2007-2013 Archived Posts - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Octagon

2007-2013 Archived Posts

Moderators: jphanned, samo

Re: 2010-2011 Offseason Discussion

Postby Fenris-77 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:27 am

Jaysus Murphy! :-C It's been at least 6 minutes since Rounder said we could start drfating and not a single pick. Where's the passion? Where's the commitment?! :-D
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 297)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby greyone » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:34 am

Im joining this conversation very late. The end basically. Kal made a great post which stands on the traditionalist side of waivers. I find it ironic that a distinguished progressive group of fantasy players is pushing hard against same day waivers. We are changing the game every year.

Champions H2H just voted yes on NO playoffs. Who else is doing this? Probably less than 1% of H2H fantasy leagues. But its a good new rule. Or at least in theory it is. I'll admit I am still struggling with the thought. Although I voted to get rid of playoffs. Mostly because I am curious and the setup of Octagon returners and demotees lends itself to not having a 6th, 5th or 4th seed surprise its way to the top in H2H.

In a straight redraft H2H league I would have voted to retain playoffs.

Having no playoffs is the main reason I usually do not play in roto leagues. When you are a bottom tier team in roto. Your team usually has little to zero chance of raising in the ranks.

This is the evolution of fantasy basketball. Roto ---> H2h. Weekly locked rosters ------> Daily rosters. Could same day waivers be the next step in a long line of advances? Probably.

I have not decided which side I am on. But I really don't see a good enough reason to not try it next season.
greyone
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: 2010-2011 Champions League H2H Draft Room

Postby greyone » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:39 am

I'll get this started early since I will not be around tonight. No reason to hold up the draft.

1.01 Kevin Durant (SF - OKC)

PM Sent
greyone
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby CavemanDoctor » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:40 am

Jordan picks:

1.02 Chris Paul (PG - NOH)
CavemanDoctor
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Re: Champions League Draft Commentary

Postby greyone » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:44 am

Kevin Durant. sssshhhhh. :-b
greyone
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: Champions League Draft Commentary

Postby Fenris-77 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:10 am

greyone wrote:Kevin Durant. sssshhhhh. :-b

Wow. Who saw that pick coming? Talk about out of left field. :-S
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 297)

Postby RedHopeful » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:47 am

TheJordanRulz wrote:Fair enough, I'm fine with tabling this until next year so people can get a taste of the effect (or lack thereof, especially in roto) of same day transactions. I'm in a yahoo baseball league with same day transactions now and ESPN daily transaction leagues have historically been like that and I've been in them the last few years so I guess I've got the experience to speak on and others don't yet. I've found it's super convenient and I don't have to manage all of my moves for the next day right before I have to get to bed. Trying to give the wife less reasons to dislike fantasy sports.....

I think we all see your argument Jordan - especially those with ball and chain or some other deep commitment(s). However, there just doesn't appear to be enough pro's over con's yet. I do see this as being a somewhat nice equalizer for those who are not able to get online as much as others. For instance, there are always those few managers who usually miss out on the sudden breakouts but now they could curb that by making a last minute change to take advantage of getting a few extra counting stats etc. Of course, now as I write this, so could the 24 hour guy - get the best pickup and pick up a guy for the night to swing a category or two right before tip off. :*)
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 676)

Postby Shotcaller » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:03 am

1.03 Lebron James (SF - MIA)
"We're not out there reading books, we're out there playing basketball"
Shotcaller
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 32)

Postby CavemanDoctor » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:07 am

1.04 Dirk Nowitzki (PF - DAL)
CavemanDoctor
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby samo » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:39 am

greyone wrote:Although I voted to get rid of playoffs. Mostly because I am curious and the setup of Octagon returners and demotees lends itself to not having a 6th, 5th or 4th seed surprise its way to the top in H2H.

All your thoughts are well-expressed, just wanted to jump in and make sure everybody understands the "Octagon WITH Playoffs" we've been using for 4 years doesn't actually count the Playoff winners as "winners" but as just another week in the season. The recent "Playoff" debate had only to do with whether the higher ranked teams (i.e. Top 6 in each league) tend to play each other in the final weeks or whether they randomly match up against any teams active or dead. Basically, its whether to extend the "regular" season through to the end or whether to set the higher teams to play each other toward the end. Either way, we use cumulative full season win-loss percentage to determine final standings. The "Playoffs" per se have nothing to do with Octagon final H2H standings and never have ... so, in that sense, its really not a big progressive move to eliminate the "Playoffs" as the "Playoffs" have never actually counted as "Playoffs" in Octagon H2H.

Switching gears, I'm outrageously GEEKED to get this started. I have almost no idea who half the players are who were taken past round 10 in the 2010 Cafe Mock Draft but that just adds to my level of geekedness. Oh yeah baby, let's do this thing we do!
samo
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Octagon