Finals: BOS-LAL - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

Finals: BOS-LAL

Moderator: Basketball Moderators

Finals: BOS-LAL

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:45 am

Very little out of Odom but Lakers still up 15 with a little over 5 minutes to go. Lakers have really stuck to a solid gameplan. It seems Kobe still is pretty hot coming off the PHX series but they've made a concerted effort in getting the bigs going.

One thing I have definitely not liked is all these phantom calls (seems like the replays have affirmed that called fouls haven't been right a lot). Quit calling it so tight that it's put a ton of players into foul trouble. It's the finals - let the boys play.
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 703)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Finals: BOS-LAL

Postby deadshot11 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:02 am

Definitely too many foul calls, though it did seem pretty even on both sides. Would rather just see them let the teams play since it's the Finals.

Solid game for the Lakers. They just looked like the better team tonight. I don't know if the Celtics have enough in them to win four games in the series. It didn't look like it tonight. Pierce can't take over like he did two years ago. And Garnett looked really old tonight. He just doesn't have that fire. He had one where he was wide open under the rim, got the pass, and lost the ball going up to dunk it or lay it in. And then bobbled it again trying to tip. He looked like he didn't even get it up to the rim on the first attempt. Then in the 4th quarter, he threw an upcourt outlet pass to Ray Allen that was far enough off target that Allen couldn't handle it and it flew out of bounds. He just doesn't look like he can impose his will on the game anymore, and that was half of what made him so good in the past.

Not saying the C's don't have a chance. Just saying both teams seemed to have some nerves that showed in the 1st quarter. The Lakers didn't play a perfect game either. Yet they held a pretty solid lead all the way through. I think Rondo's basically gonna have to be the Finals MVP for Boston to have a shot.
deadshot11
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 27)

Postby deadshot11 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:06 am

Oh yeah, also, I think the Lakers have definitely toughened up since 2008, especially mentally. You could see Sheed just throwing around blatant fouls in the 4th, especially against Gasol, trying to knock the Lakers off their game with physical toughness. But it didn't seem to phase Pau at all this time, which is a big step forward from two years ago when Gasol basically hid in his shell most of the series.

They also showed a clip of Chris Rock sitting right next to Kobe, with Rock going on telling jokes, and Kobe staring off in concentration, not even hearing the chatter. Kobe and Fish have this team really focused.
deadshot11
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby baller crimson » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:35 pm

Sweet shooting by Ray last night...broke a Finals record. :-B
baller crimson
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby deadshot11 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:51 am

Way too many fouls called in Game 2, starting to look that way in Game 3 (thought the C's aren't giving the refs too much choice).

Celtics started the game hot, with a 12-5 lead, but all those 12 points were from Rondo and Garnett. But now the Lakers are up by 13 five minutes into the 2nd. Boston looks like it has no offense without Rondo (and now Nate Robinson in the game). And why are the Lakers playing with both Pau and Kobe on the bench? Two or three straight possessions where they look like they have no options.
deadshot11
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby deadshot11 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:43 am

Wow, Fisher might have just won the game. 48 seconds left, Fisher's running the ball up the court by himself, all the Celtics are lazily running back, Fisher gets around his guy and goes straight to the hoop, a half step ahead of three green jerseys, hits the lay up high off the glass and gets the foul for the 3 pt play.

Kobe's been quiet in the 4th, and Fish is making all the plays.
deadshot11
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby deadshot11 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:02 am

Game's over. Lots of crazy stuff from this game. Fisher's crying as he's getting interviewed right after the game right now. He basically won the game by himself in the 4th. 11 pts, lots of tough shots. Ray Allen set the record for eight 3 pters last game, and then almost sets the record for the worst shooting in a Finals game tonight (he went 0-13, and the record's 0-14). They used replay three times in the last 2 minutes, a new rule, to determine possession on balls tipped out of bounds. On one of the replays, the replay clearly showed that the ball went off Odom, but it also clearly showed that it was because Rondo fouled him on the arm. But since only possession is allowed to be reviewed on replay, the Celtics get the ball and no foul is called. Nate Robinson gave a couple inspired helpful minutes in Game 2, and gets yelled at in a timeout for how he was running the offensive in the first half of Game 3 (and didn't get much burn afterwards, though he did hit a 3). And it was interesting that all game Gasol was complaining to the refs that Garnett was shoving him everytime Gasol was defending him, and they finally call an offensive foul on Garnett for shoving on a crucial play down the stretch in the last couple minutes.

Lakers take home court advantage back. Honestly, they just look like the better team after tonight and Game 1. In Game 2, it took Ray Allen shooting the lights out for them to even be in the game, as the Lakers still took a slight lead at one point in the 4th.
deadshot11
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yilun » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:11 am

I should have posted this before the series started because it would have made me really look like I knew what I was talking about ;-)
But, I told my co-worker before the series started that Boston will live and die by Ray Allen.

Kobe can really keep Rondo in check like he did tonight. Artest has been suffocating Pierce all series long. Bynum/Gasol are too long for KG (even though KG was extremely aggressive tonight and had a good game).
The one person who could really roam and light the Lakers up was Ray Allen. In game 2, Allen was shooting lights out and that really caused the Laker defense to scramble and be scattered. Everyone was so concern about the off-ball picks that were being set for Ray and switching/closing out, etc. This really opened up the floor for players like Rondo to penetrate and then dish off to his bigs.

When Ray misses, Laker defense play closer to the basket and clogs the lane. Odom/Bynum/Gasol are so long that Boston really has a hard time penetrating the ball.

I mean, Lakers played a really ugly game tonight and still pretty much led the entire game and was able to close out Boston in the final minutes. Now imagine if Ray, instead of being 0-7 from downtown, went 4-7 instead. Boston would have won the game.
*rocking the new blamer sig*
Yilun
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 10)
Location: The confines of reality are too grand for my imaginative capacity

Postby RedHopeful » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:09 pm

All I care to say is WoW, did anyone notice bad Kobe showed up? :-o
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:48 pm

Big Baby unstoppable? :-S

Nate Robinson an enormoous asset? :-o

What is going on here! :-B
RedHopeful

Next

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting