I'm debating whether to buy... - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Basketball Cards and Memorabilia

I'm debating whether to buy...

I'm debating whether to buy...

Postby The Thrill » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:45 pm

3 McFarlane figures (mini) that I saw at a discount store the other day. They caught my eye like 3 months ago and at the time I decided I didn't want to spend the $9 ($3 each, and yes, I'm weird that way contemplating whether to spend $9, or not).

Anyway, I went to the store two days ago and saw they were still there. Yep, decided to pass on them again. :-b

Yet, somehow, here I sit at the office thinking about maybe I do, in fact, want to go pick those up. :*)

I remember one is Ben Wallace (DET), another is, I think, Jermaine O'Neal and I really can't remember the 3rd. Iverson maybe?

So, what do you think? (Thrill is a lunatic comments aside)
The Thrill
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: I'm debating whether to buy...

Postby plonden » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:04 pm

I know a guy who recently got laid off from MacFarlane in AZ. He has tons of these toys and used to be able to get gobs of them for free. But to answer your dilemma, no way am I spending $3 on Jermaine the Drain O'Neal. I can get behind Wallace in the Detroit days (well... the prior Detroit days) but unless I know the third it is hard to say.

Do you have to buy them all or can you buy individual ones separately?
plonden
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 81)

Postby The Thrill » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:25 pm

I can buy them separately ($3 a piece). But I'm an all or nothin' kinda guy. :-b

That's unfortunate that guy was laid off. McFarlane's got some of the best sports figures/collectibles out there. I try to do my part. :,-(

[but I must admit, I can't stand the Spawn or Kiss or whatever else comic book type junk they got going on] }:-)
The Thrill
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Rizzo » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:06 pm

I would say go for it. If it's Ben on the Pistons, Jermaine on the Pacers, then it sounds like you can just say they are vintage collectibles. If the third is Iverson on the 76ers, I don't see how you can say no! :-D
Rizzo
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Nene » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:30 am

If one is Iverson, i am buying no matter what the other 2 are.
Nene Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby The Thrill » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:53 pm

I didn't buy any of them that time around.

Though I have picked up a few others (McFarlane and Starting Lineup) since then. Even let my kids play with them. :-o Mostly baseball (a few hockey, football and basketball). I'm pretty much exclusively collecting baseball now and need to price out and sell off my basketball collectibles (which consists of mostly Golden State Warriors and San Antonio Spurs cards --- notably a somewhat large Tim Hardaway collection and a Karl Malone RC). O:-)
The Thrill
Mod in Retirement

Return to Basketball Cards and Memorabilia