Seriously Toronto? - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

Seriously Toronto?

Moderator: Basketball Moderators

Seriously Toronto?

Postby silentjim » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:14 pm

Honestly, how is Toronto so bad? With Noah out the Bulls looked pretty much done for, but have started to play a little better of late and are now only a half a game back of Toronto for the last playoff spot.

I keep saying that Toronto should easily be able to just start winning games, but they can't. What is there problem? Everyone keeps saying Bosh is jumping ship and looks unmotivated of late, but still.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 792)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Seriously Toronto?

Postby baller crimson » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:38 pm

Nobody plays defense on that team.
baller crimson
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby KalElen » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:13 pm

baller crimson wrote:Nobody plays defense on that team.

that's first thing that comes to my mind too. plus calderon/hedo are underachieving big time, as far as i can tell. haven't seen them all that much this year
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby RedHopeful » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:33 pm

Honestly, Toronto isn't a very good team with a number of parts that have failed to fit well. Moreover, Triano hasn't been able to get this team to develop an identity much less a defensive presence. Now he's juggling the lineup in an effort to get to the postseason while reports surface that one of their stars are parading around at clubs while being "sick."

Where is Fenris to give us a detailed breakdown of this train derailment? ;-7
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 706)

Postby bujfan2030 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:58 am

I've heard some critics say he (Bosh) probably doesn't deserve a max contract, because of his inability to lead this team. I'm half convinced he's not all the way back from the last injury. Effort's never been an issue for him as far as I know. Still trying to get the rest of this team to play D must be pretty wearing. Especially because they proved earlier in the season they are capable of it.
Super Sneaky Hops
bujfan2030
Head Coach
Head Coach

Response TeamLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 96)

Postby RedHopeful » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:22 pm

Wow, Bosh going down with injury might be Toronto's KO. 8-o
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Fenris-77 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:50 am

Yup, I fully expect the Raps to miss the playoffs at this point, although I slo think that's not the worst outcome for the team either.

It's not all doom and gloom either. DeRozan and especially Weems have been quite good, and I like what Johnson and Wright have managed to bring to the table as well. However, if we want to move on to derailment...

1. Starting Jose. Terrible idea, just bloody terrible. Jack had played more than well enough to keep his starting role, and picking Jose despite that sends entirely the wrong message. Plus Jose's D is just as bad as in previous seasons. Yuck.

2. Not benching Bargs sooner. Bargnani needs to be held responsible for his lacadasical play, and benching him sooner would have accomplished that. I'm not saying he should have been benched entirely, just that he should have gotten a quicker hook when he was playing sleepy-time defense and rebounding.

3. A lack of disciplne for Turk. His whole I'm sick, but not to sick to party routine should have been slapped down from on high. A gentle benching doesn't send the same message.

4. A lack of direction from the top. Triano and B-Co needed to step up and be far more clear and detailed about expectations and consequences for the whole team. Guys are just floating through games and there hasn't been any consequences for that kind of shizz. Somebody needed to play bad cop for this roster but no one stepped up.

The talent on the roster is there for them to have been much better than they have been. However, unrealized potential is like an afternoon crap - it's jusy a niggling urge of no real importance until it hits the bowl.

I'd also like to take this time to issue a AAA travel advisory to avoid any Raps-centric boards for at least 2 or 3 weeks. The levels of stupidity, bigotry, and general douche-baggery are at all time highs, and it's really no fun for anyone involved.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 410)

Postby RedHopeful » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:44 pm

Nice rundown Fenris and thanks for the headsup on visiting Raptor fan sites. :-D

Someone should have made Reggie Evans the bad cop. ;-7
RedHopeful

Postby KalElen » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:10 pm

by no means am i an expert on raps, but from they one, i hated turk's contract. i can't tell you how relieved i was when balzers dodged that bullet. fernis pointed out on one occasion that raps needed a splash and that turk was best fa available, which might be true, but free agency isn't the only way to improve. rolling the dice one somebody like r-jeff (via trade) would be much better for them then giving, what almost everyone knew was a bad contract, to turk. there were teams looking to dump contracts and that was much better way to spend money last summer, then what pistons and raps did. that was the root of the problem, in my humble opinion
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Fenris-77 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:00 pm

Turk's contract is terrible, but you can't look at it in isolation. The Turk siging also freed up the room to trade for Weems and Johnson and also the salary flex and roster space to add Jarret Jack. If you take a look at what the Raps roster would have looked like without those guys you see pretty quickly that it would have assuredly been a lot worse than what he have currently (since those three guys ahve been three bright spots this season). There are some other moves that might have worked out better, but I'm not sure RJ is one of those moves - he was dreadfull almost all year until right at the end here, so I really don't think he would have been a more positive addition than Turk (although at the time I might have agreed with you).

The optics of the Turk signing remain an important part of why it happened too, and my rationnel there haven't changed.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 410)

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting