Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leftovers

Who does G-State Draft?

Moderator: Basketball Moderators

Re: Who does G-State Draft?

Postby jwhands » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:53 pm

RedHopeful wrote:
Rounders Block wrote:
jwhands wrote:Alexander's stock is rising, but for who? What team will take him in the top 13? The only option that I can see is if one of those teams trades down, and then someone snags Alexander.

The Milwaukee Bucks and New Jersey Nets are who. If he falls to 13 I don't see any way the Blazers pass on him.

I completely agree with all of this as well as the fact that Randolph projects better as a PF. Jwhands, Alexander's stock has SIGNIFICANTLY risen over the last several weeks. The teams RB listed, it has been reported that these teams are really interested in him. I'm pretty sure Chris Ford (over at ESPN), Nba draftnet and Draft express now think the Bucks will grab him with the #8 pick.

Fact is, the Bucks are in a dire need of a SF. They've already got Yi and Charlie V at PF. Alexander fits into their plans more than Randolph. Moreover, I've read Skiles is taking a liking to the kid for his work ethic and character. The biggest problem with Randolph is kind of what you've already stated. He would be a project because he is FAR from a finished product. Although he shows vast potential, consider that it would take a ton of work. There have been a number of these potential kids end up no where...

That is strange, because I have received some inside information that some teams aren't too high on Alexander. It's very possible that the Bucks do take Alexander, but I would lean more to Randolph. Charlie V isn't your answer, and Yi most likely will be out in a couple of years. Both players can move to the 3 when Randolph does go onto the floor. One other question I'd have is where Alexander is quick enough to play defense at small forward?
Check out our summer league recap at http://www.stinkytee.com
jwhands
Playground Pundit
Playground Pundit

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jphanned » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:58 pm

Do those "some teams" include Milwaukee, New Jersey, or Portland? :-?

The Bucks have a bigger need at SF than PF.
SF: Bobby Simmons / Desmond Mason
PF: Charlie Villanueva / Yi Jianlian / Michael Ruffin

Why would they want to draft Anthony Randolph and have another Charlie Villanueva mold on their hands? And you're suggesting Villanueva and Yi slide over to SF? :-o Why would they even bother when there are 2 SF's (Alexander, Gallinari) at the top of their draft board?

Defensively, Alexander has nice tools, including great size and length, and seems to put in a pretty solid effort, but there will be some major question marks about his ability to guard NBA small forwards at the next level. He has a high center of gravity that makes it tough for him to get in a low defensive stance, and struggles staying in front of quicker wing players already, showing average lateral quickness and footwork in the process, and getting beat off the dribble on a regular basis. He’s a little too stiff and upright in his stance, which does not allow him to contest quite as many shots as you’d hope within West Virginia’s zone. To his credit, he does play at the very top of this zone, often matched up against smaller guards, which probably makes him look a bit worse than he actually is here, but there will be big concerns regardless. His very nice timing, combined with the quickness in which he gets off his feet, makes him a decent shot-blocking threat, at 1.5 per game.

There are some questions about his lateral quickness on the perimeter but that is just because he's making the transition to playing SF full time. Why bring up defense at all when Randolph just gets destroyed in the post by other big men? He only measured in at 197 at the predraft camp which is ridiculously weak for a PF.

plonden wrote:
Rounders Block wrote:I've got a full draft guide coming out sometime tomorrow (whenever the content manager gets a hold of it), so look out for it. ;-D

What site is it for?

Just got the word from the content manager -- it will be up tomorrow at fantasybasketball.com ;-D
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 402)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby jwhands » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:17 am

Rounders Block wrote:Do those "some teams" include Milwaukee, New Jersey, or Portland? :-?

The Bucks have a bigger need at SF than PF.
SF: Bobby Simmons / Desmond Mason
PF: Charlie Villanueva / Yi Jianlian / Michael Ruffin

Why would they want to draft Anthony Randolph and have another Charlie Villanueva mold on their hands? And you're suggesting Villanueva and Yi slide over to SF? :-o Why would they even bother when there are 2 SF's (Alexander, Gallinari) at the top of their draft board?

Defensively, Alexander has nice tools, including great size and length, and seems to put in a pretty solid effort, but there will be some major question marks about his ability to guard NBA small forwards at the next level. He has a high center of gravity that makes it tough for him to get in a low defensive stance, and struggles staying in front of quicker wing players already, showing average lateral quickness and footwork in the process, and getting beat off the dribble on a regular basis. He’s a little too stiff and upright in his stance, which does not allow him to contest quite as many shots as you’d hope within West Virginia’s zone. To his credit, he does play at the very top of this zone, often matched up against smaller guards, which probably makes him look a bit worse than he actually is here, but there will be big concerns regardless. His very nice timing, combined with the quickness in which he gets off his feet, makes him a decent shot-blocking threat, at 1.5 per game.

There are some questions about his lateral quickness on the perimeter but that is just because he's making the transition to playing SF full time. Why bring up defense at all when Randolph just gets destroyed in the post by other big men? He only measured in at 197 at the predraft camp which is ridiculously weak for a PF.

plonden wrote:
Rounders Block wrote:I've got a full draft guide coming out sometime tomorrow (whenever the content manager gets a hold of it), so look out for it. ;-D

What site is it for?

Just got the word from the content manager -- it will be up tomorrow at fantasybasketball.com ;-D

Actually, Portland isn't too high on Alexander. I did say earlier that Milwaukee may take him with their pick, but I see Randolph being the more projectable prospect. Milwaukee can move either Yi or Charlie to the 3, since they can work the perimeter (especially Yi). Also, keep in mind that Milwaukee may work out some draft day deals. Randolph is a project, but most 2nd year bigs coming out of college aren't going to enter the league in full force.
jwhands
Playground Pundit
Playground Pundit

Postby jwhands » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:50 am

Interesting read from the Milwaukee newspaper. You just have to feel for the Bucks sometimes. They may never be able to compete with the big markets.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=764693
jwhands
Playground Pundit
Playground Pundit

Postby RedHopeful » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:19 pm

jwhands wrote:Actually, Portland isn't too high on Alexander. I did say earlier that Milwaukee may take him with their pick, but I see Randolph being the more projectable prospect. Milwaukee can move either Yi or Charlie to the 3, since they can work the perimeter (especially Yi). Also, keep in mind that Milwaukee may work out some draft day deals. Randolph is a project, but most 2nd year bigs coming out of college aren't going to enter the league in full force.

I'm curious where you heard this. From what I understand, Portland liked his attitude and it is well known Pritchard likes to normally take the best player available. Considering Joe has showed an amazing amount of potential to go along with that excellent character, I think Portland would be pretty high on him. Only drawback I see is the fact that they've got plenty of SF. It'll be interesting to see whether Portland deals one of them soon or perhaps even their 13th pick.

I still wonder why you think the Bucks would move Yi or Charlie to the 3. I think they tried it last season with no success. Sure the guys have range, but you realize they'd also have to guard the team's opposing 3? I just don't see it. There isn't a single SF they could stay with.
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 683)

Postby baller crimson » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:25 pm

To back up the fact that Portland likes and could take Alexander, I found this on Draft Express:

While it’s been widely speculated the Portland Trail Blazers are interested in moving their pick, they may keep it if one of the top two players on their board can be had at No. 13. We’ve heard numerous reports of trade talk between the Blazers and many other teams drafting below them, but now it seems likely they’ll stand pat if they can somehow manage to get a hold of Joe Alexander. Alexander worked out in Portland on Tuesday (with Donte Greene and Batum) in front of the watchful eyes of Blazers owner Paul Allen, and apparently left quite an impression.
baller crimson
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby jwhands » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:22 pm

We will see what happens on Thursday, but Portland is not interested in Alexander. I do not believe the report that Draft Express posted though.
jwhands
Playground Pundit
Playground Pundit

Previous

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leftovers