Rotoworld updates... Ugh... - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leftovers

Rotoworld updates... Ugh...

Moderator: Basketball Moderators

Rotoworld updates... Ugh...

Postby HurricaneCat » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:19 am

Is it just me, or are the Rotoworld updates becoming a little....shall we say, lower quality?

Chris Paul hit 14-of-23 shots and three more 3-pointers on his way to a season-high 39 points to go along with five rebounds, seven assists and two steals in a tough win over the Mavericks.
Paul is now 12-of-15 from downtown on the season, and with his slew of 2-game weeks coming up, it might be a good time to try to sell high on him. Just make sure you get a ton of talent in return, as he is still arguably the best fantasy player out there.

Might want to sell high on Chris Paul 1 week into the season? Any owner who drafted Chris Paul and knows what he is doing built his team around this fantasy monster. In a competitive league you basically CAN'T trade CP3 because he's just too good and any deal you get offered will be a 2 for 1 or 3 for 2, which I think everybody can agree is generally not the best strategy when you are the one getting the extra players. MAYBE you want to trade him for LBJ straight up up, but that's about it. But again, if you drafted Paul you probably drafted the rest of your team knowing that you had steals and assists as strengths, and thus you probably don't want to trade for LBJ.

I don't have the motivation to go look up other ones, but some of the recent ones are really making me shake my head.
HurricaneCat
Playground Pundit
Playground Pundit

Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Rotoworld updates... Ugh...

Postby AllDay » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:31 am

Trade him for Rondo straight up. You know you are jealous of the Rondo owner and want to be him.
AllDay
Playground Pundit
Playground Pundit

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hi chi » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:01 am

AllDay wrote:Trade him for Rondo straight up. You know you are jealous of the Rondo owner and want to be him.

X-I
hi chi
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 130)

Postby AllDay » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:15 am

Rondo was apparently taunting Paul all game Sunday when the two teams squared off. Among his supposed taunts were, "I've got a ring, and you're never gonna win one." He also reportedly told Paul that he (Paul) wishes he were him (Rondo).
AllDay
Playground Pundit
Playground Pundit

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Turmoil » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:14 pm

Paul + scrub + scrub = Stud + stud

And if you drafted Paul, maybe you already knew he had a bad run of games early and thus planned to trade all along.

Don't see much wrong with the advice, especially if you felt you needed to get a good start in the season in a competitive H2H comp.
Turmoil
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby mbuser » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:54 pm

the problem with the advice is that "selling high" should never be used to describe anything involving chris paul. are they also anticipating a "buy low" scenario right before NOR goes on a streak of sharing the most team games in 9 of 11 weeks (wks 11-21)? my advice would be to not trade chris paul exclusively because of a few slow weeks in nov/dec
mbuser
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 3)

Postby plonden » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:58 pm

I agree with Hurricane Cat's original contention (leaving the specific CP3 example aside). The Rotoworld blurbs tend to leave out fairly important information to make their point. For example, on a night when someone has something absurd like 7 or 8 turnovers, they will leave it out while only mentioning all the good stats they accumulated. Or, if a guy drops 20 points on 20 percent shooting they draw attention to the points without mentioning the efficiency. You can't mention the positives without also mention the negatives. It's cherry picking and misleading to those who aren't knowledgeable enough to look at the whole picture.
plonden
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 51)

Postby RedHopeful » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:26 pm

plonden wrote:I agree with Hurricane Cat's original contention (leaving the specific CP3 example aside). The Rotoworld blurbs tend to leave out fairly important information to make their point. For example, on a night when someone has something absurd like 7 or 8 turnovers, they will leave it out while only mentioning all the good stats they accumulated. Or, if a guy drops 20 points on 20 percent shooting they draw attention to the points without mentioning the efficiency. You can't mention the positives without also mention the negatives. It's cherry picking and misleading to those who aren't knowledgeable enough to look at the whole picture.

Good point plonden ... it's all the more reason fantasy owners need to learn to READ for themselves. ;-7

With so much bias out there, one should try to not rely on second hand information (guess that applies in a lot of other areas of life as well). :*)
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 601)

Postby phx_2008_champs » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:02 pm

mbuser wrote:the problem with the advice is that "selling high" should never be used to describe anything involving chris paul. are they also anticipating a "buy low" scenario right before NOR goes on a streak of sharing the most team games in 9 of 11 weeks (wks 11-21)? my advice would be to not trade chris paul exclusively because of a few slow weeks in nov/dec

My only real complaint is that he's making it really hard for me to punt threes. :-D

Seriously though, his lines have been great but his #1 value has more to do with points, threes and a ridiculous shooting percentage than it does his steals or assists so far. He shot 61% from the field yesterday and his overall FG% dropped. Same goes with his 3PT%...3/4 last night actually lowered his 3PT%. :-L I can understand why people would worry about his value dropping when his FG% comes back down to earth. In order for him to maintain the #1 spot, his assists/steals will have to increase to make up for the fact that Paul's FG% is going to drop. The questions are: Can his teammates come through and make more of those shots he's setting them up for? and: Can he bring his steal numbers back up to 2.5 or 3 per game? I think the answer to both of those is yes but it's a reason for concern.
phx_2008_champs
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby HurricaneCat » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:44 pm

Turmoil wrote:Paul + scrub + scrub = Stud + stud

And if you drafted Paul, maybe you already knew he had a bad run of games early and thus planned to trade all along.

Don't see much wrong with the advice, especially if you felt you needed to get a good start in the season in a competitive H2H comp.

The problem with this is that CP3 + a scrub is so good it's STILL better than most combinations of 2 studs an opposing manage could realistically offer.

mbuser wrote:the problem with the advice is that "selling high" should never be used to describe anything involving chris paul. are they also anticipating a "buy low" scenario right before NOR goes on a streak of sharing the most team games in 9 of 11 weeks (wks 11-21)? my advice would be to not trade chris paul exclusively because of a few slow weeks in nov/dec

exactly. "sell high" and "Chris Paul" just don't belong in the same thought at this point in Paul's career.

phx_2008_champs wrote:Seriously though, his lines have been great but his #1 value has more to do with points, threes and a ridiculous shooting percentage than it does his steals or assists so far. He shot 61% from the field yesterday and his overall FG% dropped. Same goes with his 3PT%...3/4 last night actually lowered his 3PT%. :-L I can understand why people would worry about his value dropping when his FG% comes back down to earth. In order for him to maintain the #1 spot, his assists/steals will have to increase to make up for the fact that Paul's FG% is going to drop. The questions are: Can his teammates come through and make more of those shots he's setting them up for? and: Can he bring his steal numbers back up to 2.5 or 3 per game? I think the answer to both of those is yes but it's a reason for concern.

Yes, his assists and steals have been down and scoring, FG%, and 3s are up, but his games played right now is a tiny sample. His assists and steals will definitely come up, just as assuredly as his FG% will come down. The 3's, I am not sure about, but this should EVEN FURTHER reinforce the concept that there is no such thing as selling high on CP3. He's the best roto player in the game and he STILL has upside in three pointers compared to his numbers last year.

plonden wrote:I agree with Hurricane Cat's original contention (leaving the specific CP3 example aside). The Rotoworld blurbs tend to leave out fairly important information to make their point. For example, on a night when someone has something absurd like 7 or 8 turnovers, they will leave it out while only mentioning all the good stats they accumulated. Or, if a guy drops 20 points on 20 percent shooting they draw attention to the points without mentioning the efficiency. You can't mention the positives without also mention the negatives. It's cherry picking and misleading to those who aren't knowledgeable enough to look at the whole picture.

And finally, yes, my overall comment was directed toward the recent questionable commentary of RW, of which the CP3 update is just 1 recent example.
HurricaneCat
Playground Pundit
Playground Pundit

Next

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leftovers