Retiring from fantasy basketball - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leftovers

Retiring from fantasy basketball

Moderator: Basketball Moderators

Postby Dutch » Fri May 23, 2008 3:17 pm

How about that I am quitting this awesome that brought me a lot of fun and entertainment and lots of good times online talking to friends over MSN, AIM and YIM. Why quit? Simple less and less time to devote to this and realizing that there are a lot of different things in life I also enjoy which I hope to experience as well.

I did not want to leave the game however going in to shear anonymity. So I decided to tell you guys a little about my history regarding fantasy basketball….

It all started in the year 2000. I started my working career with KPMG, just moved within the Netherlands and for the first time had my own Apartment (rental). I was working at the office and had some time on my hands to browse the internet. Somehow I bumped into yahoo fantasy basketball and got intrigued by it.

The years before I had been playing fantasy soccer with way less categories and had enjoyed that quite a bit, but was definitely up for a new challenge. Basketball? Hmm what did I know about basketball I asked myself, how many players I could actually name? If it was ten players at that time it was a lot. I played some ball in the early nineties, but after that did not follow it at all.

But heck I decided to go for it and signed up for a public league roto league auto draft. I had third pick and got myself Shaq. What a pleasant surprise. Somehow I managed to turn my team in to a contender and actually won the league. So I wanted more. Winners league called next year! One team was not enough however so I added a second team. This year was good to learn and I managed to clinch a nice 2nd and 6th spot.

So it progressed the year after more public leagues and one private league. I won all three public leagues, but my private league was a mess. The commish was a cheat and I failed to beat the guy in the finals. That learned me the valuable lesson that private leagues are not safe to enter unless you know who are in it. 2002 was also the year I discovered the Fantasyref. At first I asked a lot of questions, which is very good to learn the game and I picked it up from there.

The Fantasyref was a great place and over the years I have kept in touch online with a lot of guys from that place. The day the ref no longer existed was a sad day. Fantasyref became fantasybasketball.com but most regulars transferred over to Fantasykings

Good competition and good discussions made it a good place to be. Off course the leagues kept rolling. At some point I decided I wanted to post at other forums as well so I started posting somewhat at RealGM, Rotokingdom, the Cafe and the Lounge.

It was four years ago I started up the Battle of sports forums. At first it was quite tough to get the competition going so we started off with a league with RealGM, Fantasykings, Rotokingdom and two sites that at the time only had a website with articles. Fantasykings entered with 4 guys to get the league going. It was a nice year but it could definitely be improved and it did!
The last two years we played with RealGM, Rotokingdom, the Cafe and the Lounge, Fantasykings and Fanball. I have to say that I very happy with my performance in these league going up against the best of the best I have been able to clinch a second place (losing by one block, still hurts), a win and a third place.

This is a league that should go on in my opinion and I will try to find someone to keep this going.

In my time I have been a moderator at Fantaskings and RealGM which I have enjoyed doing. To everything comes and end however. So long and good luck to everyone next year.

Just some nice stats to end this:
Leagues won; 29,1%
Finished top three 56,4%

H2H
Leagues won; 27%
Finished top three; 59,5%

Roto:
Leagues won; 35,3%
Finished top three; 52,9
Third place Octagon 07-08
Third place Battle of the Sports Forums 07-08
Winner of the Battle of the Sports Forums 06-07
Runner up Fantasykings vs Rotokingdom 06-07
Runner up of Battle of the Sports Forums 05-06
Dutch
College Captain
College Captain

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Retiring from fantasy basketball

Postby RedHopeful » Fri May 23, 2008 3:46 pm

Taking a year off will make you realize you walked away too soon in your young career (even if the lure of Amsterdam is nearby.) ;-) Plenty have come out of early retirement to give it a second go - Jordan, Mourning and Pippen. ;-D
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 641)

Postby silentjim » Fri May 23, 2008 4:30 pm

I must admit that I've contemplated stepping away a few times, but most of the time its an over reaction to something or me not thinking about a situation 100%. Mostly I've decided that moderation is the key. The times I got frustrated or felt it was consuming too much of life, was when I was in way too many leagues years back. Now that I try to focus on a couple of competitive leagues I feel much better, less stressed, and no one in my family wants to kill me.

I'm not trying to talk you out of your decision, I'm just hoping like Red, that perhaps its a temporary leave of absence as opposed to permanent.

Good luck in everything! ;-D
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 599)

Postby nebgib5 » Fri May 23, 2008 5:26 pm

Sorenstam, Henin and now Dutch? What is happening? :-b

Good read, never had the opportunity to play against you personally, but I know you will be missed by the fantasy basketball community.
nebgib5
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby jphanned » Fri May 23, 2008 9:33 pm

Sent you a PM already but again, I hope everything works out for you. It was a lot of fun competing against you in the BOSF. You are an excellent manager and your contribution to the fantasy hoops community will be missed. Best of luck in the future buddy. ;-D
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Postby jaytizy » Fri May 23, 2008 10:47 pm

:,-( Best of luck D, was a pleasure competing against you.
a goal without a plan is a wish
jaytizy
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby geodbear » Sat May 24, 2008 3:31 am

You can always unretire. Competing against you in your retirement year made winning Octagon just a bit easier. Best of luck in all things non-fantasy-basketball.
Yes, Warriors sold at last!
geodbear

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 237)

Postby Dutch » Sun May 25, 2008 7:44 pm

silentjim wrote:I must admit that I've contemplated stepping away a few times, but most of the time its an over reaction to something or me not thinking about a situation 100%. Mostly I've decided that moderation is the key. The times I got frustrated or felt it was consuming too much of life, was when I was in way too many leagues years back. Now that I try to focus on a couple of competitive leagues I feel much better, less stressed, and no one in my family wants to kill me.

I'm not trying to talk you out of your decision, I'm just hoping like Red, that perhaps its a temporary leave of absence as opposed to permanent.

Good luck in everything! ;-D

That is the main thing. If I want to do this right I do need to follow everything very well. There is no basketball coverage what so ever over here and I do not like missing out the promising and upcoming players who can make difference between win and lose. I have noticed that the lack of time to follow the league has kept me back in leagues. Hate that...
Dutch
College Captain
College Captain

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby RedHopeful » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:56 pm

Got the itch yet? }:-) :-)
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 641)

Postby Mr.Blonde » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:26 pm

I hung 'em up for '07-08, but I decided to come back this year, albeit at a much lower level of competition/intensity than in years past.
Mr.Blonde
Driveway Dunker
Driveway Dunker

Next

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leftovers