let us introduce the point guard for YOUR Philadelphia 76ers... JASON KIDD!!!

<crowd goes bananas>
<bulbs flashing>
<champagne bottles pop as if we just won the championship!>

:-D
Rizzo
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby the one » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:07 pm

The Portland Traiblazers pick Al Horford

The third pick of this year's draft, there is now doubt this 21 year old player is destined for a solid career in the NBA and very possibly greater things. Oden and Durant are rare talents. If he was drafted the year before I would argue he would be drafted #1. Horford has the ability to develop into a big man that is good at both ends of the floor and that is very rare. He is already starting for the Hawks and holding his own defensively, getting good rebounds, and not a handicap on the offensive end. I think he will develop into a defensive force and be a pretty good offensive player as well. The word "beast" has already been used for him. Add to that he seems like a very good citizen who stayed with TJ Ford in the hospital after he was hurt inadvertantly by Horford. Gotta like that.

Big men with talent are hard to find and I would rather go for a big man with such upside than a guard with eqaul upside anyday. Yea many people would say an inside outside combo is the way to go. But two such big men will be a force for a decade. Can two dominant bigmen coexist? That is a good question. I hope so. I think that Jefferson is a natural at the low post and scoring. He is already one of the best in the league scoring 20 a night at 23 years of age. With that offensive piece, I hope to develop Horford into more of a defensive force which there is no doubt he is capable of. With Jefferson's offensive low post game and decent defending added to Horford's defensive prowess and decent offensive ability, I have a balanced and formidable frontcourt for the next decade. Virtually Howard but I had to do it with 2 people :-? . Hey not everyone can have the number 1 pick of the draft. Now for the backcourt.
the one
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Kingctb27 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:28 pm

With the 17th pick of the 2nd round, The Dallas Mavericks Select...

Shawn Marion, SF.

I'm sure people question how Marion would do w/o Nash or a Legit PG spoon feeding him on most possessions, and for those who don't think he would be a valuable asset to a team w/o Nash just go back and look at his stat lines when he was on the Suns before D'Antoni and Nash arrived.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3332/career;_ylt=Au0UZrgle.au4NgJp1Jeu96kvLYF

Marion and Brand will get along real well as veterans as both of them have about 3-4 more years of dominance in the NBA. The thing about both of these guys is that they are very hard workers on the defensive end of the floor, and that is where championships are won.
2006-2007 Overall H2H record: 561-369-15; The #'s don't lie.
Kingctb27
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sabonis » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:54 am

2.18 Devin Harris

Love this guy, I'm a Spurs fan and this guy reminds me of Tony Parker. Just about as quick as he is, gets to the hole as well as he does. In fact can shoot the 3 ball a little better and even takes care of the ball beter. His defense is very good as well. Only 24 years old with lots of potential to come.
sabonis
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby statsman88 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:45 am

2.19 Emeka Okafor

Having a combo of the young Okafor with the veteran Tim Duncan will give me a great 1-2 frontcourt punch that will remind fans of the Duncan/Robinson duo. Sure having two guys in the middle that are used to scoring the ball might create some problems with some players, but Okafor and Duncan are two of the most unselfish players in the NBA and both will do anything to win. Okafor is also a different style player on the offensive end, where he gets alot of put-backs and scores some in the low post. Tim Duncan scores alot out on the high post. And on the defensive side of the ball, they will dominate.

Okafor was player of the year in college and also led UConn to a national title. He is also a very smart young man (only 25) and like Duncan is a great guy for the community and a great role model.
statsman88
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Writer
Location: Counting down the days till Barkely gets fired via Imus

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Reshuffle