2007-2013 Archived Posts - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Octagon

2007-2013 Archived Posts

Moderators: jphanned, samo

Re: 2009-2010 In-Season Updates

Postby bokzg » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:24 pm

Congrats to samo, pure domination as already stated by others in this thread.
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 113)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby biznac » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:30 am

grats samo! ;-D
thanks soty!
biznac
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 31)

Postby biznac » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:34 am

First Division H2H - Final Standings

League Champion
Greyone
2nd
SA Sugarkids
3rd
Enemy of the State
4th
UGK34
5th
Gone in a Flash
6th
Charlie work

Congrats to Greyone and all that will make it to next year's Champion's League!
thanks soty!
biznac
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 31)

Postby samo » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:48 am

thelimey wrote:Just a couple of quick observations:
As I understand the rules if you finish the regular season of the HTH league in the top 6 you cannot lose your place in the top 6 due to the playoffs, rule 3.1. Yes, this is right - the basic ideal is to prevent a "lower tier" H2H playoff team from making a huge jump in position by going 8-1 against 2-3 teams that have quit for whatever reason while the "upper tier" teams beat each other senseless managing actively. It may be we decide to eliminate the H2H playoffs altogether, but I personally liked having the top 2 teams squaring off in the final week to decide who had the best full-season record, and I kinda think CavemanDoctor liked going manu-a-manu too. Let's discuss whether to drop H2H playoffs now that we apparently have that option.

Also if we have a tie in Roto we split the points, so a tie for second actually results in sharing 2nd & 3rd giving each team 2.5 points rather than 2. I don't actually see a rule for this but we have operated like this in the past; waybe it needs to be added to the scoring section of the rules? Also correct. It's not "in the rules" but it's mathematically accurate (I think) and it's how we've always scored Roto ties.
There's no real impact to the standings, same winner & 6 qualifiers for next year, this is how I see it but I guess we need the final confirmation by the commish: I'm still thinking of Rounders as the 09-10 commish, and I'll admit I've not had time to check or recalculate the final score/standings, but unless anyone disagrees, thelimey tends to get it right and I'll trust the final standings are:

samo = 3
Crimedogg32 = 6.5
CavemanDoctor =8
bokzg = 9.5
TheJordanRulz = 11.5
thelimey = 11.5
SC = 12
Redhopeful = 12.5
ggs = 20.5
pugsly8422 = 20
Rounders Block = 20
schweigersaipan = 21
samo
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby samo » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:26 am

TheJordanRulz wrote:samo, i can't tell if you are the luckiest drafter ever, a complete fantasy basketball genius, or somewhere in between, but well done either way. you straight up dominated the octagon this year. glad i could make my last minute push and get in for next year to challenge you.

i was thinking, now that yahoo allows per week caps on roster moves, i'd like to see the h2h piece of this league change to a 4 or 5 move per week max and an 82 move season max as opposed to the 50 move season max. i probably wouldn't have made it in for next year had i not been playing RB and pugsley who has pretty much given up on their teams and were basically inactive. maybe if there were more overall moves allowed, yet with the per weeek limit, they would have been more involved and maintained their interest in competing longer.

Well, there's always a degree of luck in fantasy hoops. I'm not a fantasy basketball genius, since I really had no clue we'd have several crazy rookies putting up ridiculous value. I did, however, have a darn good fantasy season (defended my 08-09 Octagon Champions win; 3rd of 14 in Masters roto league, and 1 of 12 in Cafe mock draft league (I think). The secret to maximizing one's chance of success in fantasy hoops is, purely in my opinion, fairly straightforward (and slightly corny) - you add a 10th statistical category to your draft evaluation. The 10 cat is Character. You've just got to avoid low/medium character guys at all costs, no matter what crazy numbers they can put up when they're "on." You've got 8 rounds to create the core of a team and you really need to get at least 6 of those 8 right or you'll never catch up. I "missed" on enough players in this years drafts to know I don't really know all that much. I didn't know Andre Miller would get stymied. Didn't know Rashard Lewis would stink all year. Didn't know Ray Allen and Rasheed would generally disappoint (though I had a nagging suspicion). I did think Marc Gasol was a good value in Round 9 or 10 or wherever I got him in both leagues. I will always draft Chauncey Billups if given the chance, the ultimate character guy. Big men like Dirk and David West who can shoot the ball are like a security blanket. I really, really don't like taking guys in Round 1 who have EVER missed more than 10 games in a season, regardless of the reason.

I'd say it's not really luck, but it's certainly not genius either. It's just a set of basic principals that seem to shift the odds of success in your favor. Heck, if I was a fantasy hoops genius, I'd have won the public roto league I entered to show my ultra-smart high-school buddy how fantasy hoops works. !+) !+)

I'm sure open to improvements like game limit changes, etc. We'll get an offseason thread/discussion going. I love this group of mangers at the Cafe and Octagon - open to new ideas and perfectly prepared to pummel you the way CavemanDoctor pounded me in the H2H final week. ;-D ;-D
samo
General Manager
General Manager

Postby SC » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:07 am

I thought I had a promising season going early in the season, but had some losses in Granger, Bynum, Pau, etc, and couldn't rise out of middle-of-the-pack. Wish I could have used Steph Curry's amazing BBall in the last week of the season in H2H playoffs, but oh well... Was a great season and look forward to being in the Octagon next season. Based on the the final standings, I just missed out on the top 6, is that correct? I went into the H2H playoffs as the 5th seed and finished 6th, and finished the Roto league in the 6th place, yet on the final scores it seems I finished 7th?

Just a couple of quick observations:
As I understand the rules if you finish the regular season of the HTH league in the top 6 you cannot lose your place in the top 6 due to the playoffs, rule 3.1. Yes, this is right - the basic ideal is to prevent a "lower tier" H2H playoff team from making a huge jump in position by going 8-1 against 2-3 teams that have quit for whatever reason while the "upper tier" teams beat each other senseless managing actively. It may be we decide to eliminate the H2H playoffs altogether, but I personally liked having the top 2 teams squaring off in the final week to decide who had the best full-season record, and I kinda think CavemanDoctor liked going manu-a-manu too. Let's discuss whether to drop H2H playoffs now that we apparently have that option.
SC
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Fantasy Expert

Postby thelimey » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:14 pm

SC wrote:I thought I had a promising season going early in the season, but had some losses in Granger, Bynum, Pau, etc, and couldn't rise out of middle-of-the-pack. Wish I could have used Steph Curry's amazing BBall in the last week of the season in H2H playoffs, but oh well... Was a great season and look forward to being in the Octagon next season. Based on the the final standings, I just missed out on the top 6, is that correct? I went into the H2H playoffs as the 5th seed and finished 6th, and finished the Roto league in the 6th place, yet on the final scores it seems I finished 7th?

Just a couple of quick observations:

For various reasons we ended up have a few teams this year that ended up monopolising the lower rankings which meant that everyone else had a better total score. Usually youd expect the median champions league score (and cut off for the next year) to be 13 but if, for example 4 teams take up all the lower rankings the median score becomes 9. The previous 2 seasons the 6th place score has been 11 & 11.5 as well, inevitably you get some inactive teams & this is one of the conseqences.

samo wrote:
TheJordanRulz wrote:samo, i can't tell if you are the luckiest drafter ever, a complete fantasy basketball genius, or somewhere in between, but well done either way. you straight up dominated the octagon this year. glad i could make my last minute push and get in for next year to challenge you.

i was thinking, now that yahoo allows per week caps on roster moves, i'd like to see the h2h piece of this league change to a 4 or 5 move per week max and an 82 move season max as opposed to the 50 move season max. i probably wouldn't have made it in for next year had i not been playing RB and pugsley who has pretty much given up on their teams and were basically inactive. maybe if there were more overall moves allowed, yet with the per weeek limit, they would have been more involved and maintained their interest in competing longer.

Well, there's always a degree of luck in fantasy hoops. I'm not a fantasy basketball genius, since I really had no clue we'd have several crazy rookies putting up ridiculous value. I did, however, have a darn good fantasy season (defended my 08-09 Octagon Champions win; 3rd of 14 in Masters roto league, and 1 of 12 in Cafe mock draft league (I think). The secret to maximizing one's chance of success in fantasy hoops is, purely in my opinion, fairly straightforward (and slightly corny) - you add a 10th statistical category to your draft evaluation. The 10 cat is Character. You've just got to avoid low/medium character guys at all costs, no matter what crazy numbers they can put up when they're "on." You've got 8 rounds to create the core of a team and you really need to get at least 6 of those 8 right or you'll never catch up. I "missed" on enough players in this years drafts to know I don't really know all that much. I didn't know Andre Miller would get stymied. Didn't know Rashard Lewis would stink all year. Didn't know Ray Allen and Rasheed would generally disappoint (though I had a nagging suspicion). I did think Marc Gasol was a good value in Round 9 or 10 or wherever I got him in both leagues. I will always draft Chauncey Billups if given the chance, the ultimate character guy. Big men like Dirk and David West who can shoot the ball are like a security blanket. I really, really don't like taking guys in Round 1 who have EVER missed more than 10 games in a season, regardless of the reason.

I'd say it's not really luck, but it's certainly not genius either. It's just a set of basic principals that seem to shift the odds of success in your favor. Heck, if I was a fantasy hoops genius, I'd have won the public roto league I entered to show my ultra-smart high-school buddy how fantasy hoops works. !+) !+)

I'm sure open to improvements like game limit changes, etc. We'll get an offseason thread/discussion going. I love this group of mangers at the Cafe and Octagon - open to new ideas and perfectly prepared to pummel you the way CavemanDoctor pounded me in the H2H final week. ;-D ;-D

I like the sound of that missing 10 games a season idea, my HTH team got badly burned by Paul, Murphy, Garnett in the first half of the season, I was then too slow to cut the marginal injured players in the second half of the season. I finally got a decent roto finish although it did involve a slightly unorthodox strategy that included taking Dwight Howard in the 1st. Obviously I decided to ignore FT% & TO but I was slightly disappointed by my pts & 3 pt rankings, Howard scored fewer points than I expected & my gamble on Redd completely backfired. With the right players I think the strategy can definately work although there are a couple of players you really need to make it happen.
thelimey
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 48)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby samo » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:10 pm

Can we get a confirmation of First Division H2H final standings and an actual win-loss record calculation, for purposes of determining a tie-break if we need to add a 4th place First Division manager to the Champions League? Thanks.

Also, we'll need someone from the First Division Roto league to post the final standings (include points please). ;-D

biznac wrote:First Division H2H - Final Standings

League Champion
Greyone
2nd
SA Sugarkids
3rd
Enemy of the State
4th
UGK34
5th
Gone in a Flash
6th
Charlie work

Congrats to Greyone and all that will make it to next year's Champion's League!
samo
General Manager
General Manager

Re: 2010 Off-Season Discussion

Postby samo » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:25 pm

Can the comissioner of each league (or anyone who actively participated, really) give us a list of managers who went inactive and may have to be replaced? We'll take extenuating circumstances into account in deciding whether to replace managers, but our managers really need to stay active to keep these leagues at their best.

Can we get some of the Octagon "regulars" to step-up into a leadership role this offseason and next year? It usually takes at least two and maybe 3 guys to keep this thing organized. Does anyone know if Rounders (Justin) will be around or what? Currently, our only Octagon "moderators" are mbuser (who dropped out after not advancing in Champions League play in 08-09), Rounders Block, and me. I'd love a RedHopeful or a bokzg, CavemanDoctor, thelimey, etc. or any Octagon regular who considers this league their "home league" to consider helping out. Frankly, I'm in my first "Brett Favre offseason mode" where I'm not sure how many more fantasy hoops seasons I've got left. This league is too fresh to go away simply because the league mods go AWOL.

So who's up for it? ;-D ;-D
samo
General Manager
General Manager

Re: 2010 Off-Season Discussion

Postby geodbear » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:36 am

Here are the results on the roto 1st division:

1. Lorenzo 63
2. DamnLies 58.5
3. Super Buddies 56.5
4. tsmartin23 52
5. Tianyi 51
6. flyingbeavers16 48
6. Ba Lee Dat 48
8. Thrill's Rawkfist 47
9. Team Grrr 44
10. Bucko's Squad 27

Lornzo basically lead the entire season.
Yes, Warriors sold at last!
geodbear

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 266)

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Octagon