2007-2013 Archived Posts - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Octagon

2007-2013 Archived Posts

Moderators: jphanned, samo

Re: 2008-2009 First Division Roto League Draft Commentary

Postby Shotcaller » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:35 pm

the one wrote:Also, I think Arenas dropped a tad and I really like the KG/Arenas combo.

I thought he dropped a bit too. I know people are afraid of more knee trouble for GIlbert, but I think the reward outweighs the risk. I considered Camby and Nash, but thought that Gilbert's upside was too much to pass up. Plus, some people forget that two short years ago Arenas and Garnett finished 3 and 4 on basketballmonster's end of season rankings. Not too shabby considering I'm drafting from the 7 slot.
"We're not out there reading books, we're out there playing basketball"
Shotcaller
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby tianyi86 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:30 pm

I don't think the comparison from 2 yrs ago is relevant. If so, then my marion pick at 6 and camby in round 2 are both huge steals. KG was a stat filler because 1) he is truly that good, and 2) he was with Minnesota and there was no one there besides KG. Now KG has pierce, ray allen, rondo, and decent bench to play with. The fact that he plays in the weaker Eastern conf only reduces his value because his mpg will be like last years.

Arena's concerns are legitimate. Knee surgery is major for all sports but especially for basketball where everything you do puts stress on the knee. Arena's value 2 years ago was also w/o an all star caron butler. Arena's ppg has to drop to around 20 with butler and jamison both shooting the ball.

I'm not saying kg or arenas are bad picks, but I think they are in line with where they were drafted.
tianyi86
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Shotcaller » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:10 pm

tianyi86 wrote:I don't think the comparison from 2 yrs ago is relevant. If so, then my marion pick at 6 and camby in round 2 are both huge steals. KG was a stat filler because 1) he is truly that good, and 2) he was with Minnesota and there was no one there besides KG. Now KG has pierce, ray allen, rondo, and decent bench to play with. The fact that he plays in the weaker Eastern conf only reduces his value because his mpg will be like last years.

Arena's concerns are legitimate. Knee surgery is major for all sports but especially for basketball where everything you do puts stress on the knee. Arena's value 2 years ago was also w/o an all star caron butler. Arena's ppg has to drop to around 20 with butler and jamison both shooting the ball.

I'm not saying kg or arenas are bad picks, but I think they are in line with where they were drafted.

Not that I'm necessarily disagreeing with you, but if a comparison from only two years ago isn't relevant then wouldn't we all just take the highest ranked player left from basketballmonster's year end rankings? Who's to say that Butler won't get injured again this year, causing Arenas to have to score even more? Ray Allen was very spotty at times last year, and is getting gimpy. Who's to say he doesn't get injured, causing Boston to be a two-man team? I'm not saying that I expect KG and Arenas to finish 3 and 4 this year. What I am saying is that IF they stay healthy, they'll both finish in the top ten. Yes, Arenas could get hurt again, but so could Camby, or Wade, or Nash for that matter. My contention is that optimally, Garnett and Arenas COULD both finish in the top five this year, and nobody would be the least bit surprised. Worst case scenario for both is that they perform at their draft position, which I'll be more than happy with.
"We're not out there reading books, we're out there playing basketball"
Shotcaller
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 32)

Re: 2008-2009 Champions League H2H Draft Thread

Postby SC » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:18 pm

4.04 Jason Kidd (PG - DAL)
SC
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Fantasy Expert

Postby CavemanDoctor » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:07 pm

4.5 Vince Carter (GF - NJN)
CavemanDoctor
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Re: 2008-2009 First Division Roto League Draft Thread

Postby lebron23 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:49 pm

2.7 Chris Bosh F/C
Undisputed FBC Rap Battle Champ. 3-0
lebron23
Playground Pundit
Playground Pundit

Home Cafe: Football

Re: 2008-2009 Champions League Draft Commentary

Postby The Thrill » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:00 pm

tianyi86 wrote:Thrills first 2 picks makes it pretty clear what his strategy is.

Oh good, I'm glad somebody knows what the heck I'm doing! Can you help me out with my next few picks? Because I don't have a clue. O:-) :-b

:-° Yeah, I took a chance. Thought it gave me a better opportunity to complete front to back. We'll see where it takes me.
The Thrill
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)

Postby CavemanDoctor » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:31 pm

Rounders Block selects.

4.6 Antawn Jamison (F - Was)
CavemanDoctor
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Re: 2008-2009 First Division Roto League Draft Thread

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:36 pm

2.08 Deron Williams (PG - UTA)

Don't forget to PM, Lebron. ;-)
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 708)

Postby ugk34 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:56 pm

4.07 Joe Johnson (G-ATL)
ugk34
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 8)

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Octagon