Slumping Lakers? - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

Slumping Lakers?

Moderator: Basketball Moderators

Slumping Lakers?

Postby bujfan2030 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:20 am

Via ESPN Truehoop
Arash Markazi of ESPNLosAngeles.com: "It's one of the great myths in the NBA -- one that seemingly is debunked on a nightly basis but continues to live on for some mysterious reason that belies all statistical and visual evidence. At some point in time, someone somewhere decided to label the Lakers as a 'deep team.' Over the past two seasons, you've heard how good the Lakers' roster is from 1 to 12 and how their bench is able to sustain leads and how everyone on this team knows his role. Nothing could be further from the truth. The Lakers are not a deep team. They're not even a shallow team. They're a rock-solid, one-floor building with a shaky basement that probably would fail inspection. Unfortunately for the Lakers, they've had to venture to their basement-dwelling bench recently because of injuries to Andrew Bynum and Luke Walton. As a result, their bench players have been exposed for what they've always been -- streaky shooters, talented cheerleaders and the biggest weakness on a team with a Grand Canyon-sized drop-off in talent from their top five players to the rest of the roster."
I have to say I've been enjoying the Laker Struggles of late, but I haven't seen enough consistency from anyone in the West to get my hopes up. Maybe Dallas. But they're 5-5 in their last 10 while the "struggling Lakers are 7-3.

Hoopdata's Four Factors http://www.hoopdata.com/recent.aspx?aid=184 still show's the Lakers as the most balanced team in the West even if they've had some dropoff
Within the framework of four factors analysis, the Lakers look like they don't have a weakness as everyone of their figures ranks better than the norm with the exception of their ability to get to the free throw line. However, their effective field goal percentage sticks out in the company of the other contenders. Last season, the Lakers posted a 51.3 eFG% during the regular season of their championship campaign but that number has dropped slightly this season. Kobe Bryant (49.2 eFG%) and Derek Fisher (45.4 eFG%) have each seen their shooting percentages dip this year.
The obviously really need Bynum healthy.
Super Sneaky Hops
bujfan2030
Head Coach
Head Coach

Response TeamLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 96)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Slumping Lakers?

Postby silentjim » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:35 pm

Yeah, I said when Dallas made the trade for Haywood and Butler that I thought they could make overtake Denver for the 2nd seed, and despite struggling a bit of late, I see them and quite a few others as possible upsetters. The Lakers are good even in bad stretches, but to say its a foregone conclusion that the Lakes come out of the West like most people on TV are suggesting is just old school bias. Look at personnel match-ups and what each team has to offer against the Lakers. Anything is possible, maybe not likely but possible.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 792)

Postby RedHopeful » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:06 am

Only LA - they lost like 3 of 4 and the media panicked. ;-7

By the way, Markazi's article is like months way too late. Our very own plonden did an article awhile back questioning the Lakers depth over at BFFA.
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 706)

Postby samo » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:36 am

Very, very few NBA titles are won with depth. Its almost always a couple stars and some solid role guys. Laker's have that, but so do a few other teams, so it should be on in the playoffs. Would not want to be guarding LeBron.
samo
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:04 pm

Even though they've lost 4 of 5, is it really that troubling? Last night, no Bynum or Kobe, Denver PLAYED to win and it was in their place. Lakers came within a breath of beating them...
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 706)

Postby silentjim » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:10 pm

RedHopeful wrote:Even though they've lost 4 of 5, is it really that troubling? Last night, no Bynum or Kobe, Denver PLAYED to win and it was in their place. Lakers came within a breath of beating them...

I wouldn't say troubling, but I still think it shows a chink in the armor.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 792)

Postby bujfan2030 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:18 pm

Via ESPN Truehoop: Darius from Forum Blue and Gold on another Laker loss: "For the fourth time in five games the Lakers lost. But unlike those other games, I don’t feel the same sense of anger or frustration that stems from blowouts where poor play is out done by even poorer urgency to win. Tonight, against the Nuggets, the Lakers fought and came up short. They had a very good chance to win but were out executed down the stretch by the team that had the best player on the floor making crucial buckets to win the game. And while watching the other team do the things that you wish the Lakers would is frustrating, the overall feeling that I get from this game is that the Lakers are getting closer. Closer to playing well, closer to being ready for the playoffs, closer to having the necessary mindset that they’ll need to defend their title."
I'm not sure the Lakers want to hang their hat on how well they played Denver. Denver is nowhere near playing their best basketball. And without Bynum they lose one of their key advantages against other teams in the west, namely their front lines size.
Super Sneaky Hops
bujfan2030
Head Coach
Head Coach

Response TeamLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 96)

Postby KalElen » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:49 pm

RedHopeful wrote:Even though they've lost 4 of 5, is it really that troubling? Last night, no Bynum or Kobe, Denver PLAYED to win and it was in their place. Lakers came within a breath of beating them...

old pop trick. he used to do this all the time when spurs were still a contender. mavs' and suns' morale were usually broken even before the play-offs started
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting