2007-2013 Archived Posts - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Octagon

2007-2013 Archived Posts

Moderators: jphanned, samo

Re: 2010-2011 Offseason Discussion

Postby RedHopeful » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:16 am

Fenris-77 wrote:I feel like a victim of a severe lack of context. :-C You guys and your fancy culinary metaphors, and your fancy gifs, and your fancy smack talk. Great googly-moogly.

I have a fancy little white sports car icon under my name and a large and unshakable ego, and that's all I need (the car for style, and the ego just to fit in ;-D ). Your twitting bothers me not in the least. :-D

Damn this is going to be a good league. B-)

I'm completely lost at how you're still driving that snazzy Cafe car. Didn't you go AWOL on us for at least several months? O:-)
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 601)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby jay_00 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:47 am

Wow this is pretty cool i must say. I totally had no idea that i was in this league (or that this thread existed lol) until red and roundersblock told me in the buser mock draft today. Thanks for the invite tho! Sweet, now i get to see how my roto skills stack up with you guys.

So i brushed quickly over the rules and if i read correctly it said that the picks are randomized before the draft thru Yahoo, right? I hope to god i dont get 11th or 12th because i feel this year its tougher to draft from the bottom compared to years past. :-o
jay_00
College Captain
College Captain

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 44)

Postby jphanned » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:03 am

jay_00 wrote:So i brushed quickly over the rules and if i read correctly it said that the picks are randomized before the draft thru Yahoo, right? I hope to god i dont get 11th or 12th because i feel this year its tougher to draft from the bottom compared to years past. :-o

If the league decides to do a messageboard draft (which has become the standard in this league), the draft order will be randomized by the commish and then the draft will commence in this forum (similar to the 2010 Mock Draft).

If the league decides to do a live draft, the draft order will be randomized by Y! as it usually is and not beforehand. So you won't know where you'll be picking until the standard 30-45 minutes when the draft room opens.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 333)

Postby jay_00 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:54 am

Ok cool...either way is fine with me.
jay_00
College Captain
College Captain

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 44)

Postby So-Tex » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:03 am

Fenris-77 wrote:I feel like a victim of a severe lack of context. :-C You guys and your fancy culinary metaphors, and your fancy gifs, and your fancy smack talk. Great googly-moogly.

I have a fancy little white sports car icon under my name and a large and unshakable ego, and that's all I need (the car for style, and the ego just to fit in ;-D ). Your twitting bothers me not in the least. :-D

Damn this is going to be a good league. B-)

Sorry Fenris, didn't mean to make you feel left out.

Don't know about any snazzy, white sports cars...I'm from Texas. And all we have down here are trucks. BIG, HUGE, HONKIN' TRUCKS!

SO YOU BETTER WATCH OUT, CAUSE IF YOU SEE ME COMING FOR YA, I'M GONNA...I'm gonna...uhhhhhhh... :-?

Ehhhhh...who am I kidding? All I own is a 2001 Honda Passport and an 09 Suzuki SX-4. :-C

BUT EITHER WAY, IF YOU SEE ME COMING, YOU BETTER BE READY TO...[slight pause for dramatic silence]..."DODGE"! :-B :-b B-)
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 179)

Postby So-Tex » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:38 am

Rounders Block wrote:
thelimey wrote:Voted for the dual format as it's more fun & I think it's a better test as you need to be strong at both HTH & roto; that last month of trying to pick up every position possible is fanatstic & keeps the leagues competitive to the very end. Aside from the time it takes to have two drafts I don't really see why it isn't the default format of the champiomns league. Maybe something to think about for the rules of future seasons?

Yeah that's a fair point. In the three years of running the Upper Division league it's always ending up being a dual format. Personally I agree with you that the dual format is the way to go (and really one of many things that sets this league apart from others). The original thought process was more with regards to in-season than offseason IIRC. We didn't want to impose and force managers to have to manage one more team than they had to considering many to most of the participants competed in multiple leagues. With Y! expanding to 8 teams per ID though, I think this is becoming less and less of an issue. I don't think the offseason drafting is a big problem because the drafts are basically run concurrently (staggered a week or two tops). I'm thinking it might be too late to step in and impose such a ruling but the EC can definitely discuss and maybe incorporate such a ruling in the future.

I know I'm only First Division H2H, but I was looking back through the thread and saw this. I like the idea as well - in a way, kinda gives those of us in the lower divisions something more to play for (the opportunity for ULTIMATE bragging rights! :-D ).

And even though I'm not in the Champion's League (YET), I think I optimize that sentiment about Y! expanding to 8 teams per ID. Fact is, if I didn't have those open slots, I would have been torn between 3 different Cafe Leagues which I'm now a part of (Octagon, Salary Cap (KalElen) and a Keeper league I was invited to join by Nene. Under last year's settings, I'd have to choose one of those to drop if I still wanted to consider a few of the leagues I was in last year (commished one league, was invited to another, and also did a Busersports.com Invite league, which I plan to do again this year).

Having the 8 team slots now made my choices a lot easier, not to mention opening up the opportunities to go up against some of the best in fantasy basketball. And the only way to become the best is to go up against the best, in my opinion. So I'm excited about this year - really looking forward to all the challenges, both new and old! ;-D

Don't know if I want to take on EIGHT FREAKING TEAMS though! :-o

:-D ;-) B-)
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 179)

Postby Fenris-77 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:38 pm

RedHopeful wrote:I'm completely lost at how you're still driving that snazzy Cafe car. Didn't you go AWOL on us for at least several months? O:-)

Volume posting during the regular season maybe? Honestly, I have no real idea how these icons work. :-D I do post a lot though. :-B

So-Tex wrote:Don't know if I want to take on EIGHT FREAKING TEAMS though!

I feel yah man. I played in 8 last year and it was a lot of business. Now I've signed up for the Octagon too, so something else's going to have to go. Half of the 8 are either keeper or salary formats too, which are a little harder to duck out of. !+) I think the first step is admitting that I have a problem...
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 260)

Postby plonden » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:39 pm

Fenris-77 wrote:Now I've signed up for the Octagon too, so something else's going to have to go.

Might as well quit Bonanza, Fenris, as you're never going to win that league (me neither). :-D
plonden
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 51)

Postby Fenris-77 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:47 pm

plonden wrote:
Fenris-77 wrote:Now I've signed up for the Octagon too, so something else's going to have to go.

Might as well quit Bonanza, Fenris, as you're never going to win that league (me neither). :-D

Gimme another 4 or 5 years and I might be in contention. :-D
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 260)

Postby bokzg » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:06 am

Sent out a PM with the League ID# and password for the Octagon Champions H2H league to all members except for greyone (not sure what "pending" means.. RB?). Please register ASAP, thanks.
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 68)

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Octagon