2007-2013 Archived Posts - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Octagon

2007-2013 Archived Posts

Moderators: jphanned, samo

Re: 2008-2009 Off-Season Discussion

Postby The Thrill » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:25 am

Just got back from some conferences and checked out my teams' final standings. Wow, pretty amazing finish in the first division roto league. :-° bokzg and I battled it out for a good week or so. I'm cool with waiting to see if there are any dropouts. For what it's worth, if I were to pound the gavel or make an executive decision, I'd give it to the manager that had the higher points. That's typically the tie-breaker in fantasy basketball leagues, I believe. Unfortunately for me, bokzg had an 8 and I had a 7 (i.e. he had more points that me). For what it's worth, that may be worth adding to the rules as a clarification point in case a tiebreaker happens in roto again though. O:-)
The Thrill
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Gentlemen, we have an Octagon champion

Postby CavemanDoctor » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:18 am

Congrats geodbear!
CavemanDoctor
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Thrill » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:45 pm

Congrats geodbear! ;-D
The Thrill
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)

Postby ugk34 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:51 pm

I think that would be a great consideration to be added to the rules, for next year. But for this year, since no rule like that was stated, i think both should be in. But like everyone has said, i'm sure someone may decide to drop out
ugk34
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 8)

Postby jphanned » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:02 am

The problem with letting both Thrill and bokzg in would be if the Western Conference champion wins Game 3 of the NBA Finals and the H2H format becomes mandatory, or even if we decide to go with the Champions League dual format. I double checked Yahoo!'s rules and they won't let you even start the season with an odd number of managers in a H2H league. We'll just have to wait it out and see what happens.

We should probably discuss roto tiebreakers so we can incorporate it into the rules like ugk said. Any suggestions?

Here's their current tiebreak system I think....
1. Most team points scored.
2. Most team rebounds.
3. Highest team field goal percentage.
4. Highest team free throw percentage.
5. Fewest team turnovers.
6. Most team 3-point shots made.
7. Most team assists.
8. Most team steals.
9. Most team blocked shots.
10. Random "coin flip."
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 425)

Postby RobitusinZ » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:11 pm

Congrats man!
thanks for the sig, soty!

"It takes more than mathematical strategies to beat me." - Shaquille "The Big Aristotle" O'Neal
RobitusinZ
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby flyingbeavers16 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:25 am

The only other thing I can think of besides the stats you mentioned is which team has the least amount of plays left. For instance the Thrill had one utility spot unused while Long Rangers reached his max at all positions. The win could go to the Thrill because he used one less spot to get the same score.

Just throwing that out there.
flyingbeavers16
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Postby jphanned » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:50 am

That's interesting. Might be a bit too subjective though because he could have hurt his point values in %% and TO.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 425)

Postby SC » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:51 am

yeah congrats man... that's some excellent drafting... didn't do too bad in the High Flyers Keeper League either. ;-D
SC
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Fantasy Expert

Re: 2007-2008 In-Season League Updates

Postby SC » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:57 am

Rounders Block wrote:Final Octagon Champions League Standings:
1 The Anti-Twardzik II (geodbear): 6 + 1 = 7
2 Team Jennings (jaytizy): 3 + 5.5 = 8.5
3 Dutch Warriors (Dutch): 1 + 8.5 = 9.5
4 No Co. For Old GM's (SC): 8 + 2.5 = 10.5
5 We got Deng (thelimey): 2 + 8.5 = 10.5
6 Kud Idijoti (samo): 7 + 4 = 11

7 Dime Baggers (Shotcaller): 5 + 7 = 12
8 Blaze (pugsly8422): 4 + 10 = 14
9 We are the Robots (ed): 12 + 2.5 = 14.5
10 trip*dub (mbuser): 9 + 5.5 = 14.5
11 Crimedogg32 (Crimedogg32): 11 + 11 = 22
12 Statsman88 (statsman88): 10 + 12 = 22

samo wrote:
geodbear wrote:Going into the last day, jaytizy (Team Jennings) had 3rd place in roto but fell to a tie for 5th (a ranking of 5.5), which gives me the Octagon title for 2008.

Wow. WOW! Unbefreakinglievable. What an incredible finish. This thing went down to the last games. SC jumped from potentially not making the top 6 to 4th overall ON THE FINAL NIGHT OF THE SEASON. 'Tizy was fixin to slip away with the overall win on a huge late season H2H run but was punished on the roto side ON THE FINAL NIGHT OF THE SEASON by the cruel, cruel fantasy gods.

Yeah, it was quite amazing how the chips fell. 8-o

in regards to my teams...

In the roto league, I knew I drafted a good team - but aside from all that, it was one of the better seasons I've had in terms of monitoring 'games played'. Finished 5 games under the max, with 815 games played. In roto leagues of the past, that's always been one of the more tasking things to keep tabs on, with a busy work and school schedule and all. I stuck in there though, made a quiet trade in late January (my Ilguaskas/Gibson -for- Ellis/Perkins) which def helped my FG% and STL, and helped when Kev. Martin and Gasol missed games.

As for the H2H league, I'm pretty much embarrased by what happened to my team. Easily one of the most lopsided season's I've ever had in H2H. I won the first 8 weeks of fantasy BB (remember having maybe a 10 game lead on 2nd place), with a Garnett/Boozer/Kaman/Bynum combination really going to work, etc. After losing Bynum for good, Harris for a awhile, and other injuries, it all went downhill. I lost 11 of the next 13 matchups, with essentially the same squad I was winning with earlier in the season... H2H can be frustratinggg.

All in all, I'm happy to be in the league, and am still game for next season. Def one of the most competitive leagues. Greatful, and a little proud, to have grabbed fourth place overall, as I consider all you guys to be really knowledgeable fantasy players. Cool to be in a couple of leagues with Buser as well. :-b
SC
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Fantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Octagon