2007-2013 Archived Posts - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Octagon

2007-2013 Archived Posts

Moderators: jphanned, samo

Re: 2010-2011 Offseason Discussion

Postby samo » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:02 am

samo wrote:The recent "Playoff" debate had only to do with whether the higher ranked teams (i.e. Top 6 in each league) tend to play each other in the final weeks or whether they randomly match up against any teams active or dead. Basically, its whether to extend the "regular" season through to the end or whether to set the higher teams to play each other toward the end.

Let me try to express this better. Under the current Octagon rules for H2H, the bottom six teams are effectively dropped from the competition during the final few "Playoff" weeks allowing the upper six teams to only play amongst each other. By dropping the "Modified Playoff" option for a "No Playoff" option, the only effective change is that the upper six teams will now be playing a randomized mix of quality, bad, and dead teams during the season's final weeks.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. ;-)
samo
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: 2010-2011 Champions League H2H Draft Room

Postby ugk34 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:06 am

1.05 Kobe Bryant (SG - LAL)
ugk34
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 8)

Postby jphanned » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:14 am

samo wrote:
samo wrote:The recent "Playoff" debate had only to do with whether the higher ranked teams (i.e. Top 6 in each league) tend to play each other in the final weeks or whether they randomly match up against any teams active or dead. Basically, its whether to extend the "regular" season through to the end or whether to set the higher teams to play each other toward the end.

Let me try to express this better. Under the current Octagon rules for H2H, the bottom six teams are effectively dropped from the competition during the final few "Playoff" weeks allowing the upper six teams to only play amongst each other. By dropping the "Modified Playoff" option for a "No Playoff" option, the only effective change is that the upper six teams will now be playing a randomized mix of quality, bad, and dead teams during the season's final weeks.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. ;-)

For scoring purposes I figured that we would just eliminate the top-6 rule and go true cumulative all the way through. Everyone plays each other twice and there's no need for us to set an invisible playoff dividing barrier that would differentiate the regular season from the playoffs. What do you think about this samo?
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 402)

Postby samo » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:24 am

Rounders Block wrote:For scoring purposes I figured that we would just eliminate the top-6 rule and go true cumulative all the way through. Everyone plays each other twice and there's no need for us to set an invisible playoff dividing barrier that would differentiate the regular season from the playoffs. What do you think about this samo?

Oh, for sure. The Top-6 "invisible playoff barrier" (for the benefit of those who don't study/memorize the Octagon Rules like it's the Koran or something) was established so an H2H team that finished rank 7th for the (then mandatory) H2H playoffs and was therefore in the lower bracket playing mostly bad/dead teams was precluded from any possibility of going 27-0 or something crazy against said awful teams and "technically" moving past a higher ranked team playing in the "upper" playoff group.

So, yes, no doubt it should just be full-season standings if going with the No Playoff option. ;-D
samo
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Re: Champions League Draft Commentary

Postby jphanned » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:29 am

The Champions League is putting us all to shame early on with 5 picks on the board just 6 minutes past the scheduled start time. 8-o
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 402)

Re: Champions League Draft Commentary

Postby CavemanDoctor » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:53 am

Rounders Block wrote:The Champions League is putting us all to shame early on with 5 picks on the board just 6 minutes past the scheduled start time. 8-o

We're an anxious, impatient bunch.
CavemanDoctor
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Re: 2010-2011 First Division ROTO Draft Room

Postby flyingbeavers16 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:20 am

1.01 Kevin Durant (F - OKC)
flyingbeavers16
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Re: First Division ROTO Draft Commentary

Postby flyingbeavers16 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:25 am

Durant with my fist pick. No real big surprise, but its nice to get the draft started. Pretty happy to get the fist pick....just hope I don't screw things up.

Good luck everyone!
flyingbeavers16
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Re: 2010-2011 Champions League H2H Draft Room

Postby bokzg » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:26 am

1.06 Dwyane Wade (PG,SG - MIA)
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 113)

Re: 2010-2011 First Division ROTO Draft Room

Postby geodbear » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:27 am

1.02 Chris Paul (PG - NOH)
Yes, Warriors sold at last!
geodbear

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 262)

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Octagon