Round Two: Bos v. Cle - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

Round Two: Bos v. Cle

Moderator: Basketball Moderators

Re: Round Two: Bos v. Cle

Postby Fenris-77 » Wed May 12, 2010 9:22 pm

A "medical professional close to LeBron James" is saying that he's actually got a torn ligament in his elbow that he's trying to play through. Truth? Smokescreen? I have no idea.

Here's the article.
Last edited by Fenris-77 on Thu May 13, 2010 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 410)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby deadshot11 » Wed May 12, 2010 9:38 pm

silentjim wrote:I'm going to play conspiracy theorist and ask whether or not its possible Lebron is intentionally losing? He didn't look like he was trying in last night's game and many have suggested if the Cavs lose he's going to play elsewhere. Is it possible Lebron isn't playing 100% to say in a few months the Cavs aren't a title winning team and he wants to go somewhere else to have that chance?

I wouldn't be surprised if that thought's in his head and he uses it as an excuse if they lose and he leaves. However, I have a hard time believing that he let something like affect this series in any tangible way. Part of him having a big ego also means he needs to legitimize his greatness with a championship, and you don't throw away a chance like this when your team is this close, having the best record in the regular season and homecourt through the Finals. It's possible he's taking for granted that he'll have a lot more chances at a title in his career, but I'm leaning more toward seeing this as an opportunity he should/needs to take.

If he loses and leaves, he'll merely be remembered in Cle as the guy that made them exciting for a while. I don't think he wants to be the equivalent of what Vince Carter did for Toronto.
deadshot11
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 27)

Postby silentjim » Wed May 12, 2010 9:46 pm

Fenris-77 wrote:A "medical professional close to LeBron James" is saying that he's actually got a torn ligament in his elbow that he's trying to play through. Truth? Smokescreen? I have no idea.
[url=http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/66534/20100512/lebron_could_have_torn_ligament_in_elbow/]
Here's the article.[/url]

I read this as well, but I just don't get what athletes are thinking. I know he wants to keep saying "No excuses", but what harm would saying my elbow is hurting, but I'm going to play through it cause? If it does turn out he's injured and denied it and etc, I think its more about his ego than the actual game itself.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 792)

Postby Chilli Pepper » Thu May 13, 2010 12:26 am

Chilli Pepper
Playground Pundit
Playground Pundit

Postby Yilun » Thu May 13, 2010 12:57 am

First time we saw this happen to Cavs, we thought "give LBJ some time and he's going to become a dominant force that will rip through the post-season in a couple of years"

Second time we saw this happen to Cavs, we thought "LBJ doesn't have enough help, the Cavs need to surround him with players"

Third time we saw this happen to Cavs, we thought "Cavs need a big guy, they can't hang with the big bodies of East like D12"

So Cavs have addressed all of these concerns. LBJ has Shaq, Mo, Jamison now with a plethora of healthy role players.
I don't think the problem is with the personnel anymore on paper. I think the problem is with LBJ himself and probably just the entire team's mentality in general. I think the problem is also the coach.

Mike Brown is officially a post-season choker. He basically goes into cruise-control in the regular season because he has one of the best talents in the world on his team. It feels like the Cavs put more effort into obtaining the best regular season record than they are doing when it actually counts (when everyone else is putting forward their best fight). When it comes down to figuring out a game-plan to zero in on an opponent and neutralize them, Brown's drawing blank.

I mean, at this point in the season, if you're still shuffling your lineup around trying to find the best rotation, you've got a serious problem. He's panic-coaching. Switching up defenders on Rondo. Suddenly using Big Z in game 5 randomly (where was he in the first 4 games when they actually needed him?). Why isn't Hickson playing WAY more than he should? He can't decide when to use Shaq and when to pull Shaq. He has no answer to Boston's plan of attack. He basically lacks a plan of attack himself.

Cavs offense: LBJ gets a pick, passive drive around the pick, pump fakes, passes if off to Parker. Parker head fakes, drives 1 dribble, kicks it to Delonte. Delonte head fakes, drives, pounds the ball, has no where to go. Parker sets a pick, Delonte drives, pump fakes, kicks it out to Parker, Parker bricks a trey. Awful, horrible offense with no execution, no game-plan, no focus of attack, no strategy, no nothing.

Why is it that in a game of this magnitude LBJ is only attempting 14 shots? If his elbow is hurting, wouldn't it actually make MORE sense for him to dribble drive aggressively and take it to the hole rather than shooting fade-away jumpers? As far as I know, the rest of his body parts are just fine.

It appears to me that LBJ and company have always felt "entitled" to something they haven't earned one bit. Every season, they are the regular season champs and they feel like they are "entitled" to a smooth-sailing cruise to the Finals where the King will be crowned. When they hit a bump or get challenged, they fold under pressure. Even the fans are probably thinking "Hey! Boston! You're not supposed to do that!" I think that kind of mindset is why they are losing every single year. They aren't battle-tested at all. And imo, that's either the coach's fault or it's the fault of the best player on the team. Frankly, Shaq was the only player last night who actually looked like he was playing with a passion and a sense of urgency. LBJ looked bored, dejected, and not engaged whatsoever in the game. What gives?

The truth is, the Cavs have proved nothing other than they are an above-average team. But while other teams kick it up a notch in the post-season, the Cavs regress. And this is an on-going phenomenon that has occurred in each of the past 3 years so far. LBJ is peaking right now. If he's going start a legacy, he should be pouncing on the opportunity now. Instead, it's almost as if he's shellshocked by his own limelight. He's not living up to his bill and he's not living up to the huge expectations that everyone has been putting on him. He's crumbling under the pressure.

In each regular season game, it's almost as if LBJ uses these as a nightly stage to showcase his brilliance and basketball genius. It's all fun and games. It's all handshakes and dances. But when the post-season arrives and the boxscore no longer matters in the wake of a much bigger prize (the title), the glitz and glamor of the Cavs seems to fizzle and fade.

It seems likely that he's poised himself to leave Cleveland as a free agent in the offseason. What he doesn't seem to understand is that this chance he has right now might be his best hope for a championship in years to come. It's safe to say that if James ultimately leaves for a team whose not positioned to be an immediate championship contender, he may very well end up being the best player never to have won a championship.

He doesn't seem to be dancing now it seems.
*rocking the new blamer sig*
Yilun
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 10)
Location: The confines of reality are too grand for my imaginative capacity

Postby Yilun » Thu May 13, 2010 3:51 am

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AqRPA1Aigg_9Mn_ijPrTy928vLYF?slug=aw-lebroncavs051210

Kinda mirrors my words. Couldn't have said it better myself.

I especially like this part:
This wasn’t the night to feel bad for himself. There’s been enough pity for him in this series. As much as anything these past two years, the Cavaliers have taken on James’ persona: Entitled, arrogant and expectant that the sheer divine right of his greatness will win them a ring. Only, the Celtics are proud, old champions arisen out of the rubble and on the brink of closing out the Cavaliers on Thursday night at the Boston Garden. No one saw this coming on Tuesday night, the surgical removal of the Cavaliers’ hearts surrounded with a stunned silence that devolved into the debris of boos

I guess it's not just me.

And to make matters worse, James was quoted after the game:
“I spoil a lot of people with my play. When you have three bad games in seven years, it’s easy to point them out.”

Are you frickin' kidding me? Ok... are you just being sarcastic or are you really that ignorant? As the torchbearer for all things Cleveland and his devout fans... this is the BEST thing you can say after THAT humiliating game 5 loss at home? Right buddy.
Yilun
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Fenris-77 » Thu May 13, 2010 8:19 am

Comments like that just serve to cement my complete dislike for the guy. He's a big enough douche that I'm actually glad he doesn't play for a team I cheer for. That saves me being conflicted about cheering for a guy I really don't like. I don't like Garnett either, but I do like Boston as a franchise, so ... go Celtics.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 410)

Postby silentjim » Thu May 13, 2010 2:34 pm

Good find Yilun and good post.

Everyone seems to be getting that vibe from Lebron and I'm glad guys like Noah called him out. It's like the A-Rod and Dallas Braden squabble. Just because you're good doesn't mean the rules don't apply to you.

This attitude makes it seem more and more likely that he goes and plays in New York in my mind. Even if they can beat the Celtics in this series I don't think they can beat the Magic or the winner of the Suns and Lakers series.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 792)

Postby RedHopeful » Thu May 13, 2010 3:11 pm

Heard a good argument this morning on why Lebron WON'T go anywhere.

First, you don't quit a job because of a bad week. Pretty much, this is what looks like might happen to Lebron and the Cav's. Been flying high and then they run into the playoff-tested Celtic buzzsaw. You don't quit a job because of that do you?

Two, he'd be painted in a very negative light. His legacy after 7 years - pathetic. He got the help around him by management but when things got rough, he leaves town. Who wants a player like that? Management? Fans? I get the whole best player and brings a ton of money thing, but at the end of the day, what are you getting? Let's face it, he hasn't won anything so is he really as good as what we all make him out to be? More importantly, you just know it has to be bothering Lebron. No matter what we think of this guy, I'll bet anything he cares. You don't walk off the court w/o shaking hands in last years ECF if this stuff doesn't bother you.

Three, are their teams out there that could sign him any closer to winning a championship? Knicks - :-b Nets - :-D . Chicago - :*) Clippers - :-o . Doesn't really look like it. He has made a few hints that Cleveland is his home plus we know the Cav's can pay him the most. Can he really be drawn to leave town when it doesn't look like it's not in his best interests?

As I stated earlier, Brown and Lebron don't seem to work. The more I think about it, if the Cav's are bounced, we can all say goodbye to Mike Brown.
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 706)

Postby Yilun » Thu May 13, 2010 7:33 pm

I think so far, all evidence points to LBJ basically putting his own marketing image and divinity before the actual goal of winning a championship and establishing a legacy as a "good" basketball player.

Because of that, it's why I think he'll go to some place like New York just so he can have the spotlight re-casted on him since the glamour seems to be wearing off in Cleveland.

The only thing that I could imagine which would keep him in Cleveland is if his master plan all along has been to tease us with the notion that he's leaving only to break the news to the world that he'll remain a Cav for life and be known as the "hero" of his city. Again, this kind of stunt would only serve to further his own image.

I think until LBJ can learn to put the team and organization before himself, he's not going to find actual success on the court.
Yilun
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting