2007-2013 Archived Posts - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Octagon

2007-2013 Archived Posts

Moderators: jphanned, samo

Re: 2009-2010 Offseason Discussion

Postby jphanned » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:35 am

The majority has spoken -- we're going to reverse the draft order in case of a dual Champions league format. I will amend the rules to reflect this change. ;-D

Next topic of discussion, which any of our managers (not just the Champions League guys) can chime in on...

Somewhere in the original formation of the rules, one of the guys in our league who was big on math (I forget who) said it would be a better idea to go % away from the median value than % away from the mean value.

To clarify on the way that tiebreakers are currently calculated now, here's a step-by-step refresher:
1) calculate the median standings value in a H2H or ROTO league (First Division H2H was .4976, First Division ROTO was 51)
2) subtract manager's overall H2H win % or ROTO point total from median standings value
3) divide the difference by the median standings value

I want to open up discussion about the process again regarding two things:
- Should we use the league's mean or median standings value as a basis of evaluation?
- Do we want to calculate the % value away from the median/mean value or calculate the number of standard deviations away from that value?

Discuss away. This one may be for the mathematically-minded managers though. :-b
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 400)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby thelimey » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:07 pm

Looks like I made a sloppy mistake in my original post, I should have said median instead of mean :-B The median is indeed the netter method with skewed data (eg inactive owners). My suggestion was meant about whether the no of standard deviations from the median was more interesting than the absolute %, sorry for the confusion.
thelimey
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 48)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby sabonis » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:46 pm

I'm sorry I don't know the rules, I finished 7th in the first division H2H, will I be replaced or continue next year?
sabonis
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby samo » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:54 pm

sabonis wrote:I'm sorry I don't know the rules, I finished 7th in the first division H2H, will I be replaced or continue next year?

4.2 The bottom 9 finishers of each First Division league remain in the same league they were in the previous year.

4.3 The Executive Committee reserves right after any season to withhold an invitation for the following year to any manager who is either (i) consistently verbally abusive (standard trash talk is fine), (ii) found to have cheated; or (iii) finishes in the Bottom 4 of a league due to quitting the league or a lack of fantasy hoops knowledge.

Don't worry about 4.3 (iii) guys, just stay active and don't make absurd trades that need to be vetoed and you should be fine.

You should be fine as long as your commissioner doesn't feel you quit on the league and recommends you be dropped. ;-D
samo
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby sabonis » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:59 pm

thanks for the info
sabonis
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby samo » Tue May 19, 2009 5:46 am

sabonis wrote:thanks for the info

;-D
samo
General Manager
General Manager

Postby samo » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:26 am

Mandatory Roto with option for dual H2H to achieve full "FBC Octagon" status. ;-D

2.3 The Champions League will be required to play a minimum of one mandatory league, either H2H or rotisserie, and will have the option, upon the vote of 9 of 12 managers, to establish and play a second league of the opposite format, the results of which shall have equal weight as the mandatory league in determining Champions League final results. The Champions League mandatory format will be determined randomly each year, as follows: the format will be H2H if the Western Conference representative wins Game 3 of the prior season's NBA Championship series and rotisserie if the Eastern Conference representative wins Game 3.

If a Champions League elects to play a single league, the winner of that year's league shall have the right to use "Champions League Winner" in his Cafe signature. If a Champions League elects to use the dual H2H-Roto format, that year's league shall be referred to as "The FBC Octagon" and the winner may use "FBC Octagon Champion" in his Cafe signature.
samo
General Manager
General Manager

A small step for you, but a big one for the Cafe

Postby Dolfin99 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:21 am

The Cafe was created in 2002, and has gone a long way since. Being one of the most innovative sites out there, many of the features that are the gold standard of fantasy sports sites today have originated at the Cafe. The Cafe has helped me win many games and draft solid lineups and I am sure it has done the same for you. As we continue to grow and evolve, we are always looking for people who would like to walk a stretch of the way together with us and help extend the frontier of what fantasy sites can offer. :-D

The number of activities available at the Cafe is simply enormous, so if you would like to join in and lend a hand (and why wouldn't you!), there's a 100% chance we can match you with a task that meets your talents and interests. If you're planning to give something back to the Cafe or your fellow members, simply looking for some more activity to participate in on your favorite site, or even longing to acquire skills that might help you pursue a future career in fantasy sports.

Very generally, areas include (but aren't limited to) writing, editing, managing, broadcasting, programming and pretty much anything slick and cool that holds a fantasy site together. :-b You can bring you own skills and ideas, or simply take ours. ;-)

Remember that this site is run by you, the Cafe members. It's a game of give and take, and the more you, the members, give to the Cafe, the more the Cafe will be able to give back to you. Regardless of whether you can help just once or five days a week, any assistance that you can provide is welcome. If you feel you can contribute one way or other, reply to this thread or contact dolfin99 via PM and he will not only answer any questions that you may have, but also set you up and get you going. ;-D
Dolfin99
Coffee Grinder
Coffee Grinder

EditorWeb SupporterFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby samo » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:28 pm

Cool, I like Roto and I like monthly placeholders so our league forum doesn't get deleted. ;-D

Any offseason debates, change requests, etc?
samo
General Manager
General Manager

Postby greyone » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:54 am

throw my name into the alternate hat. ;-D
greyone
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertLucky Ladders Weekly Winner