Draft Discussion - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe


Return to FBC Reshuffle II

Draft Discussion

Moderators: silentjim, RedHopeful, mbuser, jphanned

Re: Draft Discussion

Postby hi chi » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:11 pm

Alright C2C. A team comparison it is then. The first thing that hits me looking at the teams is one team is size orientated (yours) and the other is speed orientated and a little more defensive (mine).

At the PG we have Stuckey vs. Collison.

For me there is no comparison here. Stuckey can take it to the hole and has a size advantage, but lacks a real outside game and is not a real ball distributer (who is getting the ball to Amare and Martin). While Collison is a tough defender (speed), has a good shot from three and the field, can distribute the ball at close to an elite level, and will be a floor general under the guidance of Fisher.

At SG we have Martin vs. Thabo. Martin is clearly the better offensive player and Thabo is clearly the better defensive player. Seeing how Thabo shuts down pretty much every SG in the league (Kobe, Wade, and yes Martin) this is a major problem for your team as you are counting on Martin's scoring for your team. The fact that Martin is one of the worst defensive SGs in the league is a bonus for me because my team doesn't need Thabo to score, but anything he produces is a bonus.

At SF we have Delfino vs. Gay. For me this is a no brainer. Delfino can't defend Rudy and Rudy can defend players with Delfino's skill set with little difficulty. He has trouble with more aggresive players. Gay gets a big check in the Bobcats column.

At PF we have the most interesting matchup. Garnett vs. Bosh. 3 years ago this would be a huge advantage for your team...this year not so much. Garnett can't guard Bosh's quickness and mid-range jumper. Where as Garnett is very guardable by mediocore PFs and Bosh is definently above that level. Again, I see this as a check in the Bobcats column.

At C we have Amare vs. Dalembert. Amare is by far the better offensive player and Daly is by far the better defensive player. For me Amare is the better overall option as he has gotten the better of Daly over the years. The good news for the Bobcats is the 10 points and 8 rebounds we are counting on from Daly are pretty much a lock with Amare guarding him. Overall, Amare gets the check here, but in the grand scheme of things it doesn't affect the Bobcats overall team strategy.

As we go to the bench things get a little tighter:

PGs: Beno has serious holes in his game while Fisher is getting older by the second. In the end Fisher has shown himself to be a winner and to be able to play decent D and can distribute the ball reasonably well. When it comes to crunch time in a game and you need some one to spell the PG Fisher is the guy I would want stepping in.

SG: Peja is getting up there in years as is Parker. When Peja is on it doesn't matter who is guarding him he will hit it. Parker is at significant disadvantage for size, but Peja's post game isn't there so this isn't a huge concern. Parker is quicker and more mobile than Peja and for a spot shooter this is a big advantage as he can move through screens and get open jump shots. For me this match is a wash.

SF: As a backup playing against backups I love Odom. No doubt he will take Crawford to the post all day long. On the other side Crawford should have little problem taking Odom to the rack all game long. In the end Odom's experience and length are a huge advantage as a 6th man.

PF: Yi has a lot of potential and that seems to be the story for him. His game is better suited for the international game I am not convinced he will be able to stay healthy and produce in the NBA. This has been covered. Matt Bonner, well not much to said. We know what we get from him. A steady 15 minute guy off the bench with an outside game.

C: Dampier and Miller both goods and bads. Too tired of this to go into them. They fill up space.

Of course, it is not about player vs. player. It is team vs. team. When the Bobcats play the Blazers there are few undeniable facts:

1. The Blazers lack a player who can distrbute the ball.
2. Kevin Martin (key scorer for Blazers is locked down)
3. The Blazers have no one that can guard Gay.
4. Bosh will usually have his way with Garnett on the offensive end and hinder him on the defensive end.
5. The pieces on the Blazers don't mesh all that well, while the Bobcats have a little more flow to the team

In the end losing key scorers and having no one to get the ball to Amare is going to cause a lot of problems when playing a well rounded team like the Bobcats. These are the facts. I don't see how the Blazers can matchup to beat the Bobcats, but I am sure you will wow me with pics and fun examples. I am waiting.
PG- A. Miller, C. Paul , T Parker, D. Rose
SG-R. Stuckey, R. Foye
SF- L. James, T. Ariza, G. Wallace
PF- U Haslem, D. West, A. McDyess
C- E. Brand, B.Diaw, Darko
hi chi
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1098
(Past Year: 130)
Joined: 12 Jan 2008
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Draft Discussion

Postby Coast to Coast » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:16 pm

hi chi wrote:Alright C2C. A team comparison it is then. The first thing that hits me looking at the teams is one team is size orientated (yours) and the other is speed orientated and a little more defensive (mine).

At the PG we have Stuckey vs. Collison.

For me there is no comparison here. Stuckey can take it to the hole and has a size advantage, but lacks a real outside game and is not a real ball distributer (who is getting the ball to Amare and Martin). While Collison is a tough defender (speed), has a good shot from three and the field, can distribute the ball at close to an elite level, and will be a floor general under the guidance of Fisher.

At SG we have Martin vs. Thabo. Martin is clearly the better offensive player and Thabo is clearly the better defensive player. Seeing how Thabo shuts down pretty much every SG in the league (Kobe, Wade, and yes Martin) this is a major problem for your team as you are counting on Martin's scoring for your team. The fact that Martin is one of the worst defensive SGs in the league is a bonus for me because my team doesn't need Thabo to score, but anything he produces is a bonus.

At SF we have Delfino vs. Gay. For me this is a no brainer. Delfino can't defend Rudy and Rudy can defend players with Delfino's skill set with little difficulty. He has trouble with more aggresive players. Gay gets a big check in the Bobcats column.

At PF we have the most interesting matchup. Garnett vs. Bosh. 3 years ago this would be a huge advantage for your team...this year not so much. Garnett can't guard Bosh's quickness and mid-range jumper. Where as Garnett is very guardable by mediocore PFs and Bosh is definently above that level. Again, I see this as a check in the Bobcats column.

At C we have Amare vs. Dalembert. Amare is by far the better offensive player and Daly is by far the better defensive player. For me Amare is the better overall option as he has gotten the better of Daly over the years. The good news for the Bobcats is the 10 points and 8 rebounds we are counting on from Daly are pretty much a lock with Amare guarding him. Overall, Amare gets the check here, but in the grand scheme of things it doesn't affect the Bobcats overall team strategy.

As we go to the bench things get a little tighter:

PGs: Beno has serious holes in his game while Fisher is getting older by the second. In the end Fisher has shown himself to be a winner and to be able to play decent D and can distribute the ball reasonably well. When it comes to crunch time in a game and you need some one to spell the PG Fisher is the guy I would want stepping in.

SG: Peja is getting up there in years as is Parker. When Peja is on it doesn't matter who is guarding him he will hit it. Parker is at significant disadvantage for size, but Peja's post game isn't there so this isn't a huge concern. Parker is quicker and more mobile than Peja and for a spot shooter this is a big advantage as he can move through screens and get open jump shots. For me this match is a wash.

SF: As a backup playing against backups I love Odom. No doubt he will take Crawford to the post all day long. On the other side Crawford should have little problem taking Odom to the rack all game long. In the end Odom's experience and length are a huge advantage as a 6th man.

PF: Yi has a lot of potential and that seems to be the story for him. His game is better suited for the international game I am not convinced he will be able to stay healthy and produce in the NBA. This has been covered. Matt Bonner, well not much to said. We know what we get from him. A steady 15 minute guy off the bench with an outside game.

C: Dampier and Miller both goods and bads. Too tired of this to go into them. They fill up space.

Of course, it is not about player vs. player. It is team vs. team. When the Bobcats play the Blazers there are few undeniable facts:

1. The Blazers lack a player who can distrbute the ball.
2. Kevin Martin (key scorer for Blazers is locked down)
3. The Blazers have no one that can guard Gay.
4. Bosh will usually have his way with Garnett on the offensive end and hinder him on the defensive end.
5. The pieces on the Blazers don't mesh all that well, while the Bobcats have a little more flow to the team

In the end losing key scorers and having no one to get the ball to Amare is going to cause a lot of problems when playing a well rounded team like the Bobcats. These are the facts. I don't see how the Blazers can matchup to beat the Bobcats, but I am sure you will wow me with pics and fun examples. I am waiting.

ImageImage
I will respond tonight... :-]
Image
Coast to Coast
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1479
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 24 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Draft Discussion

Postby hi chi » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:41 pm

Loving the pics. ;-D
hi chi
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1098
(Past Year: 130)
Joined: 12 Jan 2008
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Draft Discussion

Postby Skippyoz » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:36 am

Aaron Gray in the 10th Round. Oh well. He's a legit 7-footer which is what we need the most at this point in the draft.

Aaron is entering his age-26 season and has only 149 games under his belt; he still has room to improve. The Nets love the fact that his Rebounding and Shot Blocking have increased, on a per-36 minute basis, in all three years that he's been in the NBA. Gray has started 19 games in his brief NBA career. In those games, he has averaged 18 minutes, 6.6 boards and 4.8 points a game while shooting 46% from the field and 85% from the line.
Skippyoz
College Captain
College Captain

Cafe Writer
Posts: 490
(Past Year: 20)
Joined: 7 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Draft Discussion

Postby Skippyoz » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:09 am

Hey guys... I'm out of town for the next few days. Feel free to SKIP my turn; I'll make any picks when I get back, I promise (next Thursday, Sept 23).
Skippyoz
College Captain
College Captain

Cafe Writer
Posts: 490
(Past Year: 20)
Joined: 7 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Draft Discussion

Postby RedHopeful » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:18 am

Finally caught up on all the posts. :*)

Loving the throwdown you two (hi chi, C2C) are doing and looking forward in seeing how it turns out. Perhaps a few of us should judge a winner considering how much time you guys have spent (promise to be fair to you C2C :-B ).
Image
RedHopeful
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 18252
(Past Year: 603)
Joined: 11 Jul 2007
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: http://twitter.com/Redhopeful

Re: Draft Discussion

Postby Coast to Coast » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:37 am

RedHopeful wrote:Finally caught up on all the posts. :*)

Loving the throwdown you two (hi chi, C2C) are doing and looking forward in seeing how it turns out. Perhaps a few of us should judge a winner considering how much time you guys have spent (promise to be fair to you C2C :-B ).

Oohh - it will be like an American Idol showdown
Image

I will be David Cook...
Image

HiChi will be Sanjaya...
Image

Redd can be the snarky Simon Cowell...
Image

and Sabonis can be Paula Abdul...:-]
Image

and oh yeah, Aquaman can be Kara DiGuardi... }:-)
Image
Image
Coast to Coast
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1479
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 24 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Draft Discussion

Postby Nene » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:22 am

Skippyoz wrote:Aaron Gray in the 10th Round. Oh well. He's a legit 7-footer which is what we need the most at this point in the draft.

Aaron is entering his age-26 season and has only 149 games under his belt; he still has room to improve. The Nets love the fact that his Rebounding and Shot Blocking have increased, on a per-36 minute basis, in all three years that he's been in the NBA. Gray has started 19 games in his brief NBA career. In those games, he has averaged 18 minutes, 6.6 boards and 4.8 points a game while shooting 46% from the field and 85% from the line.


I went to the Hornets Magic game last year, and Gray is freaking huge. He made Dwight look small. So, that said, he is probably a LEGIT 7 footer in addition to being very beefy.
Nene Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 7103
Joined: 11 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: Leningrad

Re: Draft Discussion

Postby hi chi » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:42 am

:-) LOL. I am on pins and needles waiting to see what you come up with Coast. I am sure it is going to be very entertaining. :-) ;-D
hi chi
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1098
(Past Year: 130)
Joined: 12 Jan 2008
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Draft Discussion

Postby silentjim » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:20 pm

I'm going to say that most people forgot Mike Dunleavy was around. He probably should have been drafted awhile ago. I literally had to search all over just to make sure he wasn't already drafted. ;-D
Image
silentjim
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 11523
(Past Year: 565)
Joined: 23 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: Fundamentals are the crutch of the talentless.

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Reshuffle II

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues



Get Ready...
The 2014 NBA season starts in 11:12 hours
(and 58 days)


  • Fantasy Basketball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact