(Past Year: 28)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2010-2011 First Division ROTO Draft Room

Postby deadshot11 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:09 am

8.03 Elton Brand (FC - PHI)
deadshot11
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 27)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: First Division ROTO Draft Commentary

Postby SC » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:24 am

Grounded Polo wrote:
SC wrote:
Grounded Polo wrote:Griffin wasn't expected to contribute anything on the blocks before the knee surgery, no way he makes any contribution there now.

He averaged over a block per game in college, didn't block many in the summer league though. With his athleticism, I don't think it would be crazy of him to block close to 1.0 BPG. The comparison to Wallace are lofty, I will admit, but that kind of all around production wouldn't surprise me. He's been working out, last month he said the knee feels good. He's been able to go "almost full blast" for a couple months according to him, he has had alot of time off. I don't think his athleticism will fall off.

It's not really the athleticism that indicates whether or not he'll block shots. 1 BPG in college for a guy who was always the most athletic player on the court isn't really impressive, although having to shoulder the OU offensive load by himself does cut him some slack. Most experts never saw Griffin as a shot blocker because his arms are really short, just doesn't have the absurd wingspan found with most shot blockers. Most of the top shot blockers have a standing reach of 9'2" or better (Al Jeff, Dwight, for example, there are loads of examples on Draft Express if you want to look, can't name others because they haven't been drafted), Blake was only 8'9". Tyreke Evans, a guard, measured 8'8". He can't just dominate by pure athleticism every night now, would be difficult for him to average 1 a night if swingmen have comparable wingspans to him. Griffin was generally expected to look like Carlos Boozer statistically if he reached his ceiling.

I don't think he was a bad pick here, he was in my general top 10 guys available, just thought the blocks part wasn't being realistic.

I am familiar with Draft Express, and I understand Griffin isn't the lengthiest player, but you don't necessarily have to be, to block 1 shot a game (on average) or even a little better. Especially when you're logging alot of minutes (Vinny Del Negro already talking about Blake as the starting PF), are 6'10 in a game with alot of shorter guards, and are as explosive, agile, and strong in the paint as Griffin. Amare Stoudemire (1.0 BPG), and other shorter PF's who average a block or better (that I can't name because of the draft), don't really have that much better of a wingspan, reach, or vertical than Blake Griffin. Danny Granger has a shorter standing reach and shorter maximum vertical, yet with enough minutes he's averaged 0.8 to 1.5 BPG in some of his seasons. What I meant by top 15 in shot blocking was "average", or "slightly above average", or enough to be considered a positive. Top 30 would have been closer to accurate but whatever. I personally don't think Blake will have Boozer (0.5) or Scola (0.3) kind of block averages, judging from what I've seen. Boozer is a great offensive player, but was a poor shot blocker even at Duke university, and is just kind of soft on defense in general. Scola too is great offensively, but for his size doesn't have the leaping ability, athleticism, and pure explosiveness to be a good shot blocker. Guess we'll just have to wait and see... start of the season is like months away haha.
SC
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Fantasy Expert

Re: 2010-2011 First Division H2H Draft Room

Postby tsmartin23 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:42 am

6.10 Ray Allen (SG -BOS)

Wow sorry about that. Tried to do a panic pick at 4 am while a laptop was running out of battery.
tsmartin23
Driveway Dunker
Driveway Dunker

Postby So-Tex » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:39 pm

6.11 Yao Ming (C - HOU)
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 217)

Postby KalElen » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:02 pm

6.12 kevin garnett (pf, bos)

7.01 o.j. mayo (g, mem)
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby So-Tex » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:16 pm

7.02 John Salmons (SG/SF - MIL)
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Re: First Division H2H Draft Commentary

Postby So-Tex » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:34 pm

For the record, I would have reached for Yao at 74 instead of 71, but I know Kal needs a center also, and I didn't trust him not to make such a reach as I wanted to (which kind of surprises me why he took Mayo and Garnett - not value wise, but positionally). Plus, I've got a sneaky suspicion Yao wouldn't have made it back to me at 95 (late in the 8th) - that's a lot of real estate to cover, and with this bunch, you know there's bound to be someone else willing to take a shot at Yao.

Hopefully I didn't screw the pooch on this one, but I'm really liking what I've been hearing coming out of Houston. Even Ming himself has squelched doubts I had a month or so ago when he did that interview for a Chinese news outlet. Reading that piece, it seemed he was down on himself and his future, which is the last thing you need in an athlete, especially an All-Star who's coming off major surgery. But the Rockets and Yao are confident that he's ready to go - and if all he needs to do now is shake off the rust, I'm more than glad to have him at the 6th/7th round turn. Hopefully that's the last risk pick I'll have to make this draft.

So much for the analysis...

Better watch yourselves, boys... }:-) :-D B-)
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Re: First Division H2H Draft Commentary

Postby DVauthrin » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:32 pm

So-Tex wrote:For the record, I would have reached for Yao at 74 instead of 71, but I know Kal needs a center also, and I didn't trust him not to make such a reach as I wanted to (which kind of surprises me why he took Mayo and Garnett - not value wise, but positionally). Plus, I've got a sneaky suspicion Yao wouldn't have made it back to me at 95 (late in the 8th) - that's a lot of real estate to cover, and with this bunch, you know there's bound to be someone else willing to take a shot at Yao.

Hopefully I didn't screw the pooch on this one, but I'm really liking what I've been hearing coming out of Houston. Even Ming himself has squelched doubts I had a month or so ago when he did that interview for a Chinese news outlet. Reading that piece, it seemed he was down on himself and his future, which is the last thing you need in an athlete, especially an All-Star who's coming off major surgery. But the Rockets and Yao are confident that he's ready to go - and if all he needs to do now is shake off the rust, I'm more than glad to have him at the 6th/7th round turn. Hopefully that's the last risk pick I'll have to make this draft.

So much for the analysis...

Better watch yourselves, boys... }:-) :-D B-)

This is like the pot calling the kettle black after your response on my Bogut pick. :-D
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 166)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Champions League Draft Commentary

Postby Celticsfan3519 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:33 pm

Crimedogg, trying to copy my team?! :-D I considered taking Terry over Brooks at 6.01 in First Div too, we'd have almost identical teams in that event.
Celticsfan3519
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Octagon