2007-2013 Archived Posts - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Octagon

2007-2013 Archived Posts

Moderators: jphanned, samo

Re: First Division H2H Draft Commentary

Postby RedHopeful » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:15 am

Hey guys - could those of you who haven't yet responded in regards to the playoff question PM I sent out to the league get back to me sometime soon?
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 683)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: 2010-2011 Offseason Discussion

Postby samo » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:04 am

Well, part of what we're collectively attempting here is to have the most open, reasonably progressive league possible, incorporating new ideas, etc. which actually improve things while not just going with the Yahoo defaults. I'm not averse to same day adds in concept, but I think it may be worth getting some additional commentary/input regarding potential positives/negatives. "I'm not used to it" should not be a reason not to allow a change for the better, but are there any potential negatives beyond streaming? LOL, the problem with Yahoo giving us so many crazy new options is we've got to think them all through before just adopting them all!

It's pretty much impossible to stream in Octagon H2H, even with the 10 move weekly max. 50 moves season max is pretty tight, and even if a manager hoards his moves to use in final weeks push, 10 moves isn't exactly hard-core streaming. I've seen 50-75 moves a week in Yahoo public leagues back in the day, which is comedic farce.
samo
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby KalElen » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:39 am

i'll chip in since you are looking for additional opinions. in roto i have nothing against adding this new rule, but i don't play octagon roto this year, so i don't know how much my voice counts. in h2h however, i prefer to know what my opponent has at his disposal and plan my strategy accordingly. imo that's a huge part of the h2h experience. it's sunday, several cats are closely contested and you have to decide whom to start and/or whom to bench. now if i can add player at the last moment, i'm being rewarded for having nothing better to do on the sunday afternoon then sit in front of my computer and play fbb. those types of guys and girls(year right) with most net access and least (not to say no) social life should not be given such an advantage, because as we all know there are quite a few of those among fbb gm's. i might be persuaded to change my opinion on the matter, but i don't see why we have to rush into it straight away. let us play out a year, we'll all probably get to see new setting in action in at leas some of our leagues (i'm playing jordan's roto keeper, so i know i will). next year we'll be more informed and experienced with the matter and able to reach the best decision

p.s. i hope nobody got offended by this post. i was just trying to add a humorous tone to the otherwise (too) serious discussion. whether we admit it or not, we are all geeks here, at least to some degree :-D ;-)
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby jphanned » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:49 am

KalElen wrote:i'll chip in since you are looking for additional opinions. in roto i have nothing against adding this new rule, but i don't play octagon roto this year, so i don't know how much my voice counts. in h2h however, i prefer to know what my opponent has at his disposal and plan my strategy accordingly. imo that's a huge part of the h2h experience. it's sunday, several cats are closely contested and you have to decide whom to start and/or whom to bench. now if i can add player at the last moment, i'm being rewarded for having nothing better to do on the sunday afternoon then sit in front of my computer and play fbb. those types of guys and girls(year right) with most net access and least (not to say no) social life should not be given such an advantage, because as we all know there are quite a few of those among fbb gm's. i might be persuaded to change my opinion on the matter, but i don't see why we have to rush into it straight away. let us play out a year, we'll all probably get to see new setting in action in at leas some of our leagues (i'm playing jordan's roto keeper, so i know i will). next year we'll be more informed and experienced with the matter and able to reach the best decision

p.s. i hope nobody got offended by this post. i was just trying to add a humorous tone to the otherwise (too) serious discussion. whether we admit it or not, we are all geeks here, at least to some degree :-D ;-)

+1

BTW I got thoroughly outgeeked by CurryPork (and UCLA) in the BOSF last season. I would remember times when I was in extreme geek mode sitting by my computer refreshing box scores while watching games and even then I would still get beaten to the punch in adding a hot WW player by one of those two. Ridiculous.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 402)

Re: First Division H2H Draft Commentary

Postby RedHopeful » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:46 pm

RedHopeful wrote:Hey guys - could those of you who haven't yet responded in regards to the playoff question PM I sent out to the league get back to me sometime soon?

Thanks to the few last responses, we now have a majority in having a NO PLAYOFF SYSTEM for the season. ;-D
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 683)

Postby DVauthrin » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:36 pm

KalElen wrote:i'll chip in since you are looking for additional opinions. in roto i have nothing against adding this new rule, but i don't play octagon roto this year, so i don't know how much my voice counts. in h2h however, i prefer to know what my opponent has at his disposal and plan my strategy accordingly. imo that's a huge part of the h2h experience. it's sunday, several cats are closely contested and you have to decide whom to start and/or whom to bench. now if i can add player at the last moment, i'm being rewarded for having nothing better to do on the sunday afternoon then sit in front of my computer and play fbb. those types of guys and girls(year right) with most net access and least (not to say no) social life should not be given such an advantage, because as we all know there are quite a few of those among fbb gm's. i might be persuaded to change my opinion on the matter, but i don't see why we have to rush into it straight away. let us play out a year, we'll all probably get to see new setting in action in at leas some of our leagues (i'm playing jordan's roto keeper, so i know i will). next year we'll be more informed and experienced with the matter and able to reach the best decision

I agree with this post. ;-D
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 163)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheJordanRulz » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:04 am

Fair enough, I'm fine with tabling this until next year so people can get a taste of the effect (or lack thereof, especially in roto) of same day transactions. I'm in a yahoo baseball league with same day transactions now and ESPN daily transaction leagues have historically been like that and I've been in them the last few years so I guess I've got the experience to speak on and others don't yet. I've found it's super convenient and I don't have to manage all of my moves for the next day right before I have to get to bed. Trying to give the wife less reasons to dislike fantasy sports.....
TheJordanRulz
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 108)

Re: 2010-2011 Champions League H2H Draft Log & Rosters

Postby TheJordanRulz » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:05 am

PG: Chris Paul (1.2)
SG: Vince Carter (8.11)
G: Steve Nash (2.11)
SF: Rashard Lewis (6.11)
PF: David West (3.2)
F: Kevin Garnett (5.2)
C: Channing Frye (7.2)
C: Drew Gooden (11.2)
U: Derrick Rose (4.11)
U: Andre Miller (9.2)
B: J.R. Smith (10.11)
B: Brendan Haywood (12.11)
B: Josh Childress (13.2)
Last edited by TheJordanRulz on Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:38 am, edited 12 times in total.
TheJordanRulz
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Re: 2010-2011 Champions League ROTO Draft Log & Rosters

Postby TheJordanRulz » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:07 am

PG: John Wall (8.02)
SG: Manu Ginobili (4.02)
G: Mike Miller (9.11)
SF: Stephen Jackson (6.02)
PF: Tim Duncan (3.11)
F: Antawn Jamison (5.11)
C: Amar'e Stoudemire (1.11)
C: David Lee (2.02)
U: Luis Scola (7.11)
U: Mike Conley (10.02)
B: Terrence Williams (11.11)
B: Luke Ridnour (12.02)
B:
Last edited by TheJordanRulz on Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:38 am, edited 11 times in total.
TheJordanRulz
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby jphanned » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:20 am

Draft rooms are open -- you guys are free to make your picks. The 24-hour clock will be in effect starting midnight EST though.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 402)

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Octagon