Return to 2009 Mock Draft

Draft Commentary

Moderator: jphanned

Draft Commentary

Postby jphanned » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:52 am

The draft will begin on July 29. Excited to get this thing started. ;-D
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 333)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Draft Commentary

Postby plonden » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:57 pm

Man, eighth overall is a tough spot to draw. I am not sure who I am going to pick there... Good luck, gentlemen. I'm looking forward to it.
plonden
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 51)

Postby jphanned » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:17 pm

Just a refresher for the returners and a note to the new guys -- because this mock draft is used primarily as a learning tool (for both the guys drafting and the viewers), the mentioning of undrafted players is perfectly fine. Feel free to talk about who else you were considering at your spot, how Player A will affect Player B's value, or anything else along those lines.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jphanned » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:19 pm

plonden wrote:Man, eighth overall is a tough spot to draw. I am not sure who I am going to pick there

Was in the same situation in the Y! mock and ended up going with your boy Amar'e there.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

Postby plonden » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:41 pm

^ Definitely a tough spot to draft at this year.

I am hoping that Dirk falls to me at 8 but that is probably a pipe dream. Probably be stuck with Amar'e but I am not exactly stoked about it. I am still very wary of his eye situation. Not a lot of people understood the true severity of it but with the info I have now, I probably will end up taking him if he is still available (somewhat positive news lately). I just wouldn't feel great about it if this were a real draft. The good news for taking Amar'e is that it is a contract year ($). That is always a good motivator.
plonden
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby KalElen » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:54 pm

plonden wrote:Man, eighth overall is a tough spot to draw. I am not sure who I am going to pick there... Good luck, gentlemen. I'm looking forward to it.

i think that 8th is the worst spot this year. al-jeff and amare are 2 best choices for 8 and 9 numbers wise, but both are coming off major surgeries. i'd prefer to be picking after they are both gone, even if it means going 12th
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby plonden » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:10 pm

KalElen wrote:
plonden wrote:Man, eighth overall is a tough spot to draw. I am not sure who I am going to pick there... Good luck, gentlemen. I'm looking forward to it.

i think that 8th is the worst spot this year. al-jeff and amare are 2 best choices for 8 and 9 numbers wise, but both are coming off major surgeries. i'd prefer to be picking after they are both gone, even if it means going 12th

I definitely agree -- taking a guy after ACL surgery can be risky (see Elton Brand) otherwise I would take AlJeff at 8 with no hesitation. At least at 12 you can pull two borderline studs in a row...
plonden
Mod in Retirement

Postby Fenris-77 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:22 pm

Well, if we're talking about Paul, LeBron, Wade, Durant, Granger, Kobe, and Dirk going top 7, then yeah, picking at 8 kinda sucks. I think Al Jeff is the guy to go with though. Between Amare's eye and the complete cluster of a roster happening in Phoenix I don't think I'd hesitate. The only other guy I can see even being close to in the mix there is Deron, but he looks to be a distant third.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 260)

Postby plonden » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:49 pm

Unless one of the other guys slips, I will undoubtedly be deciding between Amar'e and Al Jeff at 8. Not exactly an easy decision to make.
plonden
Mod in Retirement

Postby KalElen » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:59 pm

i'm definitely against taking risks with high picks so i won't be looking at either of those guys with #9
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Next

Return to 2009 Mock Draft