Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Bonanza Keeper

Year 5 Info Here

Moderators: silentjim, RedHopeful

Re: 2008-2009 Draft Commentary

Postby geodbear » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:09 am

just to keep this going...

geodbear's Bonanza League Power Rankings

1. bokzg – he gets the top spot on the strength of his keepers to go with his first place regular season finish last year. His five keepers arguably rank in the top 30. Should be the top scoring team this season.

2. bleedtoblack – he finished second in the regular season last year, and with bokzg’s team, dominated the regular season. Unfortunately, the playoffs derailed both teams in the semifinals. btb’s team has two of the top four fantasy players in Chris Paul and Kobe Bryant.

3. yilun – this team is made for h2h play as it clearly dominates 3 categories – rebounds, blocks, and field goal percentage – while tanking 2 categories – turnovers and free throw percentage. He has two other categories of strength in points and assists, but is very weak in threes and steals. While he is likely not to win the regular season, his team can win the championship as there are only a few teams that he does not match up well against.

4. silentjim – really strong set of keepers with“big ball” strength (rebounds, blocks, and field goal percentage), while maintaining a very good free throw percentage and dominant in assists. Yao Ming is the big question mark that will determine whether sj’s team is just a contender or a champion.

5. geodbear – as defending champion and fouth place in the regular season, I might have ranked my team higher if it wasn’t for the injury to Monta Ellis. Tradng Lebron for Amare and Ellis, the idea was to shift from a small ball team to a six-category team emphasizing the “big ball” categories while putting up points, threes, and steals. If Ellis can come back to full strength by mid-season, then I have a chance in the playoffs.

6. ggs – should see an improvement over last year’s team with a healthy Greg Oden and Kevin Durant improving upon his ROY season. A team built for h2h with strengths in the “small ball” categories – threes, assists, steals, and free throw percentage. One of the teams that matches well against yilun’s.

7. redhopeful – taking over the 2nd place team (3rd place regular season) from jaytizy, red has a strong group of keepers, and strength in points, blocks, and steals, but his may be too balanced overall for success in h2h play.

8. the thrill – a team built to win the efficiency categories – turnovers and percentages – and tank assists. His team is also strong in rebounds and threes, but extremely weak in the remaining categories.

9. plonden – his team has quality but aging keepers with the potential to make the playoffs. Ginobili’s injury and status could hurt along with the usual questions about Artest. plonden’s team may be too balanced for h2h play.

10. nene – with the exception of Chris Bosh, nene’s team lacks the top end keepers. His team could win threes every week.

11. baller crimson – good set of keepers, a lot depends on the health of Gilbert Areans. Team should do well in free throw percentage each week. Outside of free throws, the same criticism that I had for red and plonden’s teams may also apply – too balanced for h2h play.

12. fenris – acknowledged that he had the weakest set of keepers, his goal is to trade assests for youth to build a competitive team for next season.
Yes, Warriors sold at last!
geodbear

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 219)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby The Thrill » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:52 pm

nice write-up, geodbear! ;-D
The Thrill
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 252)

Postby silentjim » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:18 pm

The Thrill wrote:nice write-up, geodbear! ;-D

Seconded! ;-D
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 564)

Postby RedHopeful » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:17 pm

Pretty good write-up Geodbear, thanks for taking the time! ;-D

geodbear wrote:7. redhopeful – taking over the 2nd place team (3rd place regular season) from jaytizy, red has a strong group of keepers, and strength in points, blocks, and steals, but his may be too balanced overall for success in h2h play.

I agree to a degree with not being too rounded in H2H, but I've learned a thing or two over the years. First, you really don't want to limit your team to say only 5/6 categories because you never know what the upcoming season will have in store: injuries/slumps/etc. Almost all players have their good/bad weeks, so anything can really happen in a weekly given matchup. Second, in a league full of knowledgable players, it's actually best to be a little more rounded. For instance, it's pretty easy to beat a team's 2-3 weak categories and if you can pull off your strengths, you'll be fine. Third, it's a long season and with early season drafts, you aren't sure how much the 2nd half of your roster will pan out. Through the course of the year, a team will make use of FA, analyze the competition and make the appropriate trades to set the best possible winning game plan for the playoffs.
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 601)

Trade: plonden and Yilun

Postby plonden » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:49 pm

plonden gives:
Ron Artest
Richard Hamilton

Yilun gives:
Michael Redd
Tyson Chandler
plonden
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 51)

Re: Trade: plonden and Yilun

Postby Yilun » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:54 pm

Confirmed. ;-D

I'm sad I'm giving up 2 keepers for 1 but this trade works out very well for both teams. Plonden desparately needs a center and Artest gives my team alot more of what I need vs Redd.

If this trade goes through, here's hoping that Artest stays on his 'medication' for the year :-o
*rocking the new blamer sig*
Yilun
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 7)
Location: The confines of reality are too grand for my imaginative capacity

Postby silentjim » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:11 am

I'll approve this.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 564)

Postby ggs » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:34 pm

approved.
ggs
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 133)

Postby geodbear » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:50 pm

;-D
Yes, Warriors sold at last!
geodbear

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 219)

Postby RedHopeful » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:53 pm

Approved as well. ;-D

Yilun, just gotta ask, did you take Artest thinking it'd help your flow? :-D
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 601)

PreviousNext

Return to Bonanza Keeper