ROUND 5 - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Reshuffle

ROUND 5

Moderators: silentjim, RedHopeful, mbuser, jphanned

Re: ROUND 5

Postby RobitusinZ » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:35 pm

5.11 - James Posey

6'8", 217 pounds, 31 years old with 9 NBA seasons under his belt.

If you look at the 05-06 Championship Miami Heat team, if you chose the word "depth" at any point in time to describe one of its characteristics, then the guy you were looking at was probably James Posey. Posey's a hustle player with a deceptive wing-span and a very hardcore defensive game. Without a doubt his loss is probably the biggest factor in the Heat's massive decline this year. Posey's the guy who can cover the opposing team's best man on defense, but still get the kick-out for the 3-ball. Posey's reliable...there's nothing to worry about when you have Posey on the court.

This makes the Heat's starting 5 AI, Childress, Posey, Bosh and Blatche. None of these guys are "pure" anything making this team incredibly versatile, and able to bring it both on offense and defense. There's no one guy who can dominate and lock down a game, but all 5 can come together and form a solid fist. Plus, I think team chemistry here should be great...AI's surrounded by capable teammates so he can be the AI we're seeing today as opposed to the chucker from yesteryear, Posey and Childress are backseat roleplayers who are always solid, and Bosh and Blatche seem like pretty happy guys.

Salary cap is another consideration, and my current 5 players only take in $41.2 million this year. With the cap somewhere in the 60s (someone give me a real number), that means I've still got room to play with regard to free agents and such.

The Heat's mission plan is to develop our young stars while remaining a play-off team by using a mix of solid veterans. We've set the foundation for a strong team game, and that's what we're committing to.
thanks for the sig, soty!

"It takes more than mathematical strategies to beat me." - Shaquille "The Big Aristotle" O'Neal
RobitusinZ
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby statsman88 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:56 pm

5.12 Al Thornton-F

I could have gone many different ways on this pick, but I decided to choose my 6th man-Al Thornton. Thornton gives me an athletic guy with tremendous upside and skill to give my team a lift off the bench. My team so far was lacking in athleticism and a bit of scoring-and Thornton gives me both of those. He is a very versatile athlete, he is a long 6-8 who can block shots and rebound, plus he can shoot from outside and score in many different ways. In his rookie season so far, when given the time, he has been very good. The other night in fact he ripped off 33 points and has had a few other 20 point games recently. I am glad to have Al Thornton on the Pacers and he will fit in nicely and be a great 6th man ;-D
statsman88
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Writer
Location: Counting down the days till Barkely gets fired via Imus

Postby sabonis » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:21 pm

Here comes an interesting pick for many of you :-D

5.13 - Jason Maxiell, PF/C

even if he is undersized, he hustles and he's very strong, so that he can play the center position. I love that he hustles him, with Charlie V, I needed a good help defender and I get it with him. He's only 25. I'm pretty sure many of you guys won't like it but I love him.
sabonis
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Kingctb27 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:05 am

Dallas Mavericks select Diop, DeSagana.

He won't be going very far. :-D
2006-2007 Overall H2H record: 561-369-15; The #'s don't lie.
Kingctb27
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby the one » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:23 pm

Portland selects Josh Boone PF/C

Boone is someone who plays good defense, rebounds well, and does the dirty things that need to get done. He doesn't have much of an offensive game but he is steadily improving in that area and should develop into a decent scorer in a few years. My only fear is that he won't improve his aweful FT% and people will employ the hack a Boone on him like the GSW did a few weeks ago. Then again if they really want to waste all those fouls, so be it. At 23 he will only get better and can age with my young team.

I need an sg but I feel that one of the half dozen that could fit my needs will be around next round for me. Boone can play the PF and C positions and can sit both Jefferson and Horford giving him a solid 25 minutes a game off the bench. Not to mention filling in nicely if there is an injury. Jefferson/Horford/Boone won't allow any frontcourt to have a break during the game. I feel there is a lot of untapped talent out there in the guard positions and wings but not at the 4 or 5. How many big guys are out on the court because...well...they are big? I don't want some untalented big out on the court for those minutes. I prefer to gamble on the wealth of talented guards in the NBA that will be around in later rounds while the same can't be said about centers or power forwards.
the one
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Rizzo » Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:08 am

Philadelphia selects Luke Walton.
Rizzo
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby geodbear » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:22 am

The Atlanta Hawks select Brad Miller, C.
Yes, Warriors sold at last!
geodbear

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 220)

Postby tianyi86 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:29 am

New York Knicks selects

Boris Diaw (5.18)

The Knicks rounds off the starting 5 with Boris Diaw, a versatile player that can play any position from the Sf to C. After his breakout 2005 campaign, Diaw has faded into the background. However, he is only 26 and one of the better passing "big man" in the game. Of course, Terry will be our main point guard and ball handler, but adding Diaw allows Terry more freedom on offense and to play a shooting point guard as Diaw can distribute the ball on the high post.
tianyi86
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Nene » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:07 pm

With the 19th pick of the 5th round, the Orlando Magic select:

KELENNA AZUBUIKE.

We feel that Kelenna Azubuike is a young talent that will prosper for years to come. With a strong upper body, he consistently takes it to the hole and is able to take a hit. We believe Azubuike will develop to be a great starting SG, along side PG Joe Johnson in the backcourt. Couple these two with a front line of Turkoglu, Boozer, and Noah, and we have a strong starting 5, with three vets and two up-and-comers.
Nene Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Aftermath » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:13 pm

Well its been over 12 hours, got to keep the show on the road.

During the Steve Nash era in Phoenix, I always think it is funny when people state our main weakness is our defense and our rebounding. The truth is we are the worst basketball team in the league when Steve is not on the court. Anyone remember the Suns 29 win team the year before Steve came? We had a core group of Amare, JJ, Marion, and Barbosa. Yeah that's right. 29 wins with a team full of talent. When Nash is out (Amare is too), we have nobody that can lead the team sucessfully. If Nash was a robot, that could play all 48, we would have already had a championship. But since he isn't a robot, I think it is important to ease the pain when Nash is out with a solid veteran who can not only maintain leads, but build on them.

So with the 20th pick in the 5th round the Houston Rockets select:

Derek Fisher

I think he is the perfect fit. He is a winner, he's clutch, he is an amazing team guy, a facilitator, a creator, a scorer, a good defender, an energy guy, a last at practice guy, and he is getting better with age. Not worried when Nash is off the court now.
Aftermath
Playground Pundit
Playground Pundit

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Reshuffle