Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Reshuffle

ROUND 5

Moderators: silentjim, RedHopeful, mbuser, jphanned

Re: ROUND 5

Postby fbc_fan » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:54 am

with the 22nd pick in the 5th round, the Seattle Supersonics select:

5.22, Darko Milicic, C

to be honest, i'm not too thrilled i left my center position empty for this long, and i'm not really crazy about the centers that are left. that being said, my list of requirements for a center is relatively minimal at this point, considering i have all the fundamentals covered. defense is above average, i have a trifecta of scorers and a pg that can score or facilitate, and the team is relatively young. so all i'm really looking for is a big guy who can run the floor decently and is good on defense. darko fits that bill pretty well. he can run the floor and his points against +/- indicates he's at least an above average defender if not a good one.

i'm basically looking at this as an upside pick. i think we'll see in the next month or so how this pick turns out since hes going to be given 35-40 minutes of burn in memphis now that gasol is gone. that's what i'd let him have on this team. plus he's still only 23, he's got that working for him....
^^^thanks to Idahofan1 for the slick sig!
fbc_fan
College Captain
College Captain

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Humdinger » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:08 am

Ok, I really have no idea where I want to go with this pick, but given this part of the draft, i figure it might be wise to grab a good defender and a player with potential to light it up, but can also make things happen off the bench. He may have been around in a few picks, or may not go until much later on. But either way, Im taking him now

With that said, the Milwaukee Bucks are pleased to select Thabo Sefolosha with their 5th round pick. The 6'5 guard has an outstanding basketball IQ and is fundamentally sound. He brings his European flair to the Bucks, and should compliment Tony Parker in the back court quite well. He is still only 23 years young, so he has plenty of time to develop and become a star, even though he has been in the league for a few years already. He also gives us versatility being able to play the 2 or 3, and is a solid defender. We plan on starting him this season, but if he struggles, he will be an excellent player off the bench.
Humdinger
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby silentjim » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:15 pm

The Cleveland Cavaliers select one of their own:

5.24 Daniel Gibson - SG

Gibson is young, quick, and pure offense. He will compliment Billups superbly and allows Outlaw to slide to the bench and allows Gay and Jamison to play the two starting forward positions in tandem. With more offense on the floor Jamison should shoot a better percentage and have the ability to rebound and play better defense.

Center pickins have gotten incredibly thin now, and with Darko and Brad Miller being gone, I'm taking a build a best team without sacrificing value sort of strategy. I really thought one of those two would make it back, but of course that would be too easy.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 565)

Postby The Magic Mon » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:17 pm

With the 6th pick, the Sacramento Kings select:

05.06 - Jeff Green, F

Playing in his first year, Jeff has made great strides in learning to become a more consistent player. This pick was made to surround our coveted Center with great players who can space the floor and allow him to pass out of the double team.

We believe that Jeff provides us with great defense, though undersized, for the power forward position. However, he more than makes up for this deficiency with his quickness, athleticism and basketball intelligence. We are very happy with this decision, and welcome our newest addition to the club. :-D ;-D
"If it ain't broke, don't break it." - Charles Oakley
The Magic Mon
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Yilun » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:49 pm

With the 25th pick of the 5th round, the Golden State Warriors select:

5.25 Jamario Moon

Having a nice, young, athletic forward with great leaping ability and boundless potential rounds out my starting 5. I have padded my starting lineup with a great mixture of floor leadership, inside presence, outside shooting, and athleticism. I believe that having a young talent with good upside and potential is essential to building a team that is not only going to be competitive now but for years to come as well. I can see Moon developing into a great all-around forward that can help teams in multiple facets of the game.
*rocking the new blamer sig*
Yilun
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 7)
Location: The confines of reality are too grand for my imaginative capacity

Postby deadshot11 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:43 pm

The Los Angeles Clippers select...
5.26 Drew Gooden PF (6'10" 250lb. 26 years old)

Gooden is young for being an experienced veteran. He brings a strong rebounding ability on both the offensive and defensive ends of the floor. Drew's a great offensive rebounder. He also has a versatile offensive game that has been underutilitized most of his career. He's shown that when called upon, he can easily score more than 20 points with his inside and outside scoring touch. The biggest knock on him has been his mental lapses, especially on the defensive end, I believe that is largely due to his Cleveland coaches coming down too hard on him, as well as his lack of involvement on offense, which many know can lead to big men becoming complacent, which I believe is the case here.

Gooden can be a very solid piece coming first off the bench to bring an offensive threat and big rebounding attitude to the Clippers team. He could actually start ahead of Yi, depending on how Yi starts out next season. Both Drew and Yi give us a good inside scoring presence to compliment Davis and Pierce's game from the outside. And both could be used together in spurts when playing small, as their games would compliment each other fine down low.

I considered filling out my starting 5 at this point, but believe that one of the C's I would have drafted here will still be available for the beginning of next round. I've actually been making many "value" picks so far in the draft, much like in roto, taking people who I think bring a lot for where they're getting picked. I'm surprised Gooden was still around because of the ability he's shown along with his still young age of 26.
deadshot11
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 24)

Postby nebgib5 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:23 pm

The Boston Celtics select:

5.28 Antonio McDyess, PF

The consummate professional, McDyess will fill a great void at PF, while simultaneously providing veteran leadership to a young nucleus, and aiding in the development of Sean Williams, both on and off the court.
nebgib5
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby ggs » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:07 pm

blamer wrote:
I really thought my turn would come by this time but it hasn't and I will be away for about 12 hours. So here is my list of players I would like to take with my upcoming pick.

With the 29th pick in the 5th round, the Charlotte Bobcats select...

5.29 Ronny Turiaf, PF

The Bobcats grab an athletic power forward who is a good post defender and a great energy-player. Whether starting or coming off the bench, Ronny will provide a solid 30 minutes of hustle, grit, and toughness each night. An above-average finisher around the basket, he has good hands and a soft touch. He joins a roster consisting of Rondo, Iguodala, Dunleavy, and Kaman.
ggs
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 133)

Postby mbuser » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:48 am

5.20 utah jazz select joel przybilla (7-1, 255, 28 years old)

fits the mold of what the team needs at this point. he can body up with the biggest of the bigs in the league, and just boards and block shots when he's on the court. doesn't blow you away, but he's steady when he plays
mbuser
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 3)

Postby DVauthrin » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:47 am

With the 27th pick in the 5th round, the detroit pistons select PF/C Luis Scola, from Argentina. Luis is a hard working big man, with a knack for rebounding and has a nice well rounded offensive game. We feel he can play a high low game with oden quite nicely.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 87)
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Reshuffle