2007-2013 Archived Posts - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Octagon

2007-2013 Archived Posts

Moderators: jphanned, samo

Re: First Division H2H Draft Commentary

Postby plonden » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:54 pm

Oh man, I was hoping for Dwight or Dirk here...

Hope those retinas stay attached. :-o
plonden
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 52)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby silentjim » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:02 pm

plonden wrote:Oh man, I was hoping for Dwight or Dirk here...

Hope those retinas stay attached. :-o

Haha.

I of course would have loved to have taken Dwight Howard at the turn, but I'm beginning to think people might be reaching for him a bit. Essentially to make him worth first round value, you're going to have to punt at least two cats, which I'm fine with. But, look how many other guys that can jump to first round value by tanking two cats who can easily be drafted in the third, fourth, or fifth rounds.

I just don't like the pigeon hole as much as I once did, especially considering the value people are potentially passing up.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 565)

Postby plonden » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:32 pm

silentjim wrote:I of course would have loved to have taken Dwight Howard at the turn, but I'm beginning to think people might be reaching for him a bit. Essentially to make him worth first round value, you're going to have to punt at least two cats, which I'm fine with. But, look how many other guys that can jump to first round value by tanking two cats who can easily be drafted in the third, fourth, or fifth rounds.

I just don't like the pigeon hole as much as I once did, especially considering the value people are potentially passing up.

Normally I would agree with you, but this season seems different to me. Once Paul, James, Wade, Durant, Granger, Kobe and Dirk are off the board things get very murky. I like Howard because he dictates a clear strategy in H2H and he has proven to be durable. His ability to play 80+ games every season is what I was looking for. The other people going in the first round all have questionable injury histories including some very recent injuries. I want to name names but can't until a little later on...
plonden
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 52)

Postby sabonis » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:04 pm

plonden you want Dirk? come and get him :-D

seriously though I might do a trade with Amare but of course not 1on1. there will be consequences :-b pm me if you are interested
sabonis
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby RedHopeful » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:12 pm

silentjim wrote:Haha.

I of course would have loved to have taken Dwight Howard at the turn, but I'm beginning to think people might be reaching for him a bit. Essentially to make him worth first round value, you're going to have to punt at least two cats, which I'm fine with. But, look how many other guys that can jump to first round value by tanking two cats who can easily be drafted in the third, fourth, or fifth rounds.

Reaching on him? Jimmy - DHow is clearly a top 4 player when you simply eliminate FT%. If one doesn't have a top pick in an H2H league, he's just gold to managers who get him later in the 1st round.
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 603)

Re: 2009-2010 First Division H2H League Draft Thread

Postby big.d57 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:29 pm

1.10 Al Jefferson (pf/c-MN)
Courtesy of Blamer
big.d57
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Re: 2009-2010 First Division H2H League Draft Thread

Postby baller crimson » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:40 pm

1.11 Chris Bosh (PF/C, TOR)
baller crimson
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Re: 2009-2010 Champions League H2H Draft Thread

Postby bokzg » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:02 pm

1.09 Deron Williams (PG - UTA)
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 68)

Re: Champions League Draft Commentary

Postby bokzg » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:08 pm

I wussed out and went with, what I consider, one of the safer options for a late-first-round pick. Ignoring TOs, Deron has put up solid first round value over the past two seasons if you exclude his production coming back from his injury this past season, i.e. Nov and Dec. I don't think the Boozer drama will affect Deron's production, and there's nothing that has happened to the Jazz roster that would cause a dip.

As many others have stated already, picking at this spot in the first round is quite difficult this season. I considered the several other high-risk/high-reward picks, but didn't feel like gambling if I didn't have to with such an important pick.
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 68)

Postby samo » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:17 pm

RedHopeful wrote:
silentjim wrote:Haha.

Reaching on him? Jimmy - DHow is clearly a top 4 player when you simply eliminate FT%. If one doesn't have a top pick in an H2H league, he's just gold to managers who get him later in the 1st round.

I don't necessarily disagree, though I do think the nuance of Octagon H2H flavors things a bit differently than traditional H2H. As we all know (since we've all read the Octagon scoring rules) Octo-style H2H determines final league standings based on cumulative win-loss record by category not week (i.e. winning 7-2 is significantly better than winning 5-4). H2H playoffs are treated like any other week of the season. To me, this somewhat diminishes the traditional "H2H punting" strategy - not entirely but somewhat. If having Dwight helps a manager win 6-3 or 7-2 most weeks, that's a recipe for success. If starting each week guaranteed to lose at least 1 and probably 2 cats leads to a bunch of 5-4 wins and 4-5 losses, that's not going to get it done. Dwight is certainly a large blunt weapon that can crush (like "rock" in rock/paper/scissors), but like anything else its all about what you do with him.
samo
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Octagon