Pick #30: Raptors (ggs)

Picks should be made in this format:
1.01 Danny Ainge, SG

You have 12 hours to make each pick.

PM THE NEXT PERSON IN LINE.
nebgib5
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: ROUND 4

Postby blamer » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:16 am

It is my turn again I guess. So here it goes.

With the pick 4.02, Charlotte Bobcats selects Mike Dunleavy jr.

Mike Dunleavy Jr. might not be onw of the most talented guys on NBA and before this season, I would not consider him so early in the draft. But the way he has been playing this year, he is the type of guy I am looking for my team.

First of all, shooting the tree-ball on 41%, he will provide my team with much needed outside thread. He will keep my opponents from tightening inside the paint and being a good passer on the wing, he will help to keep my offense moving. All of my players up to now is pretty good distrubuters for their positions and hopefully my team will have a smooth offense, which everybody on the floor can get involved.

The major concern with him is surely his defense. Since he is not one of the faster or the stronger guys on his position, he won't be helping much on the defensive side of the ball. But the importing thing is, that he is trying. I know, trying might not mean anything when it comes to real production, but at least he won't be hurting the defensive composure of my team.
blamer
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Graphics Expert

Postby nebgib5 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:28 pm

4.03 Andrea Bargnani, SF

More to come later, maybe.
nebgib5
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby ed » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:56 pm

With the 4th pick in the 4th round of the cafe reshuffle draft, the Detroit Pistons select...

4.04 Marvin Williams, 6'9, 21yrs

With Oden playing down low, and nelson/martin as outside threats, we wanted a baseline player who could play facing the basket. He fits this role perfectly, and fits the core of young players with very high ceilings.

There was another player that was difficult to pass up, but ultimately spends too much time shooting threes and hanging around the perimeter to really fit our team needs.
ed
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby deadshot11 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:30 pm

With the 5th pick in the 4th Round, the Los Angeles Clippers select...

4.05 Yi Jianlian PF (6'11" 238 lb. 20 years old [or 23?])

Yi has the physical traits that any power forward would dream of. He has length, he has height, and he has a quickness that cannot be taught. He's got great hands and a knack to finish near and around the basket. Even at such a young age, his game has had many a chance to develop against pretty good competition in both the Chinese Basketball Association and in international play, giving him more experience than most American counterparts his age. And even as raw as his game has appeared thus far in the NBA, he is still very young and has a lot of room for adjustment. Jianlian has all the potential in the world, both in his physique and in his skill set. He's already proved himself in half a season that he can at least keep up with the big boys, which bodes well for his future in the NBA. He may not be the next Yao Ming, but he's going to be a very solid contributor in the NBA for many years to come, being solid with great potential on both ends of the floor.

In addition, Yi's agents are thrilled for him to come to Southern California, which has a substantial Asian population, which also will do wonders for ticket sales and promotional opportunities.

Yi at power forward gives the Clippers length and height on a solid team defense, lining him up with Tayshaun, Pierce, and Davis. It also gives the Clippers scoring threats and finishers all over the court, and a piece to build around in the future alongside the stable of veterans.
deadshot11
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 24)

Postby Yilun » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:01 pm

With the 6th pick of the 4th round, the Golden State Warriors select:

4.06 David Lee, PF

With this pick, Gasol will be cemented at the center spot and I will insert Lee into the starting 4 spot. He's a tough-nosed defender and a great rebounder and definitely deserves a starting spot on any team. He's definitely a hard working utility man that every team needs to help with the hustle plays and bring energy to the rest of the squad. I wasn't really overly-concnerned with his limited offense considering I already had Dre, Redd, and Gasol on my team. The pivotal 4th round was definitely a spot to start thinking about defense and rebounding and solidifying my front line. With David at the 4, I think it really anchors my bigs as I build a good combination of offense/defense, rebounding, size and toughness.

At 24 years old, there's still plenty of room for improvement for David. There's no reason to believe that he can't ultimately develop a short-mid range jumper and some quick low-post moves to compliment Gasol. Being the dominant big man that Gasol is, David's sure to get some open looks and room to operate on the offensive glass as well. The beauty of a PF like Lee is that he is someone your coach doesn't really have to run plays for and he will still find ways to be effective.
*rocking the new blamer sig*
Yilun
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 7)
Location: The confines of reality are too grand for my imaginative capacity

Postby silentjim » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:22 pm

The Cleveland Cavalier select:

4.07 Travis Outlaw - SF, PF

Young, athletic, and a total question mark. If David Lee had made it one more pick, this uneasy choice, would have been a no-brainer.

I like Outlaw for a couple of reasons. One, management in Portland has clearly shown they know how to evaluate young talent, and two giving Outlaw big money and turning down first round picks for him is sending a clear message. BIG TIME PLAYER.

One of the toughest parts of this draft will be evaluating players outside of their current situations as well and since Outlaw will play with a ton of great players in Portland, it will make it that much easier for people to look at my team and go, "Wow! Outlaw is really tearing it up, Jim's team would dominant if it were real!" The same thing however might not as easily be said if David Lee is constantly coming off the bench because of Thomas and his coaching style.

Pairing Billups and Jamison, established veteran leaders, with Gay and Outlaw, athletic freaks of nature, will make for fun games now, but a good future as well.

The centers that are out there are either old, or don't fit my team in anyway possible. The drop off isn't near as bad IMO, and I would rather gamble a little later on down the draft with a center than a wing player. A ton of teams now are extremely competitive without viable centers and they don't have the 4 other starters I've got going.

In conclusion: Yilun stinks for taking David Lee. :-D
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 564)

Postby Humdinger » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:01 pm

With the 8th pick in the 4th round, the Milwaukee Bucks select

Paul Millsap

He is a 22 year old rebounding machine. And with Tyson in the middle, we have one of the youngest, most dominant front lines in the league. Millsap has proven time and again he can perform at a very high level when given minutes, and that is what we plan to do here in Milwaukee. For his age, he has a very high bball IQ, and does all the little things that makes teams better. He plans solid D, and is no slouch on the offensive end. He can't really create his own shot, but he isn't a liability on the offensive end either.

Thus far, we are not the flashiest team in the league, and don't really have that much star power. But what we do have is a young, fundamentaly sound nucleus that shoots a very high percentage from the field. Later on in the draft, we may look to add an aging vet to get butts in seats, but right now, we are focused on winning, and building for many years of amazing play
Humdinger
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby fbc_fan » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:33 am

with the 9th pick in the 4th round the Seattle Supersonics select:

4.09, Jordan Farmar, PG

given only a handful more minutes a game in his second year in the league farmar has improved his production significantly. he has a fantastic jumpshot with 3pt range on it (40% this year), good court vision and knows how to play the passing lanes well on defense. his assist breakdown chart is surprisingly consistent this year with 3pt, jumper, and close range assists handed out being almost identical, indicating excellent awareness. he is what the sonics are looking for in a pg, a good young distributor with a 3pt shot. at only 21 years of age, he should continue to improve for years to come.
^^^thanks to Idahofan1 for the slick sig!
fbc_fan
College Captain
College Captain

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nebgib5 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:07 am

Rounders Block selects:

4.01 Ronnie Brewer, SG
nebgib5
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to FBC Reshuffle