2007-2013 Archived Posts - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Octagon

2007-2013 Archived Posts

Moderators: jphanned, samo

Re: 2008-2009 Off-Season Discussion

Postby RobitusinZ » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:58 pm

Hey, we still get to play in the league next season, even if we stunk this season, right? :D

Just wondering...

One thing that hurt me this season was the Ricky Davis trade just before the season started. The draft for this league started early in the off-season, so RD was still wearing a Minnesota jersey and was looking like he'd end up with a lot of value, so I drafted him fairly early. That was a complete waste of a pick.

I also didn't have much of a plan going into the draft, and I ended up not liking my first two picks of Nash and Kidd. I traded one away for little value, getting back Redd who's nothing special. That value loss was another dagger.

On the plus side, Bynum, Harris and Aldridge ended up being nice picks. I drafted the same trio in two other leagues, and I'd call them keys to success. Aldridge at the end of the 5th proved to be right on the money, and grabbing him in the 6th or 7th, as I did elsewhere, was even better. Also, grabbing Jamario Moon off the WW was either very wise or very lucky...I grabbed him in this league, and the other two that I just mentioned as well.

For next year, I want to have a better plan of attack for this draft. Doing this draft this year prepped me for my other drafts, because as I saw my team form up here, and made my decisions on "lucky" late picks, I had a schematic to draw from in other drafts. Plus, seeing who everyone else picked helped as well, as did everyone's comments as the draft went on.

All in all, I think I was as competitive as I could be given my "rookie" status to the league, and next season I'm definitely going to bring it much harder.
thanks for the sig, soty!

"It takes more than mathematical strategies to beat me." - Shaquille "The Big Aristotle" O'Neal
RobitusinZ
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby ugk34 » Fri May 02, 2008 6:04 pm

Despite the fact of getting Amare, Bosh, Melo, and Dwight as my first 4 picks, i think the picks of richard jefferson and peja in the 6th and 7th really helped make my team what it was to win the First Divison H2H league and maybe even getting jamaal crawford in the 9th!

but who knows lol
ugk34
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 8)

Postby sabonis » Wed May 14, 2008 8:50 am

I'm already excited for next season :-B
sabonis
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby samo » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:17 am

sabonis wrote:I'm already excited for next season :-B

Yup. Even though its only Game 2 tonight, thought I'd plug the Octagonal relevance of next Tuesday's Game 3:

The Champions League will be required to play a minimum of one mandatory league, either H2H or rotisserie, and will have the option, upon the vote of 9 of 12 managers, to establish and play a second league of the opposite format, the results of which shall have equal weight as the mandatory league in determining Champions League final results. The Champions League mandatory format will be determined randomly each year, as follows: the format will be H2H if the Western Conference representative wins Game 3 of the prior season's NBA Championship series and rotisserie if the Eastern Conference representative wins Game 3.

Even though I prefer roto, I've gotta admit I'll be pulling for H2H mandatory format this time around. ;-)
samo
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby jphanned » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:29 am

Ugh totally forgot about that. Lakers steal Game 2 and the Celtics come back and win Game 3? :-o

EDIT: Nevermind. :-/
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby flyingbeavers16 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:39 am

looks like i'll be cheering for the lakers then.....just for this one game
flyingbeavers16
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Re: Gentlemen, we have an Octagon champion

Postby samo » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:07 am

8-o
samo
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby thelimey » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:21 pm

It may be a tad early but at what stage shall we start discussing the dual format for this years champions league. Personally I loved it, it was tough and a lot of work but the challenge was worth it.
thelimey
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 47)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jphanned » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:52 pm

thelimey wrote:It may be a tad early but at what stage shall we start discussing the dual format for this years champions league. Personally I loved it, it was tough and a lot of work but the challenge was worth it.

We'll definitely talk about it as the season nears. Gotta hear from Knicks4ever first about whether or not he'll be returning.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby sabonis » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:48 am

what is the dual system? I feel stupid asking this :-D
sabonis
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Octagon