Finals: BOS-LAL - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

Finals: BOS-LAL

Moderator: Basketball Moderators

Re: Finals: BOS-LAL

Postby silentjim » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:18 pm

Yeah, I could understand doing a 2-3-2 for all other series except the finals to save on travel money and to shorten the series time, but having only the finals 2-3-2 doesn't make any sense to me either.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 792)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby deadshot11 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:31 pm

All the series are 2-2-1-1-1 except for the Finals. The old thinking was that since West is playing West and East is playing East in the first three rounds, there's less travel and time change involved. They had the Finals set up 2-3-2 because of increased travel and time change.

Myself, I don't know how much the travel and time change matter anymore. Teams are used to flying to much and playing in different time zones (and the games are basically at the same time everyday AFTER adjusting for time zone), I don't know how much it affects the players anymore. Especially with charter flights and all. So I could see it fine moving back to 2-2-1-1-1. Though if the players think it's too rough to do that across three time zones, I'd be ok leaving it at 2-3-2.

I agree it's harder to win those middle three in a row though. Especially since playoff series are all about adjustments.
deadshot11
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 27)

Postby silentjim » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:53 pm

deadshot11 wrote:All the series are 2-2-1-1-1 except for the Finals. The old thinking was that since West is playing West and East is playing East in the first three rounds, there's less travel and time change involved. They had the Finals set up 2-3-2 because of increased travel and time change.

Myself, I don't know how much the travel and time change matter anymore. Teams are used to flying to much and playing in different time zones (and the games are basically at the same time everyday AFTER adjusting for time zone), I don't know how much it affects the players anymore. Especially with charter flights and all. So I could see it fine moving back to 2-2-1-1-1. Though if the players think it's too rough to do that across three time zones, I'd be ok leaving it at 2-3-2.

I agree it's harder to win those middle three in a row though. Especially since playoff series are all about adjustments.

Boston and LA I guess are about as far apart as you can get. :-D

I'm actually for making early rounds 5 game series again as well, but from a financial perspective I realize that's not happening.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby silentjim » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:23 pm

Perkin's tore his PCL and MCL and won't play in game 7. You have to question his status for next year at some point as well.
silentjim

Postby deadshot11 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:02 pm

I heard the term "strained", which means partial tear. Much different than recovering from a full tear, although it's still bad.
deadshot11
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 27)

Postby silentjim » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:43 pm

Strain was the initial diagnosis, but not anymore:
LOS ANGELES -- Boston Celtics center Kendrick Perkins told reporters at Wednesday's media session that he tore two ligaments in his right knee in Tuesday's NBA Finals Game 6 loss to the Los Angeles Lakers and will be sidelined for Thursday's decisive Game 7.

Perkins, arriving at the courtside podium on crutches with bandages around his knee, revealed that he tore the medial collateral and posterior cruciate ligaments. He underwent X-rays on the knee Tuesday night and was informed of the severity of the injury by team trainer Ed Lacerte on Wednesday morning.

He will undergo an MRI on Friday in Boston to further assess the damage.

"Physically, I'm in pain," Perkins said. "I hurt my knee pretty badly. I'm out for tomorrow. There's nothing I could do about it. It's a torn MCL and torn PCL, so I gotta watch from the sideline."

Perkins landed awkwardly trying to haul in an offensive rebound midway through the first quarter of Game 6 and suffered what was originally diagnosed as a knee sprain.

"I knew something was wrong," Perkins said. "I didn't know exactly what it was, but I couldn't get up on my own. I couldn't walk. My whole leg was hurting, and the back of my knee was in pain. I heard something pop, but I didn't know what it was. It was just painful."

Perkins wasn't under any obligation to handle media responsibilities Wednesday, but he said he wanted to address his health and be around his teammates.
silentjim

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:19 am

Wonder if the ref's will continue to let the guys play in the 2nd half? Man was it physical in the 1st - wonder either if any team comes out with a little less steam in the 2nd or starts to tire in the 4th quarter. Be nice if guys start making shots too...
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 706)

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:32 am

I swear Kobe has been the worst player on the court at times tonight but he's been bailed out by the icicle known as Ray Allen. 5 minutes to go...
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:01 am

Congratz Lakers - my MVP - Ron Artest. Did anyone catch how he thanked his psychiatrist a few times? 8-o
RedHopeful

Postby jackie hayes » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:48 am

I watch Mexico play a beautiful game in the WC, then stay awake to watch...this. Blech.

So now we can guiltlessly start a full-time LBJ-watch, right?
jackie hayes
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting