2007-2013 Archived Posts - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Octagon

2007-2013 Archived Posts

Moderators: jphanned, samo

Re: 2010-2011 Offseason Discussion

Postby Crimedogg32 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:33 pm

Im not sure if I should vote here or in the PM but I vote dual format if the forced league in H2H instead of Roto
FBC Octagon Champion - 2010-2011
Crimedogg32
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby ugk34 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:52 pm

I'm excited for another year! Love doing fantasy basketball with everyone in this group! Gotta get back to my 2007-2008 form haha
ugk34
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby samo » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:07 pm

CavemanDoctor wrote:I vote for keeping it to one league.

Totally up to you guys. Bear in mind the Champion's League does not morph into the "The FBC Octagon" unless the dual-format is selected, if that matters.

2.3 The Champions League will be required to play a minimum of one mandatory league, either H2H or rotisserie, and will have the option, upon the vote of 9 of 12 managers, to establish and play a second league of the opposite format, the results of which shall have equal weight as the mandatory league in determining Champions League final results. The Champions League mandatory format will be determined randomly each year, as follows: the format will be H2H if the Western Conference representative wins Game 3 of the prior season's NBA Championship series and rotisserie if the Eastern Conference representative wins Game 3.

If a Champions League elects to play a single league, the winner of that year's league shall have the right to use "Champions League Winner" in his Cafe signature. If a Champions League elects to use the dual H2H-Roto format, that year's league shall be referred to as "The FBC Octagon" and the winner may use "FBC Octagon Champion" in his Cafe signature.
samo
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby CavemanDoctor » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:34 pm

samo wrote:

Totally up to you guys. Bear in mind the Champion's League does not morph into the "The FBC Octagon" unless the dual-format is selected, if that matters.

Voting for one league is my way of making sure you'll go down in the books as the only FBC Octagon champ in history, samo. I thought that was obvious. :-b
CavemanDoctor
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby geodbear » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:41 pm

CavemanDoctor wrote:
samo wrote:

Voting for one league is my way of making sure you'll go down in the books as the only FBC Octagon champ in history, samo. I thought that was obvious. :-b

Actually, I was the first. Samo won the next two - and oh my, we're both in 1st division roto this year, along with pseudo-samo.
Yes, Warriors sold at last!
geodbear

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 278)

Postby CavemanDoctor » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:42 pm

Oh my bad geodbear. I'm trying to ensure samo goes down as the last FBC Octagon champ. There, that works.
CavemanDoctor
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby baller crimson » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:06 pm

Rounders Block wrote:Just looking over the league rosters, and wow these leagues are stacked. You can't argue with the quality of the Champions League guys who can just point to last year's results as proof that they can hang (and beat) the best of the best. I gotta say that I'm even more impressed with the depth of the First Division leagues though. Is there a single weak spot anywhere in either league? It may be a First Division league but I feel like I'll be going up against Champions league type talent.

All I can say is that it's definitely going to be a battle in First Division Roto...
baller crimson
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby deadshot11 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:29 pm

baller crimson wrote:
Rounders Block wrote:Just looking over the league rosters, and wow these leagues are stacked. You can't argue with the quality of the Champions League guys who can just point to last year's results as proof that they can hang (and beat) the best of the best. I gotta say that I'm even more impressed with the depth of the First Division leagues though. Is there a single weak spot anywhere in either league? It may be a First Division league but I feel like I'll be going up against Champions league type talent.

All I can say is that it's definitely going to be a battle in First Division Roto...

Holy cow. I just saw the list. That's going to be my first taste of a Cafe league? 8-o Great. Can I change my preference to H2H now? jk. :-{
deadshot11
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 27)

Postby thelimey » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:46 pm

Voted for the dual format as it's more fun & I think it's a better test as you need to be strong at both HTH & roto; that last month of trying to pick up every position possible is fanatstic & keeps the leagues competitive to the very end. Aside from the time it takes to have two drafts I don't really see why it isn't the default format of the champiomns league. Maybe something to think about for the rules of future seasons?
thelimey
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 48)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jphanned » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:13 pm

thelimey wrote:Voted for the dual format as it's more fun & I think it's a better test as you need to be strong at both HTH & roto; that last month of trying to pick up every position possible is fanatstic & keeps the leagues competitive to the very end. Aside from the time it takes to have two drafts I don't really see why it isn't the default format of the champiomns league. Maybe something to think about for the rules of future seasons?

Yeah that's a fair point. In the three years of running the Upper Division league it's always ending up being a dual format. Personally I agree with you that the dual format is the way to go (and really one of many things that sets this league apart from others). The original thought process was more with regards to in-season than offseason IIRC. We didn't want to impose and force managers to have to manage one more team than they had to considering many to most of the participants competed in multiple leagues. With Y! expanding to 8 teams per ID though, I think this is becoming less and less of an issue. I don't think the offseason drafting is a big problem because the drafts are basically run concurrently (staggered a week or two tops). I'm thinking it might be too late to step in and impose such a ruling but the EC can definitely discuss and maybe incorporate such a ruling in the future.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Octagon